Page 1 of 2
Hello, i have the grg170dx for ~8 months now.. I think this guitar sucks very hard.. I can't get a good tone with it.. i tried guitar rig and amplitude but all the time it sounds boomy and bassy..

So I'm thinking to upgrade..

What do you think about rg370dx?
I'm playing nu metal (linkin park) and some Metallica..

Will this guitar fit me?
Eww now. I have a RG370Dx, and it's OK but its nowhere near as good quality as you could get from a used RG from around like 90-00, for a price that's equal to or less buying an RG370 new.

I mean, RG370's aren't persay BAD, its just that nothing about them is good... They're mediocre. You'd be having the same problems with an rg370 as your grg170 now.

Plus your tone problem probably lies in your amp and your EQ.. stuff like that

Basically, I'd hunt for a higher quality used guitar on ebay and craigslist before i'd dish out the money for a new RG370, as they're made in indonesia and there's nothing good about that.

In terms of Ibanez guitars, made in japan is what you wanna look for, MiJ is SO much better than MiI. You can feel the difference. If you're looking for ibanez MiJ be sure to check out the back of headstocks and get the serial number (japanese made ibanez start with an F, for fujigen, the factory). However beware of fakes, as always.
Last edited by Zamorak at Jul 28, 2009,
Basically i don't use an amp.. I'm recording to my pc with amplitube or guitar rig or with my multieffect..

The main problem is that I'm lefthanded and i can buy only from Thomann.de..

I can't spend more than 500€ too, so rg370dx is the best..

What do you suggest me to do?
I'm tired with this awful sound of my grg170dx..
If youre playing into your computer nothing is going to sound good. It's not your guitar at this point.
I know many people who using guitar rig and their tone is awesome..

Mine is just AWFUL..
There are many other things coming into play there... sound cards, set up, etc... plug into one of those persons rigs and your guitar will sound better...

But since the rg370 is your only option i guess that's all you can do, but don't expect your tone to suddenly be better. the INF pickups are pretty sub par as it is.
I'm about to throw my guitar from the balcony and end up playing guitar..

I don't know what to do..
I don't want to spend more money for nothing.. I have spend a lot until now..

What about RG1570? I can save some money and buy it..
Quote by EleosFever

What about RG1570? I can save some money and buy it..

Verry good guitar, it's a Prestige...
Dont you need to amplify the signal if its going into a computer first? I have my roland microcube between my guitar/computer and it sounds like a electric guitar had to buy a 1/4 to 1/8 converter to get that to work. I read that if you go from guitar -> computer theres not enough power to boost the sound.
seriously mate. get an amp. no one uses a compurer as there only method of playing guitar. just buy an amp and your tone wil improive because there will be a tone to work with! lol
Mah gear :p

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
BC rich NJ neck thru series warlock
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

"Remember your a WOMBLE!!!"
Quote by Morrie2995
dude you just became my hero. Nice
I use both my amp and multi effects on my computer. maybe you need to use both to get what you need. cheaper then a new guitar! the cable i bought was $8, but you can buy like a $2 converter maybe
Listen to my sound & be the judge. I use an Ibanez RG370DX (Indonesia) with stock INF pickups into an Audigy 2 soundcard(cheap) with Guitar Rig2 software(old) and Sony Acid Pro 6.0 recording software(also old). I paid $100 for the guitar, $0 for the software. You can HEAR IT HERE ON YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzNE9t2jlu4
I think you will be quite amazed at what can be acheived with what some prefer to call 'crap' gear. I prefer to use a Presonus interface into my PC but it's broke so I had to resort to my old soundcard. I love the Ibanez, it's my main guitar.
Quote by Zamorak
There are many other things coming into play there... sound cards, set up, etc...

my friend´s PC has 4Gb ram and it has still delay.

Get a real amp.
always better.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
i know its been some 10 days this topic started but i guess its just u...u wont get half a decent tone if u plug ur guitar into ur computer through a 1/4 1/8 plug...u need a proper soundcard and a pre amp to make it work otherwise u will always have issues with ur amplitube and other vsti's. what id suggest u is to take ur guitar to a local guitar store,plug it into an amp and see the difference..bet me ud end up buyin the amp..
moreover i own a rg 170 and 370 both...370 anyday pawns 170 and is a very good guitar...but u mite want to change those pickups later on...i still use those infinity pickups and manage to land up with amazing tones while gigging
Well, I modified mine quite a bit and it sounds great:

The problem...well, main problem, is the stock pickups. They flat out suck. That's the main problem with the guitar. However, your setup isn't working. You need a new amp or a proper guitar setup.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by sylphin
seriously mate. get an amp. no one uses a compurer as there only method of playing guitar. just buy an amp and your tone wil improive because there will be a tone to work with! lol

Listen to him, he's cool.
I've had no issues getting a decent metallica tone out of my grg170dx

There's a preset in guitar rig 3 called old metallica

I get a awesome tone out of that, but i prefer my cube
BoL7z can record a demo with your guitar rig and grg170dx and upload it?

Kurapica nice.. what pickups you installed?
Yea the stock pups suck alot, but get an amp first.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Hey, i have an amp..

I'm thinkin to change the pickups.. What do you suggest me?
Maybe DIMARZIO DP161WH ones?
They will look cool with my black guitar..

Is it easy to change 'em?
Last edited by EleosFever at Aug 9, 2009,
Quote by EleosFever
I recorded a demo with xtreme metal: DOWNLOAD HERE

My playing is bad i know..
xtreme metal is pretty noise too.. what do you think?

That's def not you're guitar doing that unless your pups are fsked, maybe it's your soundcard?

try turning down the gain or turn your guitar volume to half and up the gain a bit in GR3

Quote by iampeter
BoL7z, do you use a pre-amp with your guitar rig setup? if so, which one?

Nope i just plugged my guitar straight into the PC, If i can be bothered getting another cable i'll try using GR3 again, but i don't have any spares atm,

Unless i can rig something up with a AUX cable i'll try in the morning
Last edited by BoL7z at Aug 9, 2009,
BoL7z maybe it's my soundcard..
What soundcard are u using?

And finally decided to change my pickups..
What do you suggest?
Can someone make a video on youtube on how to change grg170dx pickups?
i'm using just a onboard AC97 on a gigabyte motherboard

Try use a friends PC to see if it is your soundcard fsking with stuff

maybe it's even your lead?
@Kurapica your songs are cool on your myspace.. did you record them with the grg?

Must i change something in the back of my guitar if i change pickups? It seems complicated :/

Kurapica can you write a tutorial if you can?
You can find a bunch of tutorials here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=547959

Thanks for the compliment though ^^ They were recorded quite a long time ago, but it's still nice to hear good feedback about them. The first track was my PGM and the second two tracks were done with a Fender MiM Strat. I'll try and record something with my GRG when I get back so you can hear it. I've got a bunch of new material I've wrote whilst here in Seoul, so when I get back to England I want to record it.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
[quote="wurlytoneI dissagree. Listen to my tone:>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzNE9t2jlu4

I record DRY to the pc THEN add amps/effects with Guitar Rig 2. Normally I use an interface, but it's broken. That's the best method, but, for this recording I am plugged direct to my cheap sound card.
You should really fix the position of your right hand your thumb should not be going over your fretboard like that. Try placing your thumb on the middle of the back of the neck.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
I think you should just buy a decent amp instead of spending money on a new guitar or anything. I have a GRG170DX and I use a Marshall MG30DFX and it sounds pretty good even with the stock pickups. I'm going to change my pickups once i have money but it's fine for now.
think its the rg 350dx? ive got. and it seriously owns i love it, really. got it through a marshall gr50 and a boss gt6, some stompboxes and i love it,it is indo made
Quote by EleosFever
Hello, i have the grg170dx for ~8 months now.. I think this guitar sucks very hard.. I can't get a good tone with it.. i tried guitar rig and amplitude but all the time it sounds boomy and bassy..

So I'm thinking to upgrade..

What do you think about rg370dx?
I'm playing nu metal (linkin park) and some Metallica..

Will this guitar fit me?

Dude, i have a Squier Fat Strat, yes its as **** as your ibanez, but it sounds ok through a alright modeling amp ( my vypyr 75) so GET A AMP.
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Page 1 of 2