Hey I'm going back to college in North Carolina in a couple weeks, and I live in LA. I'm planning on bringing my SG w/ me. I'm flying American Airlines (2 flights, 1 layover). The case I have is the standard Gibson hardshell case that comes with the SG standard. Anyways, after researching, it looks like I'll "probably" be allowed to carry it on, but might have to gate check or actually check it. Does anyone have any experience or advice with this? Is shipping it a good option? Shipping seems like it'd be super expensive....

Thanks for your help guys.
My Gear:

Gibson SG Standard (heritage cherry)
Traynor YCV40WR
Korg Pitchblack
Fulltone Fulldrive 2

Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Fender MIM Strat (black)
Dunlop Crybaby
I wouldn't check it into the cargo hold of the plane tbh. Just avoid that at all costs.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
buy a seat for your guitar, that`s what bb king does for lucille, just give your guitar a female name and check it in under that name..........
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jul 28, 2009,
Can you do that?
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by ibanezgod1973
buy a seat for your guitar, that`s what bb king does for lucille, just give yor guitar a female name and check it in under that name..........

If you're going to spring for the cost of a 2nd plane ticket...Might as well ship it FedEx..

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by ibanezgod1973
just give yor guitar a female name and check it in under that name..........

How hetronormative.
Give it a really manly name.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
just take it with you. chances are even if you do check it nothing will happen to it. its not like the locks on the case will magically open. and light tossing shouldn't mess anything up if it's in a hard case. maybe you should see if the airline has insurance for checked luggage, or a policy for items that they break.
There is a hard case that locks and every airport has a key to when they check it. GC told me about them when i bought a case for my SG and it sounded pretty cool. I'll try to find a link of them for you.

EDIT: Can't find em online but they sell them at guitar center
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Jul 28, 2009,
I took my Les Paul from Washington to NYC as my carry-on without a problem. On the way there they didn't have room in the coat closet so i put it up above in the luggage compartments, and it was fine. On the way back there was room in the coat closet so i put it in there and it was, once again, fine.
Sorry to bring up an old threat, but I saw that TSA SKB case at GC for $130. Thats a pretty penny, but it does seem like a much better case than the standard Gibson one I have. I am thinking I'd be fine with the Gibson case if I carried it on, but if I were to be forced to gate-check, the SKB might be a good idea. Thoughts?

Quote by PattExt2
A SG man at Duke I don't think so!

Oh and I do go to Duke.
My Gear:

Gibson SG Standard (heritage cherry)
Traynor YCV40WR
Korg Pitchblack
Fulltone Fulldrive 2

Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Fender MIM Strat (black)
Dunlop Crybaby
Take it into the overhead, worked for me.

Enter the airport. let the guitar be in your gigbag, Just act normal. and you and your guitar will be on the plane. It breaks the rules, but who cares.

I did it in norway and i've heard its even easier in the US.
I took my classical guitar from ukraine to the states no problem. As long as you only have twi carry ons it should be fine.
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."