ok i was discussing with my freind who is pretty smart and he learns all these scales and stuff and tries to use every one of them...
me however is happy with just using the pentatonic, i find it simple enough and easy to improvise with. i do know my blues, major, minor, mixo, etc. but i just dont use them.

note: im into classic rock such as hendrix, cream, small faces, pink floyd, etc.

any thoughts?
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
Use Them All!
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
i said i just like to mainly use the Pentatonic, occasionly using the blue notes and mabye some chromatic/minor.

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
I try to use every scale I know when I'm improvising. If you stick to the major and minor pentatonic then your playing will eventually begin to sound stale. Even if you use something as simple as a harmonic minor scale during a solo, it will really add some new aspects to your style of playing.

The more scales you know, the more interesting your playing will be.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
You need to learn all the scales and the order. If you're just playing within the same 3-5 frets you can't change it up too much. Once you can move up and down the fretboard it opens everything up.
There be no shelter here.
I don't think you should learn a bunch of crazy scales just for sake of knowing lots of scales.
Eventually, they will get hard to remember.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
You don't HAVE to do anything. The whole point of playing guitar is to have fun, and hopefully express yourself to some extent. If you can do that with pentatonics, great. Its also great that you know other scales, so you have the option of using them if and when you want to
You don't need to learn loads of scales, most modern music is built rounf the major or minor scale anyway. Don't get fooled by thinking you need to learn modes, it's poppycock.

Knowledge is no substitute for creativity - if you can't create something worthwhile from the simple pentatonic scale then you're no more likely to do so with any other scale.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
thanks guize ^.^

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
Quote by neo14085
ok i was discussing with my freind who is pretty smart and he learns all these scales and stuff and tries to use every one of them...
me however is happy with just using the pentatonic, i find it simple enough and easy to improvise with. i do know my blues, major, minor, mixo, etc. but i just dont use them.

note: im into classic rock such as hendrix, cream, small faces, pink floyd, etc.

any thoughts?

The bigger your musical vocabulary, the better. If anything it gives you something to practice with. So yeah, learn as many as you can.
My grandfather would say: "I'm going upstairs to fuck your grandmother". He was an honest man, and he wasn't going to bullshit a four-year-old.

-Carlin
It's good to know you're scales, but don't limit your self diatonically. Not everything has to have theory behind it. I'll play something out of a scale, because it sounds good. I dont care if it's not in the same key or the right scale over a certain chord.
I'm a badass power metal guitarist and all I need to know is the 3 note per string major scale and how to rip other people's songs off.
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
It's useful to know a fair few different scales if you use a lot of different chords with altered notes, or strange chord progressions in order to improvise over them.
But unless you can play a scale in all different positions across the neck, recognise the intervals and notes in the scale and make licks out of the scale in every different key, then what good is trying to learn another?
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Its not about the number of scales you know. After all, there are plenty of musicians who dont actually know theory, but still come up with amazing tunes.

On the other hand, it is sometimes useful to know some.

I tend to improvise using modes, but only stick the the modes of the major scale. They have all the different sounds I usually need.
Been away, am back
i think it doesnt hurt to know scales, maybe at least one for each key, so when youre jamming out of no where, and you ask for the key, you have a scale up your sleeve to improvise to?
just maybe.
Quote by whispertherock
scales are very important in soloing and speed a good book on scales is the guitar grimoire scales and modes by adam kadmon. It is NOT A DEMONIC BOOK . its a book that every guitar player should have here's what it looks like http://www.di-arezzo.com/multimedia...r//couv/gt1.jpg get this its like a dictionary for scales

Scales are nothing to do with speed, and the Guitar Grimoire is horrendously over-rated and not all that useful.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Scales are nothing to do with speed, and the Guitar Grimoire is horrendously over-rated and not all that useful.
+1

I never saw the point of books of scales for guitar - all you need is the formula for a scale and you can play it in any key anyway...so whats the point of the book (other than to make money)?