I'm looking for a new strap for my bass as my current one is to thin and starts hurting after a while. So I'm looking for something wide and comfortable.

So bass forum, what do you suggest?
My suggestion:

There's an innumerable amount of straps available on the market, all by an equally innumerable amount of companies. I highly suggest you go to a music store and test a lot of straps that are to your liking.

If you get a strap, try to get one with padding on the area where it will be hanging on your shoulder. I found this to be a LOT more comfortable but honestly, that's something you'll notice immediatly yourself.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Ibanez RG 7 EXFX (27'' scale, 2x EMG 707)

Amp:
Mesa/Boogie Studio .20 Caliber

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
Quote by zachrudicel93
do you really need someone to tell you what kind of strap to get? grow a backbone dude. =D

Grow some manners son.

My recommendation? Get a good neoprene strap like Ben has recommended or check out Levy's straps. They're not cheap but a less money than a good chiropractor.
Quote by anarkee
Grow some manners son.

My recommendation? Get a good neoprene strap like Ben has recommended or check out Levy's straps. They're not cheap but a less money than a good chiropractor.

Win, Anarkee. I agree with a Levy's, cloth or otherwise. I find that their huge leather straps are really comfortable. Just don't get the one with those German crosses on it, and it's not too tacky.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Levys-Padded-Leather-Guitar-Strap-with-Buckles?sku=369211

UGLY, but probably really comfortable

http://www.amazon.com/Levys-Leathers-Leather-Strap-Foam-lined/dp/B000XPNQ9Y
Levy's makes the best Neoprene strap if you don't mind the super duper amount of stretch. Comfort Strapp is great if you string your bass high and don't mind not moving it. Also I believe I hipped Ben onto the Neotech so it's a fine alternative as well.

For my Vampyre I use a Levy's 3" leather strap. It's under the Hard Rock section and it's plain. Believe James Hetfield also uses it.

In any event, the key is width.

EDIT: This is the one I use:
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Levys-Leather-Guitar-Strap-wTri-Glide-Adjust-?sku=360437
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Jul 28, 2009,
I got a really wide leather strap with a suede lining and I never want to use anything else.
I second the Neotech. It's what I got for my sax neck strap, and within a week, all of my neck pain was gone. I'm getting one of their straps as soon as I can, mine's killing me.
Wide leather strap. At least I am using one and really pleased with it.
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
I use a chain I got from the local hardware store.
Gear I Want:
-Boss GEB-7
-Boss LMB-3
-Boss CEB-3
-Korg Pitchblack
-Boss ODB-3
-Fender Road Worn 50s Precision Bass

Gear I Have:
-Peavey Millennium BXP =]
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C =D
Quote by NearDissent

Now that's metal.

But seriously, I wanna get one of these padded straps. Sound comfortable, I'm using a stock Ibanez one ATM. And on my 4, I'm using a Levy's strap with metal holes in. Ouch...

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by m4l666
Now that's metal.

But seriously, I wanna get one of these padded straps. Sound comfortable, I'm using a stock Ibanez one ATM. And on my 4, I'm using a Levy's strap with metal holes in. Ouch...

It's only truly br00tal if it's made out of barbed wire

Anyway, I like the look of the 3 inch leather one
Quote by NearDissent

lol^

i work in a hardware store...

and get a wiiiide mofo. im lookin into gettin a levy myself
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
It actually doesn't hurt if you wear a hoodie or leather jacket with it. I wear a T-Shirt onstage, though, and constantly jump around, so my shoulder doesn't look too pretty at the end of the night.
Gear I Want:
-Boss GEB-7
-Boss LMB-3
-Boss CEB-3
-Korg Pitchblack
-Boss ODB-3
-Fender Road Worn 50s Precision Bass

Gear I Have:
-Peavey Millennium BXP =]
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C =D