Alright, I'm a fairly expierenced six string guitarist and am fairly good at finger picking on acoustic. So I can kind of play bass, though not very well...however I'm looking to pick up another instrument and am going with Bass instead of the drums (I'll get into Drums soon enough...just an apartment dweller for now), and I was wondering what I should buy to start out. When I first started playing guitar I bought a ****ty 300 dollar Ibanez jump pack...when I should have just bought an RG and a decent amp for around 800 bucks. Suffice it to say I don't want to make the same mistake when I get into bass. Suggestions.
My grandfather would say: "I'm going upstairs to fuck your grandmother". He was an honest man, and he wasn't going to bullshit a four-year-old.

-Carlin
Congrats on picking up bass!

Well, first a few questions:
What kind of music do you play?
Are you buying a bass amp as well?
Is your budget $800 or something different?
Don't assume you can play bass because you can play guitar.
All that means is that you can play guitar songs on bass.
Bass is an entirely different instrument and involves a very different state of mind, and attitude to the music you're making.

There is also a list of starter basses in the FAQ.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The FAQ has a bunch of good beginner amps and basses for cheap, just in case you find bass isn't your thing in the end.

Actually I was planning to buy used...that way I can sell the stuff for about what I paid in the first place. When you first pick up an instrument, always buy used.
My grandfather would say: "I'm going upstairs to fuck your grandmother". He was an honest man, and he wasn't going to bullshit a four-year-old.

-Carlin
Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly

+1. Can't really give you a straight answer till we know all that.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly

I play all kinds...though is what really got me into bass was Trujillo's bass line in "Cyanide," and my favorite bassist is Billy Sheehan, I also like Justin Chancellor. FWIW

Yep yep

I'll likely buy used unless I get a killer deal on something new, so if I can get a sweet bass rig for 800 I'll probably do that. I was just using the above example, as for 500 more I could have gotten something much better...instead I have a guitar I rarely use (though it's not a bad guitar) and a worthless amp laying around.

-Carlin
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Well, sure go used by all means, but keep in mind that the basses listed in the FAQ are absolute workhorses for a great price. Plus if you were into modding, I'd personally rather mod a starter bass as opposed to a more expensive used bass.

Modding? Please, I think I should play for a year or two before I start doing that...but yeah, I'll check out the FAQ and see what I find on Craigslist (just hope I don't get killed **fingers crossed**) and stuff like that...I was just wondering what I should look for.

EDIT: maybe a few suggestions too

-Carlin
Quote by Casketcreep
Don't assume you can play bass because you can play guitar.
All that means is that you can play guitar songs on bass.
Bass is an entirely different instrument and involves a very different state of mind, and attitude to the music you're making.

Totally, though I can actually play some stuff on a bass. I've played at a friends place, at random gigs etc. This one chick got a bass because she thinks Pete Wentz is awesome, and I was making fun of her because Wentz sucks and she said "prove it" and I was able to play all of his stuff just by looking at a tab for like 20 minutes...I know it's not the same as playing an actual bassist's bass lines, but I can play a bit. I'm not totally new to this stuff I can play a bit of stuff, enough to show off to people who don't know what they're doing; but lets just say if a local cover band were looking for a good bassist, I probably wouldn't be the one to call.

-Carlin
Quote by <3 Herman <3
Totally, though I can actually play some stuff on a bass. I've played at a friends place, at random gigs etc. This one chick got a bass because she thinks Pete Wentz is awesome, and I was making fun of her because Wentz sucks and she said "prove it" and I was able to play all of his stuff just by looking at a tab for like 20 minutes...I know it's not the same as playing an actual bassist's bass lines, but I can play a bit. I'm not totally new to this stuff I can play a bit of stuff, enough to show off to people who don't know what they're doing; but lets just say if a local cover band were looking for a good bassist, I probably wouldn't be the one to call.

I had dinner with Pete Wentz, he's a remarkably nice guy

Alright, back to your questions. Since you'll be playing heavier stuff, I would definitely recommend something with a fat, punchy sounding pickup. The Musicman SUB would fit this criteria; it's a fun, inexpensive bass very similar to the Stingray. Not extremely versatile, but a fine bass. You may also look into used Warwicks. Corvettes go for really low prices these days. This is also an option:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sterling-by-Music-Man-RAY34-Bass?sku=580995

Are you set on 4 string, or would you be open to a 5 or 6?

Although I don't like them, Ibanez makes pretty good, versatile basses that usually have pretty good playabilty. Check out the SR500/ 505 and the BTB series. Good learning bass that should last you for a while.

Spector Legends have impressed me, and I dig the looks.

As for amps, definitely look into a nice used combo. These go on craigslist for great prices. Since you're just getting into bass, I would look in an Ampeg 2x10 combo (I think it's called the BA?) or a Carvin combo. Both a reliable and pretty good for the money. The Acoustic B100 is simple, affordable, and sounds pretty good.

Good luck!
As to the 4/5/6 string question...I have a 7 string guitar and I like the extra crunch it gives me...so I wouldn't be opposed to a 5 string, as to a 6 string...those are usually pretty fat, and to learn I'd want something more playable. I'll look at the Waricks, the Music Man's, and the Peavys...as to Ibanez, they make amazing instruments. At first I was probably looking to get either one of those or a Schecter. How much should I look to drop on a combo (used)?

Also, I do like the heavy stuff, but I like all types of music. I love Jaco, Flea, McCartney, Wooten, Clarke, Squire, Deacon, Entwisle, Jones, Sting, and lots of other softer bassists. I'd likely want something versatile...though on guitar it's usually the am that gives you the most versatility.

Also, I'm sure Wentz is a good guy.

-Carlin
Quote by <3 Herman <3
As to the 4/5/6 string question...I have a 7 string guitar and I like the extra crunch it gives me...so I wouldn't be opposed to a 5 string, as to a 6 string...those are usually pretty fat, and to learn I'd want something more playable. I'll look at the Waricks, the Music Man's, and the Peavys...as to Ibanez, they make amazing instruments. At first I was probably looking to get either one of those or a Schecter. How much should I look to drop on a combo (used)?

Also, I do like the heavy stuff, but I like all types of music. I love Jaco, Flea, McCartney, Wooten, Clarke, Squire, Deacon, Entwisle, Jones, Sting, and lots of other softer bassists. I'd likely want something versatile...though on guitar it's usually the am that gives you the most versatility.

Also, I'm sure Wentz is a good guy.

Yea, I think 6s are really unnecessary. In all my years of gigging, I have never once needed a C string. But the low B is use all the time.

Since I misunderstood your intended genres, I would definitely suggest the Spector or Ibanez. Both a really versatile and easy to play. Look for one with soapbar pickups.
What is a soap bar pick up? Also, what should I look to drop on a used combo?

-Carlin
Quote by <3 Herman <3
What is a soap bar pick up? Also, what should I look to drop on a used combo?

A soapbar is a wide, usually dual-coil pickup which has a warmer, rounder tone than the punchiness of a jazz pickup, but not usually as muddy as most precision p/ups. Bartolini is my personal fav maker of soapbars.

For a combo, it all depends on the brand and model. However, since you are just starting off, I would cap it at $400.
Sweet.

-Carlin