Poll: Should I continue playing?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should I continue playing?
yes
55 89%
no
7 11%
Voters: 62.
Basically, I have been playing guitar for just over a year now, and I have seemed to have lost my flair when I play. I noticed that when I got my electric guitar I always wanted to play, but now it doesn't seem attractive anymore.
As I am starting 6th form (16-18 only college), I was wondering, would it be best for me to pack in, or is there any advice you can give me that will inspire my playing again.

EDIT: From what I have read, I have decided that I will pick it up again after I get back from holiday, then try and write some basic powerchord riffs to make me feel good about guitar again. Thanks to all you that have submitted responses and voted in the pole .
Last edited by LukeElliff at Jul 28, 2009,
Try acoustic maybe?

I lost interest in playing electric for a while. Instead I started playing mostly acoustic. Now I'm playing electric a little more again, but I'm still mostly playing acoustic.
Why did you start playing in the first place? Think about that when you play. It should inspire you to play the same way when you started.
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
thats a doozy. im not voting cause its up to you man... if you feel you dont seem interested in it for some reason and think that you wont be into it anymore, then youll get your answer.

but if somehow you have a little feeling inside you that wants to learn again and keep on playing and feel the beauty of a guitar, then grab that axe and shred away.

"the end has no end"
If you have to ask yourself "Should I continue playing guitar?" then just put that **** down forever

edit:...im jk
Last edited by l33TgUiT@rd00d at Jul 28, 2009,
don't give it up...some of the greats have gotten disheartened with their instruments at an early age but they persevered....gary moore and clapton for example
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
I quit for 6 months, I tell you now, it was the biggest mistake of my life!

What got me back on track was when some band asked me to play guitar in one o their songs live.

I suggest you try new genres, new techniques and try to form a band!
I quit for a year. Started playing again and understood what I was doing. Stopped again, played bass for a year. Stopped because bass made me depressed (idk.), started guitar again, and I'm as good as ever now.
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;
A generation born to witness
The end of the world

Pretty much everyone goes through a period of doubt where they lose interest in playing. Mine came at pretty much the same time as yours, and I am really glad that I stuck it out and kept going.

Its completely up to you, but my opinion is to keep plaing
i quit for a few weeks, but i missed playing some of my favourite songs. I just had to learn some new stuff and Now i'm playing all the time so my advice:

Learn Some New Songs
Gear

Guitars
Ibanez ART 300
Squier Strat
Godin 12 string Antique cedarburst
Ibanez RGD 320

Amps
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Peavey Solo 15 W
Fender 10 W

Effects
Dunlop GCB - 95 Crybaby wah
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Boss MT-2 Distortion
Yeah there are always moments when you just wont play for ages. Maybe listen to some cool instrumentals to get you motivated.
Quote by daytripper75
Try acoustic maybe?

This.

Also, try listening to new music. You might find some inspiration to stick with it.
It's not for everybody. If you're not sure, I advise putting it down for a couple weeks and seeing how you feel about it. For some people, it comes and goes. We're not all going to be professional musicians, or even weekend bar musicians. Some of us just like to play now and again. If you miss playing, or you find yourself thinking of riff ideas, then you're back. If after a few weeks you don't miss it ... well, maybe it wasn't your thing.

You might also want to try a different instrument. I know a lot of people (myself included) that really enjoy playing bass, and go back and forth. When I feel like I'm stuck on the guitar and I can't look at it anymore, I pick up the bass.
I kinda quit for a year, worst thing I did....

EVER

This is because I started playing again

I would recommend trying to learn harder things and focus
to reinspire yourself try branching out listen and play new stuff/genres or try writing songs and expressing yourself with music.

(try write something very cheezy for a laugh or colab with another musician around your area or on UG.)
good look getting back on top. :P
COLOURS
What's your fav colour? (Color if you don't use the U)
Try out a new style of music. If you play metal, try learn some pop, vary it a bit. I had this same problem. I felt like quitting, then I stood back and took a look at what I wanted from guitar playing, and moved on from there.

Learning some popular songs and arranging them for acoustic guitar is also tons of fun. I remember learning MGMT's Kids and I couldn't stop playing it for ages. I'm working on a version of Beautiful Day stripped down. It's great fun once you mix it up.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
try jamming with people or try getting in a band. also maybe try taking up a new instrument like bass or something.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by LukeElliff
Basically, I have been playing guitar for just over a year now, and I have seemed to have lost my flair when I play..

dude you played for a year... i doubt you had any real flair when you played.

quit. (edit: jk of course.. never stop playing dude)
Quote by King Twili
It's just me and Doris here ;_;

Quote by Zaphikh
Poops is the chat MC - but here we know him as Early Cuyler.

Free Downloads, Yo!
Quote by Early Cuyler
dude you played for a year... i doubt you had any real flair when you played.

quit. (edit: jk of course.. never stop playing dude)

dude i meant as in I could pick up my guitar and I just felt the magic flowing through my body as if I had been transformed as soon as the strap was over my shoulder.
get a nice, odd, or semi-complicated effects pedal

I kinda lost my desire, then I got a Big Muff Pi and I love it again

I'm planning on getting a POG or Synth pedal next time
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by pwninator123
get a nice, odd, or semi-complicated effects pedal

I kinda lost my desire, then I got a Big Muff Pi and I love it again

I'm planning on getting a POG or Synth pedal next time

I did get a distortion pedal from Total Guitar a couple of months back and enjoyed experimenting with it inside practice, especially combining it with a whammy bar and running random objects over the strings.
Play some acoustic
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Keep at it, I stopped playing seriously for about 6 months to a year maybe, I just lost interest. I think I started when I was asked to join a band, that definately gets you motivated.
Above post may or may not be true.