Hi there!

I searched but couldn't find the answer I was looking for so I'll make this thread. I'm a novice guitar player who's been learning for a few months and is starting to make some progress (still working on a full song but I'm really good with my riffs). I play a lot of stuff like Green Day, Paramore and anything like that mostly, but also some ACDC and similar stuff.

Question is, do I need any pedals? Since I'm now trying to work on effects and getting a song to sound great. A lot of Guitar Pro stuff I look at says like: Overdriven Guitar, Distortion Guitar and a couple music books have had Wah in them. Would I at any point need to go out and buy any pedals to get these sounds? If I do, any recommendations? (Pretty settled on the DS-1 if I need a Distortion Pedal)

Have a Vox VT30 amp and a Squire Strat.
Your amp should be able to produce the basic overdrive, distortion, chorus, delay, reverb etc to cover the bases; but you might want to get a wah pedal to add some expression to various solos etc.
Doesn't that amp have a lot of different modelling settings?
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Pedals through a modeling amp = mud and/or slop.

OD pedals are generally used to run through the front end of a good combo or stack on low gain in order to tighten up existing distortion. FX through a modeling amp, well, like said above. It doesn't usually sound good.
Great, thanks, I did know I could do a lot of effects but I wasn't too sure if pedals did a better job. Tried to do Overdrive (I've been turning up the Gain) and Distortion (Messing with Gain, Treble, Mid and Bass).

Might look into a Wah pedal though.