I'm trying to learn "Pendulous Skin" by Mastodon and have no idea how to play a chord in one part:

|-----------^9--7-(7)-----|--------------7----------|
|-----------^8--8-(8)---7-|-(7)--8-7--------8-------|
|-----------^9--9-(9)-----|-------------------9-----|
|-----------^9--9-(9)-----|------------9----------9-|
|-----------^7--7-(7)-----|-------------------------|
|-0----0------------------|-------------------------|

It seems like I don't have enough fingers to play the first chord here, anyone have any suggetions?
You've got the E in the bass anyway, so I would say just play the 5, 1, m3 and 6 (leave out the 7th fret 5th string E).
I would assume the D and G strings would have to be barred with your ring finger and the e string with your pinky but that would be very difficult to do in time and have every string ring out...

edit: what he said^
Last edited by downey17 at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by downey17
I would assume the D and G strings would have to be barred with your ring finger and the e string with your pinky but that would be very difficult to do in time and have every string ring out...
That's what I would do.

Quote by downey17

That is what I was thinking, although I can't seem to get it down
Quote by downey17

I was trying that out of curiosity. I think you'd probably have to be double jointed in your ring finger in order to pull that off though.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
The second chord is just a standard Em barre chord so i assume you're ok with that.

I would play it the same as i would with thumb-over type chords when doing hendrix stuff and just leave out/mute the 5th, in this case the 9th fret D string. i.e play the chord - 07x989 which is playable.

EDIT: since you have 3 octaves in that chord it seems more sensible to mute the highest E and keep the 5th in - so play 079x89 instead
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by blue_strat
You've got the E in the bass anyway, so I would say just play the 5, 1, m3 and 6 (leave out the 7th fret 5th string E).

how would leaving out the 7th fret high E help at all, it's the chord before he's having issues with surely, the second is just a normal Em

EDIT: dp - i apologise :s
EDIT 2: my misreading sorry - now i look like a total fool on 2 levels

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by blue_strat

Hmm, that is a good idea, although that is still really tricky, epecially if I am to get to the Dm on time (the song is in D standard by the way)
Quote by Mumbo Jumbo
Hmm, that is a good idea, although that is still really tricky, epecially if I am to get to the Dm on time (the song is in D standard by the way)

if you treat at an Em barre chord then take your pinky off the G string (as if to make it a Em7) but use your ring to mute the G. Then use your free pinky to add the 6th to the bottom of the chord - it's then almost no movement to return to the Em for the second chord.

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more