Page 1 of 2
So I am about to get a new Gibson Les Paul, and theres so many kinds that I'm a little undecided. So here are the pickups that come with each:

Standard: Bustbucker pros
Traditional: '57 Classic humbuckers
Traditional Pro: BurstBucker 3 and '57 Classic

So according to the guitar itself and the combination of the pickups, which one is better?

P.S: I play rock and metal, such as Guns n Roses, Metallica, Killswitch engage, Van Halen.
Why do you want a Les Paul? If you're buying a new one, they're over priced, not very playable, the wood selection is meh, and the tone isn't the same as the old ones. You're paying an extra seven hundred bucks for that G word on the headstock. My advice, get an Ibanez, Schecter, or an ESP with two humbuckers that will be quite a bit cheaper than a Les Paul, sound just as good if not better, have the same quality wood, and be quite a bit more playable. I mean if you're a Gibson loyalist, that's fine...but if you like the sound you can get a better sound for cheaper.
My grandfather would say: "I'm going upstairs to fuck your grandmother". He was an honest man, and he wasn't going to bullshit a four-year-old.

-Carlin
agree with Herman. I hate Gibsons. If u play Metallica and GnR, get a Schecter or ESP. A real Metal-head doesnt play Gibsons
get the standard. i hate it when people say that gibsons are crap, i have a gibson lp and its marvellous. ge the standard cos the pickups are better for what you play. Randy rhoads played an lp and he seemed to enjoy it. kirk hammett still uses various gibsons, despite his signature esp one. same with hetfield. daron malakian uses sg's. either way, don't listen to those sillies. if you like playing one, and if it fits, you will highly enjoy it. indeed, i can't wait to get my second one.
Last edited by masterp666 at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by Lagunaguitar
agree with Herman. I hate Gibsons. If u play Metallica and GnR, get a Schecter or ESP. A real Metal-head doesnt play Gibsons

A brand on the headstock of a guitar does not determine whether you are a metal head or not.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

i heard the burstbucker pros sound really muddy.
ithink the traditional pro might be best, the burstbucker 3 will give high enough output for metal and the 57 can give nice cleans

may be cheaper to just swap the humbuckers in the standard though, also depends on the amp
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Quote by Lagunaguitar

I guess zakk wylde or the guys from in flames or mastodon arent metalheads

O yeah and most other bands bands INCLUDING METALLICA AND MEGADETH(friedman used them along with his infamous jacksons from 1994-1999) I guess just aren't metal heads, just a bunch of posers who happen to play real music

rats

trans pro would be your best bet

and before someone esle says it, an appropriate amp is also needed to deliver a good metal sound
Last edited by FallenSaint at Jul 28, 2009,
HAHAHA im sry i just thought i heard you say that ibanez makes better guitars than gibson HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
Quote by FallenSaint
I guess zakk wylde or the guys from in flames or mastodon arent metalheads

Zakk Wylde's Les Paul and ANY LES PAUL YOU CAN BUY AT A GUITAR STORE are very very very different. Wylde's weighs about 35 pounds and is completely custom.

O yeah and most other bands bands INCLUDING METALLICA AND MEGADETH(friedman used them along with his infamous jacksons from 1994-1999) I guess just aren't metal

Old Gibsons were awesome, if you can get a Les Paul from around the 80s or so that's going to be a fine guitar, and again if you're in a big band like Megadeth or Metallica Gibson WILL make you an awesome guitar to your exact specifications. Some of the new Explorers are nice, but as a whole, not a fan of most Gibsons.
My grandfather would say: "I'm going upstairs to fuck your grandmother". He was an honest man, and he wasn't going to bullshit a four-year-old.

-Carlin
I tried playing GnR on a Gibson once, it's physically impossible.
Quote by masterp666
get the standard. i hate it when people say that gibsons are crap, i have a gibson lp and its marvellous. ge the standard cos the pickups are better for what you play. Randy rhoads played an lp and he seemed to enjoy it. kirk hammett still uses various gibsons, despite his signature esp one. same with hetfield. daron malakian uses sg's. either way, don't listen to those sillies. if you like playing one, and if it fits, you will highly enjoy it. indeed, i can't wait to get my second one.

Again, Kirk and James do not use new Gibsons, theirs are old. The old Gibsons were bad ass. Kirk's Gibsons are pretty old, as are James', I think his Explorer is an 80s model. Also Randy died before Gibson started making crap. Go ahead, waste your money on a substandard guitar, I don't care.

-Carlin
Quote by twat

exactly how? id really like to know.
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Quote by twat

Slash has an ACTUAL 59 Les Paul, which is a bad ass guitar, I'm sure he would never play an actual Studio LP that you can buy at Guitar Center.

-Carlin
Quote by slash4114
A brand on the headstock of a guitar does not determine whether you are a metal head or not.

I don't know many Metalheads that play Hofners

-Carlin
Irony my friend, it was the fact some guy here said if you liked Guns n Roses you shouldn't play a Gibson, despite Slash obviously being an icon with the Les Paul.
Slash has an ACTUAL 59 Les Paul, which is a bad ass guitar, I'm sure he would never play an actual Studio LP that you can buy at Guitar Center.

Yeah, I'm just saying that comment was kind of stupid really.
Quote by twat
Irony my friend, it was the fact some guy here said if you liked Guns n Roses you shouldn't play a Gibson, despite Slash obviously being an icon with the Les Paul.

Yeah, but you should say "Slash makes that style of music with this set up, so can I" I mean...Slash's LPs are quite a bit different than what you buy at the store, or even the custom shop. He also doesn't pay for his equipment, if you're paying for a guitar, I'd recommend getting an Ibanez or a Schecter becuase they're just as good if not better than the Gibson's you'd buy, AND they're cheaper.

-Carlin
As in
THAT comment, not yours.

Slash did commission his signature model though, so he can't think they are all that bad.
Quote by twat
Yeah, I'm just saying that comment was kind of stupid really.

-Carlin
This thread is the biggest load of crap on these fine forums. If you don't like any of the 3 guitars he posted, GTFO!!!! He isn't asking your opinion on how crappy Gibsons are.

OT, I would get the Standard. The other two don't live up to the other Les PAuls I have played.

edit: In addition, why would you recomend an Ibanez or a Shecter, if he wants a LES FREAKING PAUL! Maybe likes the feel of a Gibson, or the sound. And not all Gibsons are crappy. And saying that our favorite artists don't pay for their guitars and that they're not the samne at the stores is crap. You can play whatever you want on a Les Paul. Herman, do you own Zakk Wylde's guitar? But can you play his music if you wanted to? You sure can.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Last edited by Pencil Man at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by twat

Slash did commission his signature model though, so he can't think they are all that bad.

Oh, I'm sure his sig is nice (and not EXACTLY what he plays, because he still wants to maintain his unique sound and doesn't want ALL of his tone secrets revealed(, just overpriced. I mean, you can't honestly tell me that Slash's sig which I guess is around 3 grand is a better guitar than the 1200 dollar JS model. If you have the money, and wand the G word on your headstock, go for it...but if you just want the sound of a LP, there's lots of guitars that do it for cheaper.

-Carlin
I can attest to the Satriani Ibanez. I have a Les Paul Classic and it's my main guitar but that Ibanez fits PERFECTLY in the middle of the LP and Strat. Pain in the a$$ to keep up though.... I change strings Often and it is Not fun. But if you set it up right and use it right it can do any style any time anywhere.

You have to own a LP to be able to play a LP to the guy that "tried" to play GnR on a LP. you can't just borrow a friends and start tearing it up.

ESP Eclipse...... not if you have a boutique amp. The other guitar player in my band bought one about 6 months ago and it plays nice and everything but it has a very "softer" sound than our LP's. And not in a good way either. It's like the pickups have some sort of plastic film or something on them...... of course they don't but it's the only way I can describe what it sounds like. Weak is about right but not quite the right word. Combine the weight, wood, hardware, pickups, neck, fretboard, ect. ect. And the combination of Inferior parts equals a more inferior guitar than you would think.

So be careful of the ESP Eclipse.
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
Crap on comparing Schecter to Gibson Les Pauls. Please. Not even in the same league. But then again maybe the "New" Gibsons aren't all that but considering the total package the Gibsons are way way better. #1 they last forever, road warrior style. #2 they stay in tune better, Intonate better, Sustain better, and hold value better. "Lots of guitars sound like Les Pauls and are cheaper.....". Not if you have top end equipment down the line. I mean audiophile type. I don't know too many guitar players that could afford $2000 to $3000 and higher for a guitar that don't own a Les Paul. If you got money then your hands should never touch a Schecter.
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
Quote by JasonUGA311
I can attest to the Satriani Ibanez. I have a Les Paul Classic and it's my main guitar but that Ibanez fits PERFECTLY in the middle of the LP and Strat. Pain in the a$$ to keep up though.... I change strings Often and it is Not fun. But if you set it up right and use it right it can do any style any time anywhere.

Ibanez's ZR trem is quite a bit better than the Edge Pro, but if you don't whale on the trem or change strings often...it's awesome. Also how old is your LP?

-Carlin
If Slash gave away his Les Paul, it wouldn't give away his "tone secrets". If Jimi Hendrix handed his guitar to you, you wouldn't sound like him. If you can't play a guitar without it being modded, you, sir, are a ****ty player.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Les Paul is from 1996 with custom shop binding kind of like the more recent re-issues.... but in other words they've made a lot of Goldtop's since then that aren't quite as good. you can see the differences in the woods on the newer models.

Yeah I don't wail on the Trem. Really only bought the Ibanez cause I got a buddy that works at GC and they had that Black Monday 20% off deal so I ended up getting it with a case for under 1g.
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
Quote by JasonUGA311
Crap on comparing Schecter to Gibson Les Pauls. Please. Not even in the same league. But then again maybe the "New" Gibsons aren't all that but considering the total package the Gibsons are way way better. #1 they last forever, road warrior style. #2 they stay in tune better, Intonate better, Sustain better, and hold value better. "Lots of guitars sound like Les Pauls and are cheaper.....". Not if you have top end equipment down the line. I mean audiophile type. I don't know too many guitar players that could afford $2000 to $3000 and higher for a guitar that don't own a Les Paul. If you got money then your hands should never touch a Schecter.

Sorry, but this is bull****. I have top end amps, and a Schecter C-7 FR. It sounds and plays MILES better than any Gibson made after 2000 that I've ever seen, even a custom shop. Yeah Gibson's hold value better, but that has to begin with the overpriced instrument in the first place. Since I'm not a dip**** I don't drop my guitar nor do I bump it into ****...so I guess if you're a ****ing retard that can't hold on to a guitar get a Les Paul. As far as staying in tone? Please, I use my Floyd quite a bit so I have to tune up often, but since my ear is trained this isn't a hard thing to do. Believe me, my C-7 has perfect crunch and a deep warm tone. I can rip any metal or classic rock sound though my JVM 100 Watt tube stack...then I can plug into my 5150 and do my best EVH. Or, I can plug into my JSX and do my Jazz, prog, fusion, and Satch stuff. So, tell me how my ass tastes.

-Carlin
Quote by JasonUGA311
Les Paul is from 1996 with custom shop binding kind of like the more recent re-issues.... but in other words they've made a lot of Goldtop's since then that aren't quite as good. you can see the differences in the woods on the newer models.

Therein lies the answer. I have a friend with a 77 SG, and it rocks. I mean srsly, go to a GC and play a newer Les Paul, totally different. Gibson's really gone down hill.

-Carlin
.... lol You have a Marshall.
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
Quote by JasonUGA311
.... lol You have a Marshall.

Old Marshall, given to me as a gift when my cousin stopped playing hard stuff. I can't remember the last time I paid retail for something new (instrument wise).

-Carlin
Last edited by <3 Herman <3 at Jul 28, 2009,
But anyway. I'm sure that Schecter's nice. I only dabbled with the ones at the GC and they are usually crap.

Marshalls are over-rated and over-priced by at least TWICE what you're contending the Gibsons are though.

Please tell me you didn't buy the 4 channel crap machine. The Single channel version Vintage Modern is the only Marshall in a LONG time that had good tone.
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
agreed on the retail price thing. I got lucky on my LP.... kid came into GC trying to trade it in so my buddy got with his manager and Low-balled his a$$ so I could follow him out to the parking lot and pick it up w/ cash dirt cheap. They already had a new and a used Goldtop in stock so they sh*t on him price wise and I picked up a sick deal.
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
Quote by twat

You sure it was the guitar?
Quote by JasonUGA311
But anyway. I'm sure that Schecter's nice. I only dabbled with the ones at the GC and they are usually crap.

Mine costs about a grand or so retail, I forgot what I paid.

Marshalls are over-rated and over-priced by at least TWICE what you're contending the Gibsons are though.

It's the same thing with Gibsons, the guys who plays walls of Marshall stacks get theirs made specially from Marshall just for them. The old ones that Townsend and Page played were nice...the new ones...not so much.

Please tell me you didn't buy the 4 channel crap machine. The Single channel version Vintage Modern is the only Marshall in a LONG time that had good tone.

I didn't buy it, my cousin is a successful local musician and has been for 30 years or so. He stopped playing classic rock and heavier stuff and moved into Santana style Latin rock. So for Christmas he gave me his old Marshall tube stack.

Interesting anecdote: His father, the same guy that taught him, taught me...after a while I got a little beyond what his dad wanted to do...then got lessons from him (he's a dick about his music, won't even teach his nephew a chord at family reunions) so this was a huge thing. He liked me and I was a pretty good student, and instead of selling his old stack he gave it to me so I'd have a good amp.

-Carlin
Quote by JasonUGA311

Most guitars at GC suck anyways, ESPECIALLY if it has a trem. They aren't set up properly, they're usually out of tune, and had every asshole that's been in there try to ****tily play them. I just go there to try them out, hold them in my hands, and see how the necks feel. Etc.

-Carlin
Quote by <3 Herman <3
Most guitars at GC suck anyways, ESPECIALLY if it has a trem. They aren't set up properly, they're usually out of tune, and had every asshole that's been in there try to ****tily play them. I just go there to try them out, hold them in my hands, and see how the necks feel. Etc.

There's also assholes who purposefully try to **** up the guitar because they're ****heads.

-Carlin
As soon as my insurance claim goes through (place broken into) I'll get a kick ass Orange again too...so I have quality stuff, and the Marshall isn't my only amp.

-Carlin
I'm glad this thread is terrible of-topic. Herman, not every proffesional needs custom gear.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Page 1 of 2