I play classic rock im kinda thinkin ahead to my third guitar so i wanted to know which wud b a better for a classic rock player. Thanks

ROCK ON!
Try to find an older SG, that'll work fine. If you can find an actual 77 SG, that's what I'd go with.
My grandfather would say: "I'm going upstairs to fuck your grandmother". He was an honest man, and he wasn't going to bullshit a four-year-old.

-Carlin
both are obnoxiously expensive, dont worry about getting a signiture at all, just go for an older sg, that should be fine for all aspects.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Just get an SG Standard. A lot cheaper, and a vintage SG won't make you sound any more like Angus.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
TK1 is suggesting you buy a used Gibson SG Standard guitar. Just find a nice old used one if you can, that was his suggestion. To answer your original question, either would work fine, but they will sound different. An SG has a more trebly, sharp sound than a Les Paul, which has a bassier, fuller sound. Both are good guitars for classic rock, but there are, of course, many more great guitars than just those two. Give us a list of some of the bands you want to sound like and we can give you more recommendations, also it would be helpful to know what amp you currently have, as thats just as important as the guitar.

Also: AC/DCfan, look at my signature (the second quote). It's really not difficult to type well. It takes just a few seconds longer and since this is a message board, not a chatroom, those few extra seconds will not kill you and typing better will make people take you more seriously. Not trying to be mean, just trying to help.
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Plz uz reel wurdz bcoz wen u tipe lik this its hard 2 red.
Last edited by The_Future_Soon at Jul 28, 2009,
the bands i like ar ac/dc, Guns N' Roses, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Metallica and The Beatles so yeah.
LOL at being on your third guitar (which is looking to be several thousands) and using a cheap, pos practice amp.

Don't even think about getting the les paul or SG until you replace that thing.
Quote by AC/DCfan1616
i own a line 6 spider III 15w

New amp first, if you're thinking about a 3rd guitar and you're using a spider, use that $3,000 (I'm guessing thats how much the sig model is?) and buy yourself a good tube amp, or something better than the Spider III.
my friend had a line 6 so i bought it cuz i somewhat knew how to use it. Im just asking this question i have a fender i was just always curious. but when i get better than this whole thing will be useful
for me actually the line 6 is fine with my fender its not a horrible amp for all u out there who think it sucks my friends use this amp on stage
Quote by AC/DCfan1616
my friend had a line 6 so i bought it cuz i somewhat knew how to use it. Im just asking this question i have a fender i was just always curious. but when i get better than this whole thing will be useful

And when do you plan on buying this third guitar? If it's anytime soon, why not actually invest in a better amp. Doesn't Angus use Marshalls? (I don't listen to Angus or AC/DC, so I wouldn't know.) With that $3000+ you'd be spending on the Gibby, you could already be half way to his sound and the whole classic rock sound with a Marshall or another british voiced amp.
Quote by AC/DCfan1616
for me actually the line 6 is fine with my fender its not a horrible amp for all u out there who think it sucks my friends use this amp on stage

So what? You're wasting your money buying a $2500 guitar when you're only going to get $150 tone out of that amp.

Seriously, take that $2500 and put it towards a Marshall. More improvement than you could imagine compared to blowing it all on a guitar that you'll never hear the true tone of.
dude im still a total beginner im just thinking ahead i can only play a handful of songs and not even the full songs just parts.
So get off the board and stop talking about buying new stuff and practice.
Quote by AC/DCfan1616
dude im still a total beginner im just thinking ahead i can only play a handful of songs and not even the full songs just parts.

You said in your first post this is your 3rd guitar. What other guitars do you have?

Even if you are just thinking ahead, split your money more evenly. You could buy a used Marshall (I saw a Plexi going for $800 on ebay the other day) and you can buy a used SG or some other guitar that fits you. You don't have to buy a Gibson to play classic rock, nor do you have to buy an ibanez for metal. Split your budget to have a good guitar and a good amp, not an awesome guitar that you probably haven't even tried out yet and a ****ty amp.
Quote by AC/DCfan1616

Yes it is i've done mixing of bands who used the amp it just sounds horrible and maybe has some decent sounds but honestly for anything more than home practice I would look elsewhere. Plus you're dropping huge amounts of cash on a guitar that you don't know what you want so go play both of them since they are different guitars.
i had a silvertone whoch i dnt even know the name of and it was a piece of crap now i have a fender MIM sunburst i was just thinkin like 4-5 years ahead to when like i get a band what stuff should i be using so that was the point of this.
Quote by AC/DCfan1616
i had a silvertone whoch i dnt even know the name of and it was a piece of crap now i have a fender MIM sunburst i was just thinkin like 4-5 years ahead to when like i get a band what stuff should i be using so that was the point of this.

You have a MIM strat, okay. So if you were thinking 4-5 years ahead and you're trying to capture that classic rock sound, like it has already been suggested, buy a used Marshall Plexi, you could mod your MIM strat to an HSS configuration and change your pickups.

Which is actually much cheaper than buying the sig Angus Model, and you might have some money left over for pedals or just to save up for something else.
Les Pauls eat SGs. While Angus' guitar might look like an SG, I'd like to check under the hood.