For all you pickup makers out there. Its pretty much agreed that stock epi pickups arent very good. But what is they do that makes em so bad? What do they do different than other companies out there besides cut lots of corners? Is it the wire they wrap with, the magnets, cheap metal in the pole pieces etc? I have 2 sets now gathering dust in a box on a shelf is there no way to mod em and make em be decent or should they just be chucked in the circular file?
Stock pickups always seem to be underwound, with crap magnets, for that "Jack of all trades, master of none" kind of tone... that's how they leave me feeling, anyway. I don't know specifics.

You could try a magnet swap, but for the effort and chance of it being in the winds or wire, you might as well sell them for a few $ and use a GOOD budget brand for your next guitar.

Also.. this is me hypothesising. I really have NO idea. I do the "this sounds ****, so I'll get something else" thing, or just plan to replace them anyway.
I would use them as test subjects to learn about pickups and rip them apart, re-wrap them, experiment with magnets, etc.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Theres a vid on utube showing the big difference just taking the covers off. And will a new magnet make much difference or not?
I read the subject line as "What is it about Epi headstocks that makes them so bad"

Last week I did some work on an Epi SG for a friend. The humbuckers were very harsh in the midrange, especially the bridge. I put a treble bleed caps on both volume pots: 560pF on the bridge and bridge volume and 1120pF on the neck. That actually helped a lot because you can roll back the volume to eliminate the harshness, but not lose all your treble like you do with a normal volume or tone.
They are under-wound, using low-quality components and parts to keep the price down. Budget pickups for budget-ish guitars. They expect folks to buy them as a first or second guitar, and either upgrade the pickups, or upgrade to a higher quality guitar.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
Quote by w0lf19
They are under-wound, using low-quality components and parts to keep the price down. Budget pickups for budget-ish guitars. They expect folks to buy them as a first or second guitar, and either upgrade the pickups, or upgrade to a higher quality guitar.

i really don't see how it could hurt budget guitar companies to just make reasonably good pickups in the first place rather than expect you to spend more than the guitars worth later on to get it to sound good.

Vintage do it - i recommend anyone on a budget to check them out. Since they made the deal with trev wilkinson they are basically epiphone (because they are probably made in many of the same factories) but with better hardware, and for less money.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
No it wouldnt kill major companies like epi to make a decent pickup, as it probably wouldnt cost much more than it does now to make em. Pretty bad marketing to think "oh screw it they will buy new ones anyways". But that is a common business model anymore its always about the per unit cost 5 cents here, 6 cents there when you are talking about 100k units adds up.

I found an article, http://buildyourguitar.com/resources/lemme/, about pickups during random searching. Got me to wondering if there was something that could be done w these 2 sets of pickups that didnt involve rewinding them. Covers can be removed, magnets are not hard to get, maybe set em up w 4 conductor wiring. But if its just about every aspect of them is cheap and not right then your not left with much besides the bobbins and baseplate. They could be using recycled bicycle spokes as pole pieces for all we know.