First off, I made a 2 hour practice schedule everyday,that is about learning everything I can on justinguitar.com. Is that a good idea? Secondly, why am I not motivated to practice. Its like a chore for me to pick up my guitar and play my heart out(I really don't want to quit guitar). It never was like that when I first started playing. (I've been playing 1 1/2 years). So is my practice idea good, and what will motivate me to practice and enjoy guitar? I'm also starting a band, will that help with my motivation?
If your starting a band, you better be motivated, or else it wont work out.
... my motivation is wanting to be in an actual band that gets paid. I love playing guitar and feel like **** if i dont get to play. I've also been playing for about a year in a half but i practice for about 5 hours a day if i have class or about 8+ hours if i dont.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Practice should not be something that you feel is a chore. In fact, there is no reason why you should not enjoy practice and have fun doing it.

My main motivation was improvement and an intense desire to express myself through my instrument. I could hear my favorite musicians pouring their hearts out through their guitars and their voices and I truly wanted to be able to accomplish that.

I have been playing for over 6 years and there were some points in time where I did not touch the guitar for well over a month. The fact is, if you don't feel like playing, then forcing yourself to is more damaging than beneficial.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
well man i've play guitar for like 2 years and men theres some days that i don't want to play but some others i'm from the morning to the night practicing... i think you should do it not like so squared if you know what i mean, i think you should play when you want to... and for the motivation if you are in a band your gonna progress quickly and you gonna b very exited about guitar cus it's a lot of fun play with other people so just do what you think you should... perhaps for some people a scheduled practice would b the better way i don't know it's very personal i think
Quote by IbanezGRX40man
First off, I made a 2 hour practice schedule everyday,that is about learning everything I can on justinguitar.com. Is that a good idea? Secondly, why am I not motivated to practice. Its like a chore for me to pick up my guitar and play my heart out(I really don't want to quit guitar). It never was like that when I first started playing. (I've been playing 1 1/2 years). So is my practice idea good, and what will motivate me to practice and enjoy guitar? I'm also starting a band, will that help with my motivation?

What do you consider practicing?

I consider doing scale runs and things of the sort practice.

I consider learning a new song or just playing enjoyment.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
What do you consider practicing?

I consider doing scale runs and things of the sort practice.

I consider learning a new song or just playing enjoyment.

All guitar playing is practicing. It is not like learning a new song or just playing isn't making you any better.

Some forms of playing help you improve in certain areas. Other areas require specific exercises to help with improvement.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Call me Charlie.
I've found that having someone to impress (even yourself) is always a massive motivation factor.
I too have trouble practicing for a long time on occasion. I have two solutions.

One, every week or so, pick a song/solo you want to play-just for fun. Don't practice it throughout the week. Every week, play it for a half hour and see how much better you're getting. You are probably making tons of progress, you just don't realize it.

Second, find a guitarist you admire. Watch videos of him/or her playing. For example, I love Eddie van Halen. Whenver I get stuck in the middle of practice, I find a vid on youtube of him playing eruption live. That totally inspires me to start practicing.

Everyone slows down occasionally. The trick to being the best is to speed back up as fast as you can.
=====Signature Currently Under Construction=====
Hey man, i felt the same way a month of two ago. I started learning songs i wanted to learn, not that my instructor or other people wanted me to learn, I loved it. Then I started a band, got me motivated as hell to start writing riffs and getting better so we can someday hopefully become big. Really, if jamming and practicing seems like a chore to you, it really shouldn't, you know? I started really looking up to some guitarists like slash, van halen, and hendrix, made me want to be like them someday and got me inspired.
Last edited by Luigiman124 at Jul 28, 2009,
I place no expectations on my practicing, I can go a few days without practicing (I'm a student and don't have a whole lot of time) but often times I'll get the itch to play and I'll end up playing for an hour or two straight. It's not systematic, and it's not regular but I never feel like it's a chore and I enjoy it when I play. I think this is very important, if it's not FUN it's not worth it
Quote by crimsondarkn
Motivation... you can impress girls. =)

Yeah, if you just strum chords.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Yes it is.
Girls are dumb and only care about wussy music like Jack Johnson.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes it is.
Girls are dumb and only care about wussy music like Jack Johnson.

What are you? 7 or something?

Call me Charlie.
^Dude, the whole thing of you can impress girls is as childish aswell tbh.

Back on topic: Draw up a plan of what you want to achieve and when and then that will give you a goal and some motivation. And if your not enjoying, stop and come back to it in like an hour or so.
Personally, I take every other guitar player (that I know in person) as a threat. So my motivation to practise is to be better than them.

Aside from that, I really do enjoy playing ^_^
Change what you play. I go through phases where I jam to songs I know almost every day, or I spend a week or two learning new songs, or I spend all my time practicing (going through an instructional book called Creative Guitar 2 by Guthrie Govan, whose the scariest guitarist alive). Changing it up is important, play what you feel like playing, and you'll be fine, although structuring your time so that you get something accomplished is a good idea.
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
my motivation is just that its fun to play guitar for me. before i go to sleep i look forward to waking up and playing guitar. im not the best and i am probably not even good compared to all of you but i love music and playing guitar is really fun for me. My advice is don't play to impress girls because then you are not truely playing guitar for the right reasons so you might want to think about if you really want to play guitar because as soon as it feels like a chore you have lost the whole point of music.
Quote by IbanezGRX40man

To the first question: No, there's nothing wrong with a schedule. But are you, as a musician, willing to follow it with utmost dedication (like a class schedule)?

Second thing: It's okay to be unmotivated in practicing. Your inner musician is taking a break; and don't worry--you don't sound like the type to quit guitar anytime soon. There are times when I won't pick up the guitar for days and, suddenly--as if nothing happened--I'll have the compulsion to play.

Third thing: The practice idea is fine. It's just a matter of dedication to the process itself. Some things that motivate me, personally, is listening to songs I am enjoying at the time and looking up the tabs; asking other guitarists for knowledge on musical theory (i.e.- scales, modes, etc.); or taking up a song to see if I can play it.

Band: Okay, here's the thing. Being in a band, you have a semi-obligation to one: be able to play your instrument and two: make music. If this is done on a daily business in a half-hearted manner, it becomes drudgery. The kind of motivation that would come from here, I think, would be a combination of admiration and proving worth to the members and most importantly: yourself. It's a healthy kind, and if there's another guitarist in the group, you can learn from one another, which is the beauty of playing music with others.

Sorry if I'm getting long-winded, but I hope this helps.