My practice plan would be somewhere around 2.5 hours to do, which for me is usually way too much to be ABLE to do without interruption (puppy, golf, friends, etc), let alone actually want to do. So my question is if it's alright to split each individual component of the practice into a separate session in the day, or if I'll just need to start practicing at 9:00 PM when I can skip over distractions, but lose sleep since I have to get up at 5:00 AM every morning (keep in mind that starting at 9:00 = finish at 11:30 = 5 1/2 hours of sleep, not 8 like it would be going to sleep at 9:00).
Quote by Eag1e
My practice plan would be somewhere around 2.5 hours to do, which for me is usually way too much to be ABLE to do without interruption (puppy, golf, friends, etc), let alone actually want to do. So my question is if it's alright to split each individual component of the practice into a separate session in the day, or if I'll just need to start practicing at 9:00 PM when I can skip over distractions, but lose sleep since I have to get up at 5:00 AM every morning (keep in mind that starting at 9:00 = finish at 11:30 = 5 1/2 hours of sleep, not 8 like it would be going to sleep at 9:00).

Shorten your practice plan man. I can hardly focus on something I want to learn for more than 1 hour and 30 min. Although I do recommend practicing right before you go to sleep, you brain is supposed to keep going over what you were learning while you sleep.
Keep your sleep and you should also be okay splitting your practice times, for all I know frequent practices > single long ones /shrug.
I think it is perfectly fine to split up your practice sessions over the course of the day.

When you are specifically targetting an area of improvement, 30 to 45 mins of concentrated, distraction-free, awareness is much more beneficial than 3 hours of just splurging with the television on.

Just don't push yourself too hard. There is no hurry and improvement always comes with time and dedication more than working yourself too hard.

Also, remember that sleep is important. Your mind process short-term memory and converts it into long-term memory while you are sleeping and that is an ESSENTIAL part of any improvement in ANY subject matter.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Split it. It allows your brain to really get the information little by little as you take regular breaks, and you will be more focused every practice session because you took some time off of it. But also get enough sleep everynight, even if it means that you would practice less than you would want.
There's no set amount of how much you have to practice or how much you can practice. Just know that generally speaking, the more you practice, the better you will become. You could be like how I used to be a couple years ago. I would get home from school and just play non-stop for as long as my fingers could take it, sometimes not even stopping for sleep and then I just slept through my classes the next day. Or you could be like I am now. Any free time I have, I just pick up my guitar and play around a bit.

As I said, there's no set amount, but in response to you question, I would say split it up a bit but still try to make each section as long as possible. Just picking up a guitar and playing for 10 minutes isn't going to be that beneficial for you.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.