hey UG, in my ongoing search for a quality jack of all trades guitar, i talked to one of my good friends who has recommended ibanez guitars. the 2 that i have looked at and like are the EGEN and the JEM. However, i am unsure as to how well each will handle jazz type tones....

any and all advice is appreciated!
thanks again
Signature guitars is probably not the best choice when none of the artists play jazz, but out of these I would choose JEM, by far.
the goerge benson modle, would deff do jazz
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
Joe Pass played Ibanez.
The JEM will do anything you want it to. It's a pretty amazing guitar, just expensive.
The EGEN might require a little more work to get something like that out of it because I believe the pickups are more suited for higher gain.
Of those two I'd pick the JEM for alot of reasons.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
An ibanez can do jazz. hell any guitar can do jazz as long as you can play it. Tone wise thats up to the amp and the pickup, but playing wise its up to you. anyone who stigmatizes a guitar brand to a genre is a darned fool.
That said i used my RGs for jazz all the time for high school , clubs gigs and recitals. The Jem's stock pickups, evos, are great but pickup your technique nuiances. Therefore it'll pick up the good and bad from your playing.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
The Ibanez EGEN Is very responsive, warm, and you can always switch the pickups. I would personaly go with the EGEN, not that the JEM isnt cool
The JS model does jazz very well, and the EGEN is one of the finest instruments I've ever seen....but yeah if you get an EGEN it will do ANY sound.
My grandfather would say: "I'm going upstairs to fuck your grandmother". He was an honest man, and he wasn't going to bullshit a four-year-old.

-Carlin
Quote by <3 Herman <3
The JS model does jazz very well, and the EGEN is one of the finest instruments I've ever seen....but yeah if you get an EGEN it will do ANY sound.

No bias there right... I mean it's not like it has high output pickups or anything...

Actually if you have the $$ to dish on either of these guitars you could change them easily to your liking pickup wise, as they're fine instruments...

Personally, I <3 the JEM.

The EGEN is more like an s-series JEM actually. So really whatever is good.

JEM: alder body
EGEN: mahogany