I'm harboring the idea of auditioning for a few local bands, but i have no idea what to do. Any help?
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX
Last edited by parigod at Jul 28, 2009,
Send the music sheets of your songs to the people interested and jam with them.
So my group had recently been searching for a drummer for about a year and a half, and went through roughly 10 auditions in that time. Let me give you the perspective of the band that you're trying out for.

First of all, they WANT you to be good, but probably don't expect you to be... So don't be nervous. I think people get caught in the mindset that the group that they are auditioning for is full of uber musicians, and you're going to constantly have to impress them, which is not the case. Sure, you want to sound good, but there's no reason to be nervous that they are going to be mean, or downgrading in the way that they look at you.

Secondly, be yourself, be yourself, be yourself. All of the musicians I've tried out were attempting to be way too much. They totally exaggerated who they were, and I always could see right through it. Don't try to act like more than you are, but be very modest. This way, they will go in expecting less, and they come out seeing that you were well above what they had foreseen.

You're trying out for their band, they aren't trying out for yours. Make sure you're interested in what THEY play already, find out what they cover, what kind of music they want to write, and what kind of shows they want to do. If what they say is down your alley, go for it. If it's not, but you still want to play, don't let them know that. One kid, when we asked him what kind of music he likes, told us that he actually just likes metal, but can't find anyone to be in a metal band with, so he's just settling for other genres. We never called him back.

Once you sign onto the band, be in it for the long haul. None of this canceling practices bull**** (Most recent drummer's pattern went Tryout, practice, delayed practice, canceled practice... in a one week span. We kicked him out right after that, and the same will probably happen to you if that's the way you act).

All in all, the bands just want you to come in, have fun, be dedicated, and I guess playing good is a plus. Make sure you get along with the guys, both on the human level and the musical level. That's the most important thing, really... The rest is just secondary, really.
"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start..."
Charles Bukowski
Quote by SlashYourFug

Aww thanx!

If I was going to add anything to that article now, it would be that it's not just the band auditioning you, in some respects it's you auditioning them. There's some tell-tale signs can can give away whether this band is going to be a waste of your time or not.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Last edited by AlanHB at Jul 29, 2009,
All good advice so far.

The only thing I'll put another angle on is BreakingBenj's idea about them not expecting you to be good.

When we were auditioning guitarists for the original band (and as I 'audition' players for a tribute band in the next couple of weeks), I DO expect them to be good. I'm not talking about Nuno Bettencourt good, but solid, musical, and competent good.

I'm a busy person. The last thing I want to do is waste my time with some joker in a rehearsal hall who can't play, or plays poorly. (ie. can't really play) I screen people and only have a short list of people to actually come out. If you've made it through the screening process, then yes, I expect you to be good.

For the original band, I didn't even consider anyone without a demo. That was part of the screening process. For the tribute band, I'm looking at people who are experienced, etc. Many of them have demos anyways. Some of them have experiences like, "I toured with XXX" or the last band I was opening in opened for such and such recording acts. Yes, I expect these people are probably pretty good.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the idea that, given the assumption the people who are showing up for the audition are good players - at least competent enough to do the job for this particular project - is that we're not having auditions to see who the best player is. We're having auditions to see who the best *fit* is. That includes your personality, priorities, commitment, goals and expectations of a band, punctuality, etc. are all in line with what we're looking for.

I've passed over better players for people who I just happen to *like* better.

Especially guitarists..... they're a dime a dozen.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by DarK666SiM
Send the music sheets of your songs to the people interested and jam with them.

He's auditioning for *their* band. Your idea will generally be a guarantee that they will perceive you as someone they don't want to work with.

@Alan - Good article!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris

@Alan - Good article!

Word
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud