So my band recently played our first gig, and it actually went great. There was only one problem though. My band is pissed at me now for wearing a banana costume while I performed. It didn't affect my playing at all and the crowd enjoyed it. Unfortunately, my band doesn't feel the same way. They thought me wearing my banana costume made the band look like a bunch of douches. What should I do to make them stop bitching about it? And do you think it is/isn't a good idea to do something crazy at a first gig?
Om nom nom nom!
banana suit is awesome dude... honestly i think it shows that you have fun! i think that bands who try to look cool and be too serious are the ones that look like douches
Clocks tick. Your days are numbered in low digits.
You look suspicious - suspect niggas is bitches,
Get chopped up, grade-A meat, somethin' delicious
If it wasn't a ska band, then you made fools out of your friends and you should apologize. If you're in a ska band, you're all making fools out of yourselves and there's nothing wrong with that.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Young Mosaics
I wouldn't have done it. It seems kind of immature and childish, just like the kids at school that I want to punch in the face every time I see them.

What kind of music do you play? and what kind of audience was it? Age group?

We played for people 14-18.

Quote by Sid McCall
If it wasn't a ska band, then you made fools out of your friends and you should apologize. If you're in a ska band, you're all making fools out of yourselves and there's nothing wrong with that.

Hard rock, classic rock, and metal.

And it was fun. Better than standing there all serious and doing nothing like my other band mates did.
Om nom nom nom!
I think its BA. It takes some balls, and lets the group know you can cut up. My Bassist wears war paint on stage from time to time. No shirt, covered in tribal indian markings. Bloodbound Gang Dresses up, so does slipknot, mudvane, mushroom head, and a slew of others. Amon Amarth took a stage dressed like vikings, dont worry about it.

I would look for anything bu the status quo here, though. Do what you do, and like it. People wont agree, so just dont listen to them
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Spachula
So my band recently played our first gig, and it actually went great. There was only one problem though. My band is pissed at me now for wearing a banana costume while I performed.

"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start..."
Charles Bukowski
But seriously, did you just show up to this show in a banana suit? If so, I would have been pissed at you, also. I would have at least CONSULTED them about it. And you just...

Screw it... I'm sorry, I can't even give any real advice here. What you did was just ridiculous, don't do it again unless you TALK IT OVER with everyone first... And it's a Halloween show... And everyone is really, really drunk.

The question is... Do you really want to be known at the band with the kid that wears the banana suit?
Charles Bukowski
You probably should have at least told them you were going on in a banana suit.
As long as you don't wear it all the time it shouldn't really be a problem. Being known as the guy in the banana suit wouldn't seem very fun to me.
Quote by U-neek
Now that is an epic win right there!!!!

I made an epic win
Jackson RR24M
PSN: Livewire410
Quote by Livewire8195
You probably should have at least told them you were going on in a banana suit.
As long as you don't wear it all the time it shouldn't really be a problem. Being known as the guy in the banana suit wouldn't seem very fun to me.

Pre-show.

Me: "Hey guys, I think I'm gonna bust out the banana suit for our first performance."

Guitarist: "Hah, that's hilarious."

Me: "For serious yo."

Guitarist + Bassist: "Haha."

Post-show.

Bassist: "What the hell man!?"

Guitarist: "You should of told us you were wearing that sh*t. Start taking this band f*cking seriously."

Yeah...it was just for the debut performance. Chad Gray from Mudvayne wore a damn gorilla suit and KSE's Adam D had a blow up doll attached to him for a performance. But then again, they're famous.
Om nom nom nom!
Quote by Spachula
Pre-show.

Me: "Hey guys, I think I'm gonna bust out the banana suit for our first performance."

Guitarist: "Hah, that's hilarious."

Me: "For serious yo."

Guitarist + Bassist: "Haha."

Post-show.

Bassist: "What the hell man!?"

Guitarist: "You should of told us you were wearing that sh*t. Start taking this band f*cking seriously."

Yeah...it was just for the debut performance. Chad Gray from Mudvayne wore a damn gorilla suit and KSE's Adam D had a blow up doll attached to him for a performance. But then again, they're famous.

Dude, you wore a banana suit.

A BANANA SUIT.
Charles Bukowski
Dude that's awesome - ignore the haters. The crowd loved it. You didn't embarrass your band mates because the crowd wasn't laughing at them, they were laughing at you, because it was awesome. I can bet it's mostly guys and not girls who bag you out about it? It's called jealousy dude!

I would have informed the boys a bit earlier for sure, if I was in your band and you told me you were dressing as a banana I'd wanna dress up as an apple or something.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
if you didnt sing its peant butter jelly time..... then you just made a fool of yourself. its one thing to have fun like that, but when your the only person to do it, just looks bad.
Boxing Kangaroo Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.
Those mofos are jealous of the attention you got
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
I wonder if the crowd remembers other bands. Like "Hey, you remember that serious band, you know the one where the drummer was stone cold and the singer had that emo hair?"

I doubt it.

Theyre still talking about your band. They still remember the Bannana Suit.
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Aussie_skater
if you didnt sing its peant butter jelly time..... then you just made a fool of yourself. its one thing to have fun like that, but when your the only person to do it, just looks bad.

Yes, I did sing Peanut Butter Jelly Time.

And...a crappy pic!

There was 4 people in front because they're the only ones that wanted to get close to the stage. People in my small town aren't to active, and usually crowd towards the rear.
Om nom nom nom!
Lmao. I didn't think you'd actually post pics. Nice.
Quote by Dæmönika
I'm afraid of you...MDoggDX316phobia

Quote by Imperial
Yes, Master MDoggDX316

Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: The Hype Man of the UG Hip
Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati
Quote by Spachula
Yes, I did sing Peanut Butter Jelly Time.

As Peter Griffin once said. Freaking Sweeeeeet!

Thats just freaking memorable! Have fun out there, maybe next time you could get a jimmy carter mask or something like that? But then, the crowd looks young...

What do you guys play?
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
As Peter Griffin once said. Freaking Sweeeeeet!

Thats just freaking memorable! Have fun out there, maybe next time you could get a jimmy carter mask or something like that? But then, the crowd looks young...

What do you guys play?

Classic rock, hard rock, metal, and whatever else we like. The crowd loved the music and the suit.
Om nom nom nom!
Idk, the humor thing has to be right in my opinion. Like for your first show, I would have focused on playing an awesome show that showcased the whole band rather than just you. Just think professionally when doing so.

We used to do wierd **** in this metal band I was in. You get tired from travelling places playing the same set over and over, you kind of have to do wierd **** to keep you interested. Our singer once did the whole "you guize like fishdicks?" schpiel to a crowd of 500+ which was awesome. One show our other guitarist wore these long ass tassles attached to his nips and swung em around. It was funny, but when he took the mic from the singer in between songs and started talking (it was HIS first show) I didnt really think that was cool.

I guess it all kinda depends on what you want your band to be known for. Just remember:
"That was like 8 years ago asshole"
"People dont forget"
Quote by Moggan13
Sig it and i'll give you a blowjob
Quote by Thescottsman
Idk, the humor thing has to be right in my opinion. Like for your first show, I would have focused on playing an awesome show that showcased the whole band rather than just you. Just think professionally when doing so.

We used to do wierd **** in this metal band I was in. You get tired from travelling places playing the same set over and over, you kind of have to do wierd **** to keep you interested. Our singer once did the whole "you guize like fishdicks?" schpiel to a crowd of 500+ which was awesome. One show our other guitarist wore these long ass tassles attached to his nips and swung em around. It was funny, but when he took the mic from the singer in between songs and started talking (it was HIS first show) I didnt really think that was cool.

I guess it all kinda depends on what you want your band to be known for. Just remember:
"That was like 8 years ago asshole"
"People dont forget"

Well it's not like the banana costume is going to be a consistent thing. I only wore it for the first show and will probably bring it out for special occasions from now on.
Om nom nom nom!
Quote by Spachula
Well it's not like the banana costume is going to be a consistent thing. I only wore it for the first show and will probably bring it out for special occasions from now on.

What exactly constitutes an occasion "special enough" for a banana suit?

Just ask your band first, next time. Don't even make it a vote, make sure it's unanimous.
Charles Bukowski
Quote by Spachula
So my band recently played our first gig, and it actually went great. There was only one problem though. My band is pissed at me now for wearing a banana costume while I performed.

sig'd lol
Originally Posted by Spachula
So my band recently played our first gig, and it actually went great. There was only one problem though....
My band is pissed at me now for wearing a banana costume while I performed.

Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
I wonder if the crowd remembers other bands. Like "Hey, you remember that serious band, you know the one where the drummer was stone cold and the singer had that emo hair?"

I doubt it.

Theyre still talking about your band. They still remember the Bannana Suit.

not remembering you for the right reasons though
the audience should remember you for your music not some goofy prank you pulled

personally for a first gig it seemed arrogant you can get away with it when you have a solid fanbase but definately not a first gig
it also may appear desperate. that you don't feel confident in your own music and have to resort to doing something stupid to get the audiences attention.

we arent jealous of the attention he got... i'm rather happy getting attention ffrom writing good lively song and performing them well and using crowd interaction and moving around on stage to create a good show rather than resorting to using tacky props
sorry TS but this is my opinion
Quote by superfish1232

personally for a first gig it seemed arrogant you can get away with it when you have a solid fanbase but definately not a first gig
it also may appear desperate. that you don't feel confident in your own music and have to resort to doing something stupid to get the audiences attention.

we arent jealous of the attention he got... i'm rather happy getting attention ffrom writing good lively song and performing them well and using crowd interaction and moving around on stage to create a good show rather than resorting to using tacky props

Actually they want to see the band again. You guys aren't the first to wear costumes or tacky props. There's a band in Australia called "Tism" who wear masks and their true identities aren't really known, same would go for slipknot, kiss, and a multitude of bands who realise that if the audience were there purely for the music, they'd prefer a jukebox in the corner rather than a live band.

A live band is all about entertainment, it sounds like the crowd was engaged, intrigued and they had fun. They did remember the band for the right reasons.

If you are happy with the attention you got, why rain on your band mate's parade.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I'd have made sure the band were actually cool with it before going on (although why they didn't say anything beforehand, I don't know). I think it's quite a funny idea, and as long as you back it up with decent music, there's no real issue there.
Quote by Spachula
So my band recently played our first gig, and it actually went great. There was only one problem though. My band is pissed at me now for wearing a banana costume while I performed. It didn't affect my playing at all and the crowd enjoyed it. Unfortunately, my band doesn't feel the same way. They thought me wearing my banana costume made the band look like a bunch of douches. What should I do to make them stop bitching about it? And do you think it is/isn't a good idea to do something crazy at a first gig?

Leave the band and form another one in which EVERYONE wears banana costumes then watch your ex-bandmates go green with envy when you're getting the biggest crowds in the area.

Seriously though, you had fun, the crowd loved it and it didn't affect your playing, personaly I see no problem with this at all, so as far as I see, you have nothing to apologise for and infact it should be those guys who apologise to you for actualy being a bunch of killjoy douches.
Although, saying that, if the band is run as a democracy and if everyone in the band is complining about it, you're effectively outvoted and should never wear the banana suit in that band again.

Here's how to stop them bitching about it.
Make a deal with them, if they promise to shut the fu*k up about it, you'll promise never to wear the costume on stage with them again. Make sure you get it in writing and get them to sign it too.
This has a lovely connotation attached. If they mention it, even just to tell someone else what you once did, then you are contractualy well within your rights (in fact you could probably stretch that to mean that you are practicaly obliged) to wear the banana suit on stage again.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Aug 2, 2009,
dude, you had fun... i wish i had a banana suit to wear for shows!

i hate bands that try to be serious.. isn't the point of playing music to have fun? - if your bandmates say it's for money or any other reason start a solo project up in the suit..

and btw, the sign in front of the stage, if that was your band's name written on it, looked kinda crappy and unprofessional.. the banana suit looked fine.

^that's proof i'm not just sugarcoating everything. the sign is the main problem with the stage appearance
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
dude, you had fun... i wish i had a banana suit to wear for shows!

i hate bands that try to be serious.. isn't the point of playing music to have fun? - if your bandmates say it's for money or any other reason start a solo project up in the suit..

and btw, the sign in front of the stage, if that was your band's name written on it, looked kinda crappy and unprofessional.. the banana suit looked fine.

^that's proof i'm not just sugarcoating everything. the sign is the main problem with the stage appearance

A local DJ decided to sponsor us and made us put all that crap up on stage.

Thanks for the support everyone!
Om nom nom nom!
Quote by superfish1232

were you there at the concert though? how do you know his music wasnt good?
his band could be remembered for doing crazy crap like that AND good music... just like nirvana

ts you got balls and i admire that (in a non gay way)

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
Sounds funny to me, but then I'm a bit warped. If one of us had done something like that, the rest would have just gone along with the joke, by making comments, poking at him with our guitars, possibly try to peel him.

I don't really see any harm done, and I certainly don't see a reason for them to have their panties in a twist. They'll get over it. If not, they have 0 sense of humor, and that's not good.