Ok well I have been playing guitar for like a year now and I feel ok about my playing. I talk to other guitarists about advice they could give me and it doesnt help. Also I try to learn songs like Simple Man, and Comfortably Numb and I cant really get it...what could I do to learn these songs. If anybody has some good advice I'd really appresiate it.
-MJM
break the song down into little bit size pieces. and just make your way through it note by note. it took my about 3 days to learn simple man. and thats how i did it.
Well, everyone goes about the process of learning the instrument differently. Sometimes advice someone gives you the blinding flash of the realization that you needed to make the next step. Often times, it doesn't help very much because everyone has different experiences. When you get right down to it, the only person who can teach you how to play guitar is yourself. Others can SHOW you the way, show you techniques but that is about it.

But for what it is worth, what dean_reaper said is a good way of going about it. Divide the songs into smaller parts and take on them one by one. Listen to the song as you read the tap and try to match what you are hearing to the figures you are seeing. And never forget that tabs are rarely 100% accurate, if what you play sounds better than what the tab says then go for it.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Well heres also a good point, Do you have a tab or sheet music or both? If you have both and know what the notes tell you to do it'll help alot, i find it hard to do it just a tab alone, I find tab books are helpiful in these too. So if you have a tab book look at the sheet music!
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by dean_reaper
break the song down into little bit size pieces. and just make your way through it note by note. it took my about 3 days to learn simple man. and thats how i did it.

Yeah, I agree. In general, if you have a problem that's too big to tackle, break it down into lots of smaller problems that you can tackle.
Like above, break it down into small sizes and get it piece by piece. It will be horrible at first, but if you start slowly you will get it. I have been learning the Comfortably Numb solo recently, and there is a lot of repetition halfway through it, so once you get part of it, it really eases up. The ending is easy as well.
Anyway, get Powertab. This has also helped me. It is one thing to get the notes from a tab, but knowing the timing makes it so much easier. Then you just slow it down on powertab, and progress from there.
Lastly, every once in a while play the song at full speed. You will see how much better you are getting.

Lastly, make sure you use a metronome.
=====Signature Currently Under Construction=====
Thanks to all that have replied. Well I have the tab for Simple Man in a Guitar World Magazine so I know its right. The only problem is I dont know how to read sheet music. I have aked my guitar friends if they could teach me nefore the summer ends and they have agreed. Will it help me if I can read sheet music. Also with Comfortably Numb I have got the tab from here and they are all different so I printed the best ones out. Then I went to youtube and watched lessons on the C.N solo and that helped but it still seemed a little incorrect. If anyone could put the correct tab for Comfortably Numb on here that would help me alot.
_MIKE_
Quote by mjmiller11
Thanks to all that have replied. Well I have the tab for Simple Man in a Guitar World Magazine so I know its right. The only problem is I dont know how to read sheet music. I have aked my guitar friends if they could teach me nefore the summer ends and they have agreed. Will it help me if I can read sheet music. Also with Comfortably Numb I have got the tab from here and they are all different so I printed the best ones out. Then I went to youtube and watched lessons on the C.N solo and that helped but it still seemed a little incorrect. If anyone could put the correct tab for Comfortably Numb on here that would help me alot.
_MIKE_

You don't need to really know how to read the notes on the staff, but if you can understand the rhythm of the notes(1/4 notes, 1/8 notes, 16th notes) to go along with the tab, it makes learning the song a lot easier...even if you have never even heard the song.
Break the solo up into phrases, so each section will make sense on its own. If a phrase is still a bit complex break it down into its component licks, then build it bakc up again as you get the licks sussed.

Listen to the original shedloads - and I mean loads! Get it ingrained in your head. You'll find it a lot easier to play it if you know what its meant to sound like.

Slow it right down to whatever speed you can play it cleanly and accurately - no matter how slow that is. Once you can comfortably play it perfectly at that speed allow yourself to gradually speed up, but never speed up past the point where you can play it cleanly and accurately. This way you're practicing playing it right so you'll build muscle memory to play it right. Speed up too fast and you build muscle memory from your mistakes instead.

And don't forget to have fun
I would suggest that you get guitar TAB software. This way, not only can you see the notes and rhythm etc., but you can hear what it's supposed to sound like without the band playing along.

Also, inb4 break it down.