Well, I recently started playing with a strap to get used to it. But when I play and stand up, my wrist is bent as far as it can go, if I play above the D string. And I don't wear my guitar low, the guitar's body is around the stomach area.

Is there any "technique" or thumb position to stop my wrist form bending so much? If I play with my thumb resting on the top of the neck, and I can't play anything above the D string because, I can reach.
Quote by consecutive e
Let me be the first to say.

Pics or gtfo.

Quote by CaptDin
Guitar Center - because someone has to trick people into buying Line 6 amps.

[img]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=77198&stc=1[/img]
Put your thumb somewhere in the middle of the neck and you should be fine. Don't grip the neck of the guitar like a baseball bat, so just put your thumb somewhere in the middle of the neck and you should have plenty of room to reach every string.
Michael Kelly Hex Deluxe
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss SD-1
Marshall MG15DFX

Quote by pwrmax
Kerry King always solos in the key of Satan

Quote by Zach Dunn
just need something meaty like a chubby vagina, yet less bassy and and more trebly.
play however is comfortable for you. it you happen to look like one of the Beatles... so be it.
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by justlivin
play however is comfortable for you. it you happen to look like one of the Beatles... so be it.

Right, even Kirk Hammett played like that for a while.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
Quote by Super Cracker
Put your thumb somewhere in the middle of the neck and you should be fine. Don't grip the neck of the guitar like a baseball bat, so just put your thumb somewhere in the middle of the neck and you should have plenty of room to reach every string.

If I put my thumb in the middle of the neck, my wrist still bends a lot more than it should be.
Quote by consecutive e
Let me be the first to say.

Pics or gtfo.

Quote by CaptDin
Guitar Center - because someone has to trick people into buying Line 6 amps.

[img]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=77198&stc=1[/img]
Even if its' on your belly, that could still be low. I tend to play a lot better the higher I adjusted my strap periodically (by better, more technical control) and my Les Paul sits with the pickup selector about nipple height now. I used to play with it being on my belly but with the pickup selector 6 inches below where it is now.
I don't know if this is right or not, but what I do is I twist my wrist a little bit counter-clockwise (for right-handed guitar player) and I can reach everything fine with my thumb near top. But it all comes down to comfort. Just keep trying stuff until something clicks.
I have "perfect posture" according to the many guitarists and music teachers, who have seen my playing guitar.

When sitting, my fingers make a 90 degree angle to my palm, and from my palm to my wrist, about a 75 degree angle. So I'm pretty straight with my fretting hand, sitting down.

When standing, my strap is about three inches lower than where I'm sitting (passed my hips), and my fretting hand is at about a 90 degree angle between my hand and wrist. I also play with the neck tilted up a bit.

My thumb is always in the middle of the neck, I never grip the thing like a baseball bat. When I get to the higher frets (the 14th fret) my thumb ends up on top of the neck, giving my hand a grounding so I don't slip around and i can easily intentionally move around.