ok, so I read in a guitar world column by paul gilbert, that it is often easiest to start certain runs with an upstroke .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yZA4CkEbjY ... and i integrated this into my playing. this essentially turns 'inside' picking runs into 'outside' picking runs. I've now noticed that I am god awful at playing even slow exercises involving 'inside' picking.. ...though if i start with an upstroke said exercises are easy... should i force myself back to strict alternate picking by working like crazy on 'inside' picking? or will this be detrimental to my playing much at all?
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
I forced myself to only alternate pick, and it's become one of my strongest sides, and I manage those "inside" picking runs really good now.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Last edited by BlisteringDDj at Jul 28, 2009,
What Paul Gilbert calls easy many of us would call insanely difficult. To fret to much about it, just practice it whatever way seems easier, or more logical to you.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Remember - Paul Gilbert can play the insanely hard stuff because he practiced it all a lot. If you're having trouble with inside picking, get a handful of insane inside picking runs and head to the woodshed.
Practice inside picking; it'll make you a better picker in general. You want your hand to move in whichever way you tell it to.
ok, so inside picking is critical to my picking, and 'cheating' the way paul gilbert suggests was and is a bad idea.... at least until i have the skill to play strictly alternate picking as well?
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
^There's no such thing as cheating. If it makes it easier for you, then why not? Just make sure that you don't get caught up doing one thing and forget about everything else.
PG's way works, but I have 1 thing against it.

With upstrokes you have very little tone control.

No semi-harmonic possibilities (like doing somewhere between a normal stroke and a pinch harmonic).

Inside picking is just as do-able.

Although learning both gives you more control, cause with PG's way (or in general learning just one way), you have to write ur licks in a mathematical correct order as far as when you skip strings go.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
PG's way works, but I have 1 thing against it.

With upstrokes you have very little tone control.

No semi-harmonic possibilities (like doing somewhere between a normal stroke and a pinch harmonic).

Inside picking is just as do-able.

Although learning both gives you more control, cause with PG's way (or in general learning just one way), you have to write ur licks in a mathematical correct order as far as when you skip strings go.
You can do pinches and semi-harmonics on upstrokes - just not with your thumb. You can use your middle finger instead.
Get good at both inside and outside picking. You'll definitely favor one over the other but, you should get comfortable at both.
Quote by zhilla
You can do pinches and semi-harmonics on upstrokes - just not with your thumb. You can use your middle finger instead.

Bleh

You're right.

It's actually better if you could do that as well.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I always practice both and while it might seems unpractical and longer for some,I personally feel better knowing there's no 'harder way to pick' for me.Like for example the 3nps runs in Technical Difficulties,I always thought Gilbert starts them with an U,then I practiced the other way around,helps in the long run.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Bleh

You're right.

It's actually better if you could do that as well.

And we all have to remember, one of the big reasons Gilbert likes the upstrokes so much is because he started out playing guitar while EXCLUSIVELY using upstrokes, as opposed to most guitar players who focus on downstrokes.
I'm the total opposite. My hand always seems to want to pick to the inside, despite my efforts to tell it off. Sometimes I'll mess up the up/down rhythm by going two downs or ups in a row so I can inside pick...and it's not even like an economy picking motion, they're separate motions.

Consequently, I'm terrible at playing long, tight alternate picking runs. Point being, it's important to be able to do both equally well.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed