hey guys,

I am about to purchase this Gibson bass, and I just want some more info on it. How old it is, original retail price, just general info.

I appreciate any help anybody offers.

Its a sunburst-ish Les Paul five string. It has Bartolini pickups that sound awesome and have a very high output.

the back of the neck indicates its a "smartwood series" bass

the body is flat, the back isn't contoured and the top is flat as well.

there is not truss rod and the tuners are grover's.

the serial number is

thanks for any help guys!
I play bass!
can't tell you much on it, but it looks ****ing bad ass. 5 string ftw
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Quote by MaidenChina
if theres no truss rod then whats behind the truss rod cover

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the truss rod cover, just the back plate for the electronics.

On topic http://www.theguitarfiles.com/guitarfile534.html

you might be able to find some help from there. Hope you can find something out. That bass looks awesome.
the only other basses i've owned never had a truss rod cover. so it didn't even cross my mind as one. only as a little decoration!! lol

i will check out that site. thanks joker.

i've never been a Five string guy but this bass feels amazing and it just locks right into my hand.
I play bass!
Based on the serial number...

Your guitar was made at the
Nashville Plant, TN, USA
September 22nd, 1999
Production Number: 457

The Les Paul Smartwood series were the same as the Standard Les Paul basses but made from exotic woods. Email Gibson and they may be able to give you more info. Alternatively, see if you can find a 1999 or 2000 Gibson catalogue on line.

I also found this:

LES PAUL SMARTWOOD BASS
- single cutaway semi-hollow mahogany body, flat maple top, set-in neck, 34 in. scale, 20-fret chechen fingerboard with mother-of-pearl trapezoid inlay, fixed bridge, 2-per-side tuners, gold hardware, 2 Gibson TB+ humbucker pickups, 2 volume/2 tone controls, 3-position pickup selector switch, Bartolini TCT active preamp, available in Antique Natural, Heritage Cherry Sunburst, Earthburst, Ebony, or Emerald handrubbed finishes (available in polyurethane option).
Quote by TheJoker
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the truss rod cover, just the back plate for the electronics.

On the headstock.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
If you are looking for relative worth of the bass, its probably somewhere between 700 and 1100 USD.
Quote by P-Bass Pirate
On the headstock.

yeah... I just realized that and yes I had a good 5 minutes of that idiot feeling. Nothing like not paying attention
Quote by TheJoker
yeah... I just realized that and yes I had a good 5 minutes of that idiot feeling. Nothing like not paying attention

It's all good. For the longest time, I never knew what those were... I thought they were decorations

But to TS, I like the looks of that bass. I would consider buying one if it had the Barts like yours does.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
that is cool. I would love to own a les paul shape bass if there were any I liked.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
thanks guys,

i'm paying 900 USD for this one. if you were curious at all.
I play bass!