alright im just about to replace my stock pickups in My Jackson RR3 with EMGs but i can't decide on the best positioning

81-Bridge/85 Neck
85-Bridge/81 Neck
81 both Neck and Bridge
85 in Both Neck and bridge
81-Bridge/60 Neck
60-Bridge/81 Neck
60- In Both Bridge and Neck
85- Bridge/60 Neck
60 Bridge/85 Neck

Please Help.
Last edited by Hilgers423 at Jul 28, 2009,
i am curious about this as well. i am fixing to do the same thing to my les paul goth. i have had an 81/85 set before with the 81 being in the bridge, but have heard the emg 60 is better in the neck than an 85... hopefully some other people may have a few opinions on this..
AGILE PS970/4000 (one off custom) :: JACKSON DKMGT :: DEAN SOLTERO
MESA Dual Rec (2CH) :: (2) AVATAR 2X12 cabs w/ celestions

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!
81 bridge
60 neck
Gear
American Deluxe Stratocaster
Deluxe Reverb Reissue
81 in bridge for sure.

As for neck, I think 81 is kidna suckish for neck. It cuts out a lot of the lows, adn you need some lows for a neck pup. Kinda same thing with an 85 or 60 in bridge. They'll cut out a lot of highs.

60 is cleaner, but doesn't get as fat of a distortion as an 85. Personally like the 60, but that's because I mainly use the neck pickup for cleans. 85 is good for leads and chunky rhythm, if that's what you're about.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
i like the 85b/81 neck positions.

lots of dudes have done 'the switch'. some think the 85 in the bridge position is too bassy but i think the 81 at the bridge is way too shrill and brittle. i play mostly rhythm and detuned heavy stuff.
1982 Gibson Firebrand "The SG" Deluxe
Blackstar HT-1R | Line 6 M5 | Malekko Omicron Fuzz | Behringer SF300 Super-Fuzz | Morpheus DropTune | TC Ditto Looper
Quote by apak
81 in bridge for sure.

As for neck, I think 81 is kidna suckish for neck. It cuts out a lot of the lows, adn you need some lows for a neck pup. Kinda same thing with an 85 or 60 in bridge. They'll cut out a lot of highs.

60 is cleaner, but doesn't get as fat of a distortion as an 85. Personally like the 60, but that's because I mainly use the neck pickup for cleans. 85 is good for leads and chunky rhythm, if that's what you're about.

thats pretty much everything i wanted to say...
81 in the bridge absolutely.

the toughie is the neck being an 85 or a 60.

if you want fatter alnico tone, go for the 85.
if you want a cleaner tighter clean and lead tone, the 60 is where it's at, since it's a ceramic magnet.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
maybe it's just me, but ever since I used 18V modded dual 85s I don't want to switch to anything else. I'm really not a fan of the 81, it sounds weak and thin to me.

what i would like to try out sometime in the future would be an 60-85 b/n combo. I've been meaning to do that for a while but I still haven't gotten around to it.

go for the dual 85s man, especially if you're a metal player. and mod them to 18V.
I don't mean what I write in my posts.So don't argue back on it,and don't check me..Because,though I don't mean them,they are the only way I can increase my post count.
81 is louder than 85
85 is louder than 60
You want louder or equal in the bridge position, so don't put an 81 in the neck and one of the others in the bridge or you'll be badly unbalanced.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

^ the 85 has more output and is louder than the 81.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
mm, good point.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a