So Im wanting to attend Berklee or someother musical college and I know I will need theory in order to get in. So firstly What are some good books to learn music theory(oriented toward the guitar of course) Secondly are there any books with all the guitar scales in every key? And lastly my guitar is tuned down a whole step so would all the E scales become D scales?
Quote by thestonedone
You see this is why it's wrong to rape your guitar... in public.

Quote by mroctoberfest
I want to name an invention the Insta-gasm 3000. I feel very strongly about this.

Gear Setup:
Jackson Rhoads
Digitech Grunge
Fender FM 212R
You do not need to know theory in order to get in. To get in you need to be able to play well. Check out the articles on here to start out and yeah I am sure there are books that have scales in all keys. But it sounds like the first thing you need to do is learn all the notes on the guitar. Once you do that you will realize how easy it is to change keys on the guitar. If you are tuned down and say I played a C major scale and you played it at the same place then you will be playing Bb major. If your serious about it I would just put it in standard. Finally, again if you are serious start listening to jazz because that is what you will be studying unless you want to play classical.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
The Idiot's Guide to Music Theory.

If you study that, and learn your guitar properly, you won't need a big book of scales or chords. From knowing the notes on your guitar you can play a scale anywhere without having to memorise scales: the why instead of the what.
Quote by Led man32
You do not need to know theory in order to get in. To get in you need to be able to play well. Check out the articles on here to start out and yeah I am sure there are books that have scales in all keys. But it sounds like the first thing you need to do is learn all the notes on the guitar. Once you do that you will realize how easy it is to change keys on the guitar. If you are tuned down and say I played a C major scale and you played it at the same place then you will be playing Bb major. If your serious about it I would just put it in standard. Finally, again if you are serious start listening to jazz because that is what you will be studying unless you want to play classical.

You do not need to know theory???!

I'm pretty certain you need to know basic/intermediate theory.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
You do not need to know theory???!

I'm pretty certain you need to know basic/intermediate theory.

I don't know of any school where they actually have you take a written test in order to actually get in. Many schools will give you a test for placement but they do not mean anything for entrance to a school. Some auditions may include having to sing intervals that are played for you, theory can help here but if you have good ears it is not necessary. I think we can all agree that he should learn his theory if he is serious about music, but no it is NOT necessary to GET IN to a music school.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
I am currently enrolled in the Guitar program. You're not really required to know any theory beforehand. If you take steps to learn now, you will be off to a great start.

I suggest "Classical Guitar Playing" by Frederick Noad