I have a peavey rage 158 currently. its only 40 watts and isnt loud enough for band practice. I'm looking at new amps for anywhere up to 500 usd. I want something versatile with at least decent cleans and distortion that i can play around with and tweak a lot. I play a lot of deftones(with a 7 string) and tool. I was looking at peavey vypyrs either the 100watt ss or 60watt tube. any opinions on those or other suggestions are appreciated. thanks

EDIT:its 15 watts
Last edited by Sikend1 at Jul 29, 2009,
i have heard mixed opinions about the vypyrs but i like them.

Yes they do lock up, but with the newest update, the dont lock up often.

i love mine
Quote by Sikend1
I have a peavey rage 158 currently. its only 40 watts and isnt loud enough for band practice. I'm looking at new amps for anywhere up to 500 usd. I want something versatile with at least decent cleans and distortion that i can play around with and tweak a lot. I play a lot of deftones(with a 7 string) and tool. I was looking at peavey vypyrs either the 100watt ss or 60watt tube. any opinions on those or other suggestions are appreciated. thanks

It may not be the volume but instead your EQ.
The Rage 158 is only 15 watts.

If you are able to you should definitely try before you buy and form your own opinion based off what you personally like/dislike in an amp.

With that said, the Vypyr series are very solid amps with great tone.
I've tried messing around with the eq but i want a better amp anyway. mine was used and is pretty beat
With $500 you need to go try some. You could get a used delta blues and a nice pedal for that.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Where are you located?