I want a pedal that can give nice a nice fuzz and/or distortion. A wide range of tonal possibilities is great.

Only parameter: I'd like to be able to get it for $75 delivered or less online preferably.
make it 100, get an El Grande.

if you really must, the Ibanez Phat hed and Boss ODB-3 are passable.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
make it 100, get an El Grande.

if you really must, the Ibanez Phat hed and Boss ODB-3 are passable.

I could save for a bit longer. Do you have any experience/knowledge of the Big Muff Pi?
it is a great sound, but it is really one type of sound.

the El Grande won't quite get that muff sound, but it can go all over. MXR has a good sound clip, and I think bassfuzz.com reviewed it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
it is a great sound, but it is really one type of sound.

the El Grande won't quite get that muff sound, but it can go all over. MXR has a good sound clip, and I think bassfuzz.com reviewed it.

I would just like to be able to get a fuzz that can produce Muse quality fuzz, and also be able to dirty my clean tone a bit as well.
big muff pi
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
Quote by reedplaysgeetar
big muff pi

nonsense. no low end.

the bass muff may do, but the El Grande will also fit too. the muff gets closer to some tones, but will not get anything like others. Chris crafts tones like a genius.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by dviv17
I want a pedal that can give nice a nice fuzz and/or distortion. A wide range of tonal possibilities is great.

Only parameter: I'd like to be able to get it for $75 delivered or less online preferably.

+1 to the El Grande.

To be fair you wont get muse tone without Bi-amping anyway. The El Grande can get close enough that it would be passable. The Big Muff Pi is a great pedal, but the El Grande has much more tonal options, as well as being very sturdy and sexy looking
Quote by CincyBass
+1 to the El Grande.

To be fair you wont get muse tone without Bi-amping anyway. The El Grande can get close enough that it would be passable. The Big Muff Pi is a great pedal, but the El Grande has much more tonal options, as well as being very sturdy and sexy looking

and it's name sounds funny when white people say it.

EHL Grandeeeee.

well, some white people.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

With all spanish words I put way to much accent on it and make it sounds terribly stupid (so others say, I myself think I have a brilliant accent :p
Quote by dviv17
I looked and I saw that Chris does use a Russian Muff...

he uses 2
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by dviv17
I looked and I saw that Chris does use a Russian Muff...

his rig only works with that because of how elaborate it is.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
his rig only works with that because of how elaborate it is.

+1

And if I'm honest, you should go down to the shop and try out a few fuzz pedals and find out which one works best for you as tone is really a personal thing theres not one 'good' pedal. All are slightly different in their own way. Getting a Russian Muff or a Big Muff pi will probably not sound too good due to the bass being cut out as they are guitar pedals.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
I'd try the bass big muff pi if your so set on getting a big muff. Like the other guys said, a regular big muff isn't gonna cut it because since its made for an electric guitar, it won't have a lot of low end.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by reedplaysgeetar
big muff pi

A guy named reedplaysgeetar with a fraction of a sentence answer that has no context to the thread and will probably never be back. Well I never.

Anyway, I'm a white guy who speaks English (the language of the province in) and refuses to change accents midsentence. I own the El Grand-ay and think it's the real deal. Fuzz pedals that don't sound like the El Grand-ay aren't real fuzz pedals. The super-buzzy Muse tone has a lot going on and doesn't have much "real" fuzz to it. Describing the sound of real fuzz is quite difficult but you'll know it when you hear it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by dviv17
Well, this will please you guys.

I got an El Grande for $75 delivered! Sweet, can't wait until it gets here.

Where?! FOR GODS' SAKE WHERE!!?
Quote by Spaz91
Where?! FOR GODS' SAKE WHERE!!?

eBay. It was $72 with $4.99 UPS ground shipping. I offered $65, was automatically declined, offered $70, and it was automatically accepted.

I'm not a lowballer, but I know a lot of sellers set up automatic parameters to automatically accept or decline offers, so I was just testing those paramters.
Good find, i'm sure you'll like it.

Now I just need to wait for a deal like that and i'll pick a new one up
epic ebayage.

3/4 original price is nothing to sneeze at.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
epic ebayage.

3/4 original price is nothing to sneeze at.

Thanks, man, I knew you would like that I: a) got the El Grande and b) got it at such a deal.
Quote by the humanity
and it's name sounds funny when white people say it.

EHL Grandeeeee.

well, some white people.

+1
Quote by 2112pk
thank you for stoping this RIDICULOUS argument.
and standing on the side of truth.
but your princess is in another castle