Professional guitarists will usually have a demo of some sort to send out to bands looking for guitarists, to show how they play.

Does anyone have any idea what exactly goes on this demo?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Just you playing guitar, man. Just put music you wrote on it, and maybe a cover that is a huge influence to you.
"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start..."
Charles Bukowski
Well, it depends on how you play. If you take pride in playing 1234102394 NPS at 300000000000000000000000000 BPM you should take the Shawn Lane route and record mind-boggling fretwork and people will flock to you out of amazement. If you're more of a conservative blues player, record a blues jam or two.

Regardless of how you really play at all, just you jamming over a track or two is a perfect demo to send to someone interested.
As someone who fairly recently went through this process (and is to some degree going through it again as we speak), I'm looking for anything, really, that shows what the person is capable of.

My personal preference is a recording of that player playing with a band. That might be just me, though. My reason, though, is that it tells me "what does this player do in the context of a song?" Is it appropriate? Is it overdone? Does the song come first, or does the guitar come first? I'm looking for players who recognize that, to the audience, the song comes first. I'm not looking for a shredder, but even if I was, I'd want to hear what he/she does in the context of a song.

Aside from that, I'd take even a Youtube thing with a person playing over one of their favourite songs. Sure, not terribly exciting, but you can tell if they can play or not at least.

Recording quality... don't care. So long as I can hear it. I'm not hiring you for your recording chops. I'm hiring you for your guitar playing.

Either way.... two or three songs is sufficient. The real proof after that, to me, is are you the right PERSON for the position?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Ahh so i could just stick the songs on my profile onto a cd then.
Soundcloud
Definitely. I would.

Sounds great, btw. And congrats on finishing the degree.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Cheers. The degree has been a long time coming, and I'm happy with my guitar playing right now.

Would it also be advised that you have a range of genres on your "demo"? It would make sense to include things that were relevant to the genre of the band you are applying for.
Soundcloud
If whoever is looking for a guitarist wants a range of styles, then I would like that. If the project is looking for a metal guitarist, I could really care less how well he plays Flamenco.

Certainly, try to have the demo reflect what the project is looking for.

If someone sent me a demo that just included jam sessions of himself when he's just having fun, I would make the assumption that that was the best he had, and move on to the next one. I would make the conclusion that this person has never recorded himself playing with a band - either live or in the studio - and therefore has either never done either of those things, or has recorded stuff that just wasn't very good. In any case.... *next!*

If someone included that along *with* some more legitimate demo work, I would ask, "what's that on there for?" It would really seem pretty pointless, and arguably, unprofessional.

CT

Hrm.... right now, I'm in the midst of putting together a Green Day tribute band. You tell me. ;-)

CT

(I really do like your demo, though....)