So, I searched Dean, and I found a ton of people that don't like them. I played one that I was considering buying, so if anybody would be willing to explain specifics on why the non-top end Deans suck.
necks are poorly shaped.

pickups sound terrible.

hardwares alright.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
necks are poorly shaped.

pickups sound terrible.

hardwares alright.

THIS ^^^

i had one and those were my main problems with it
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
conversation is not the point of facebook. everybody knows the only reason anybody has facebook is to get a good look at that hot girl's tits who sits behind you in chemistry.
Mine still works fine after 6 1/2 years. But mine seems to be the exception from what i hear. The tone on mine is better than the ones I hear in stores so I assume they're using different pickups nowadays too. Horrible action though...can't fix it unless i pay tons of money to pretty much have the neck rebuilt by a luthier. If you find a good one it'll last....otherwise I'd steer clear.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
What everyone else said + lousy quality control (sometimes even on the top end stuff)
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
but DOODZ THEY IZ TOTALLY BRUTALZ!!11!

Seriously, though, the lead guitarist in my band got a razorback and the pickups are horrible (that is, they were horrible before they broke) and the case is so big it doesn't fit in my trunk so when I drive him home from practice it takes up the entire back seat.
Gear I Want:
-Boss GEB-7
-Boss LMB-3
-Boss CEB-3
-Korg Pitchblack
-Boss ODB-3
-Fender Road Worn 50s Precision Bass

Gear I Have:
-Peavey Millennium BXP =]
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C =D
I've got a Dean Demonator (the neck through version, with active electronics).
The neck on mine is great, it feels almost identical to the neck on my MIM Jazz (& I love Jazz necks)
The electronics aren't the best, but they're ok, I like the sound & they havn't gone yet (after having it for 1 & 1/2 years so far)

The only problem was that Dean's quality control was poor, so it was very hit & miss if you got a good one, or a bad one. But now QC has been moved to the States, so it'll be alot better.
Quote by higgins666
I've got a Dean Demonator (the neck through version, with active electronics).
The neck on mine is great, it feels almost identical to the neck on my MIM Jazz (& I love Jazz necks)
The electronics aren't the best, but they're ok, I like the sound & they havn't gone yet (after having it for 1 & 1/2 years so far)

The only problem was that Dean's quality control was poor, so it was very hit & miss if you got a good one, or a bad one. But now QC has been moved to the States, so it'll be alot better.

I'm very happy that they've moved at least some of their workforce(and the most important part for releasing quality instruments) back to the US. maybe in a couple years i'll try a few out.....if they stop raping Dime.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by Revelation
I'm very happy that they've moved at least some of their workforce(and the most important part for releasing quality instruments) back to the US. maybe in a couple years i'll try a few out.....if they stop raping Dime.

I'm a massive fan of Deans, but I can't wait till the Razorbacks go out of production, it would have been more of a tribute to have released just the replicas on Dime's guitars, not taking a prototype shape & slapping any old graphic on it.
I used to have an old Edge Q6 (the quilt maple top six string), and I never had a problem with it at all. I've actually never heard this about Dean, ever. Is this a more recent thing that I might have missed by being out fo the guitar world loop? Or have I been oblivious for the whole time?
I have a older Dean edge 1 made in Korea that Iv'e had for about 6 years and must say quality is pretty good.The action was horrible when I first got it but with a little work I have it playing great.The soapbars have great bottom but the highs are not so great.It works great for metal but not so good for anything else.I must have gotten a good one cause every one I have tried out since I got mine totaly sucked,real muddy sounding and every neck I looked at was like a bow very bad qc.I would try to find a older Dean if you want to go with a Dean guitar.I like mine but dought I will ever buy another Dean unless it's a older one every new one Iv'e played has had issues so beware and if you can play it first.
Guitars
08 Schecter C-1 Lefty
06 Epiphone LP Standard Lefty
90 Dean ml custom Lefty
84 Kramer Beretta lefty

Marshall Vs 100h
Crate Blue Voodoo 120h
Marshall 1960a cab
Boss Me70
Quote by Spaz91
Its a shame that the only easily avable brand that makes basses shaped like Explorers, etc, are a crap brand.

Dean isn't that bad, if you're willing to spend a lot of money. The only Dean I've seen was a Demonator for about $550, which I thought was a little overpriced.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Quote by MaidenFrieak71
I have a older Dean edge 1 made in Korea that Iv'e had for about 6 years and must say quality is pretty good.The action was horrible when I first got it but with a little work I have it playing great.The soapbars have great bottom but the highs are not so great.It works great for metal but not so good for anything else.I must have gotten a good one cause every one I have tried out since I got mine totaly sucked,real muddy sounding and every neck I looked at was like a bow very bad qc.I would try to find a older Dean if you want to go with a Dean guitar.I like mine but dought I will ever buy another Dean unless it's a older one every new one Iv'e played has had issues so beware and if you can play it first.

I have the same bass. mine is five string dunno about yours though. Great ballsy low end. Maybe this model line during that time period(i've had mine for 6 1/2 years) were above average for Dean.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by Revelation
I have the same bass. mine is five string dunno about yours though. Great ballsy low end. Maybe this model line during that time period(i've had mine for 6 1/2 years) were above average for Dean.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x8/speedo241/kramer002.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x8/speedo241/66666677.jpg

I hope these pics work but not sure If I know what I'm doing Mine is a 4 string but I think your right about these older edges possibly being above average for dean.I love the bass and couldn't be happier for what I payed for it.It's a booming bass for sure,I have tried a bunch of newer deans and all had screwed up necks,frets uneven and shobby craftsmanship.I think QC has been slipping at dean over the last few years and it shows in there newer shabby guitars.Maybe we are two of the lucky ones that got good ones who knows.To the OP If you want a Dean TRY it before you buy it and if possible go for a older one since QC seemed to be up to snuff compared to newer models.
Guitars
08 Schecter C-1 Lefty
06 Epiphone LP Standard Lefty
90 Dean ml custom Lefty
84 Kramer Beretta lefty

Marshall Vs 100h
Crate Blue Voodoo 120h
Marshall 1960a cab
Boss Me70
Last edited by MaidenFrieak71 at Jul 31, 2009,
^Stick (Invalid img) around those pics^
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by MaidenFrieak71
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x8/speedo241/kramer002.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x8/speedo241/66666677.jpg

I hope these pics work but not sure If I know what I'm doing Mine is a 4 string but I think your right about these older edges possibly being above average for dean.I love the bass and couldn't be happier for what I payed for it.It's a booming bass for sure,I have tried a bunch of newer deans and all had screwed up necks,frets uneven and shobby craftsmanship.I think QC has been slipping at dean over the last few years and it shows in there newer shabby guitars.Maybe we are two of the lucky ones that got good ones who knows.To the OP If you want a Dean TRY it before you buy it and if possible go for a older one since QC seemed to be up to snuff compared to newer models.

Yup same bass it looks like...except yours has 1 less string and is lefty. I'm taking mine to the local luthier soon and telling him to do everything in his power to make it play like a dream...hope it turns out nice.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
i have a dean edge, and i have a friend with a dean metalman.
i love my edge, it has one of the smoothest tones ever, but that could be because of the active pickups in mine. the neck is not too big, but not tiny.
the metalman, however, is the worst bass i have ever played. ive played first act basses that impressed me more than that metal man. the neck is like the width of my arm, there is only a bridge pickup, which to me makes picking harder because the strings are tighter by the bridge. the pickup is crap anyway.

overall, i will never ever buy a metalman bass or a razorback.
if you buy a dean, make it an extremly nice expensive one, but i understand why most people dont want to.
its all about head presence and stage bangin'<br>
[IMG]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c46/hitandrun183/logo.jpg[/IMG]