So I've decided I need an audio interface to take my quality to the next level. Currently I record direct using the Line6 2.0 straight into my line-in of my soundcard....and I'm not getting to where i want to be.

I've pretty much hit my peak for recording quality and need a decent interface to get to that next level. I've heard about a few different interfaces like the mbox 2 from digidesign and a few motu models....but I'm still pretty new to interfaces and wanted to get some opinions on what manufacturer and or model would be the best to go with for a budget of no more than 700$.

It seems that most of the DI I've found come standard with 24-Bit/96Khz processing...so what other qualities do you guys find most important.
Audacity. Its free. And good.
You can use a custom sample rate, so as long as your comp can keep up, you can get really good quality recordings.

And as for an interface, I personally go Guitar->Amp->Line-In.
To do that, you have to get a 3.5mm to 1/4" converter ($4 at RadioShack).
But you could use a Line 6 Pod.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Last edited by JagerSlushy at Jul 29, 2009,
^--- Audacity is software not an interface. I believe he is asking for recommendations on hardware.

I use an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra and it works great for me.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-FastTrack-Ultra-USB-2.0-Audio-Interface?sku=241806

As for what features are important, you just need to shop around a lot. Look at tons of different interfaces and read about all of their features. In doing so, you'll realize what features sound cool or what features you think would be important for you. The reason I like the Fast Track Ultra is because it has a lot of inputs and outputs, is compatible with ProTools, takes both 1/4" and XLR inputs, provides phantom power via XLR for microphones, connects with USB 2.0, and can be powered via the USB port so that I don't have to run it off the A/C adapter.

The other thing that is arguably more important than the audio interface is your microphone(s). I use combinations of Shure SM57, Shure SM58, Audio Technica AT2020, and an Audio Technica AT2021 for instrument and vocal microphones. My drummer has some Shure drummer mike kit, but I don't know what the hell it is. It's about 5 or 6 mikes that all come in a set. It sounds alright, but I couldn't really give you much advice on miking a drum kit.
Quote by JagerSlushy
Audacity. Its free. And good.
You can use a custom sample rate, so as long as your comp can keep up, you can get really good quality recordings.

And as for an interface, I personally go Guitar->Amp->Line-In.
To do that, you have to get a 3.5mm to 1/4" converter ($4 at RadioShack).
But you could use a Line 6 Pod.

He's asking for an interface you dolt.
And don't get audacity. It's free, and it's a pile of ****.
Get REAPER. Learn it, love it. You'll grow into it as well. Our very own CatharsisStudios uses reaper and cranks out pro mixes with it. Nice and easy to learn its basics too.
Yeah currrently I use Adobe Audition 3.0 for software and wouldn't downgrade to audacity.....and i've heard a lot of people talking about Reaper...and for only 60$ or whatever it is it might be worth a try.

I'll take a look at that M-Audio Fast Track Ultra Jimtaka....sounds like a it would be a nice upgrade

Thanks guys!