I have been thinking for a while about music's future medium. As for me, I have became sick of mp3's after about a year or so of purchasing and listening to music that way. I now cannott stand to have an original hard copy of my music. I also have gotten really into collecting vinyls and listening to music that way. I have also noticed more people i know buying vinyls and listening to their modern day artists on that medium.

This got me thinking. Its not very common yet but i feel as if people might start to resort back to c.d.'s and vinyls as the future unfolds. It seems as if alot of teenagers right now are getting sick of the digital music revolution and want to get something more out of there music. Therefore I think its possible that there will be a rise in vinyl demand in the future.

Its not very common yet but i see it possibly happening. The constant advancement in technology of music may become somewhat of an annoyance to many people as they miss having a materialistic form of their music.

So I'm not saying its going on right now, but i feel like its possible that we could see a large shift in the medium of music playing, back to the original "obsolete" music forms.

Your thoughts?
I supported BUSH.
I DO NOT support OBAMA.
BITE ME.
Zooey Deschanel = Amazing
Last edited by SeamoreButts667 at Jul 29, 2009,
Perhaps if we're lucky, it'll all crash and burn and we'll have to resort to live performances as the only medium of music.
mp3s and cds are good enough. vinyl these days is just for people who are insufferable elitists, or who fall easily for gimmicks.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by SeamoreButts667
I have been thinking for a while about music's future medium. As for me, I have became sick of mp3's after about a year or so of purchasing and listening to music that way. I know cant stand to have an original hard copy of my music. I also have gotten really into collecting vinyls and listening to music that way. I have also noticed more people i know buying vinyls and listening to their modern day artists on that medium.

This got me thinking. Its not very common yet but i feel as if people might start to resort back to c.d.'s and vinyls as the future unfolds. It seems as if alot of teenagers right now are getting sick of the digital music revolution and want to get something more out of there music. Therefore I think its possible that there will be a rise in vinyl demand in the future.

Its not very common yet but i see it possibly happening. The constant advancement in technology of music may become somewhat of an annoyance to many people as they miss having a materialistic form of their music.

So I'm not saying its going on right now, but i feel like its possible that we could see a large shift in the medium of music playing, back to the original "obsolete" music forms.

Your thoughts?

There's one major issue you're failing to consider here: portability.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Personally I don't care about where the music come from....only the music. I don't even physically listen to music most of the time.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Zugunruhe
mp3s and cds are good enough. vinyl these days is just for people who are insufferable elitists, or who fall easily for gimmicks.

I've recently gotten into vinyl--but only because it's fun going into my local record shop and picking up stuff I've never even heard of for $1. It's fun, exciting and cheap. I can't afford to do that with CDs cause they're so damn expensive (even used ones).
Banging on a trash can
Yeah i know portability is a big deal. But I'm talking about how people may get sick of the digital format of music and want to feel more attached to there music. I'm also including c.d.'s to this discussiong because eventually they will be obsolete.
I supported BUSH.
I DO NOT support OBAMA.
BITE ME.
Quote by Zaphikh
Perhaps if we're lucky, it'll all crash and burn and we'll have to resort to live performances as the only medium of music.

I can only hope
Quote by Zaphikh

That.
I think it's time for these to come back.

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
Hmm... seems the thread has been taken over by a swimming pool filled with sperm.

Quote by iantheman
Whenever I run out of tissues, I get worried that I'll be caught hopping through the hallway with my pants around my knees, a dying erection, and a fist full of semen.
Quote by Zaphikh

haha yeah i would love that
I supported BUSH.
I DO NOT support OBAMA.
BITE ME.
Quote by Zaphikh

That'd be awful.
But everyone remember, I'm also talking about c.d.'s here. I wonder if in the future c.d.'s will be a thing of the past also and people will resort back to them after feel to distant from their digital music or whatever the future medium is.
I supported BUSH.
I DO NOT support OBAMA.
BITE ME.
Quote by Zaphikh

Yeah, cause then Lisa Hannigan would have to follow behind me when I went for long runs. She would look like this!

Oh! And on my commute to work, she'd be in the back seat, looking like this!

...But alas, I think an mp3/CD player is much more practical.
Banging on a trash can
I really don't care if my MP3s are of a slightly lower quality if it means I can be constantly listening to it 24/7.

And I mean constantly.
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
I've been thinking, what if artists released little electronic, personolized mp3 players with their album on it?

Basically, an artist would put their album on this device, along with lyrics, maybe some info about the album, and anything the artist would like. The artist would essentially be able to create a personalized version of a mini iPod for their album. These devices could only hold the songs from the album on it, but it could also connect to someone's main iPod to import the music from the album onto their main mp3. So people would have a main iPod with all their music, as well as several unique little mp3 players.

Any other ideas?
CDs have not been abandoned as they are transporters of data including MP3s and if you buy music, as any self-respecting music lover does, then CDs are the best choice, as you are acquiring something tangible. Vynils will continue to exist as a collector's item but will become increasingly rare and valuable in the upcoming decades.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by Vornik
CDs have not been abandoned as they are transporters of data including MP3s and if you buy music, as any self-respecting music lover does, then CDs are the best choice, as you are acquiring something tangible. Vynils will continue to exist as a collector's item but will become increasingly rare and valuable in the upcoming decades.

That deserves a +2
Quote by IcePh0enix
I've been thinking, what if artists released little electronic, personolized mp3 players with their album on it?

Basically, an artist would put their album on this device, along with lyrics, maybe some info about the album, and anything the artist would like. The artist would essentially be able to create a personalized version of a mini iPod for their album. These devices could only hold the songs from the album on it, but it could also connect to someone's main iPod to import the music from the album onto their main mp3. So people would have a main iPod with all their music, as well as several unique little mp3 players.

Any other ideas?

That makes no sense Why not just have the information on your own iPod (which, coincidentally, is exactly how iPods already work)? It would be absurd to buy a new device every time you buy an album, it would be cost ineffective and you'd wind up with a bunch of ****ing MP3 players all over the place.
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
Quote by Vornik
That makes no sense Why not just have the information on your own iPod (which, coincidentally, is exactly how iPods already work)?

Because there would be more to them then just the music. They would be specifically designed by the artists, with varying color, backround, artwork etc. And like I said before, one could always connect the small mp3 player to their main iPod and import the music there.

It would be absurd to buy a new device every time you buy an album, it would be cost ineffective and you'd wind up with a bunch of ****ing MP3 players all over the place.

They would ideally be about 15 dollars or so each, but I know that's not very realistic. The point is, people would be COLLECTING them. They wouldn't just be buying them to hear new music, they would be buying them to experience the piece of art within the medium, basically like cds or records.

It's just an idea.
Quote by Vornik

Once again when talking about c.d.'s I'm talking about later in the future when there is possibly a new medium that does not need cd for transfer. Also I do not mean that people will resort back to vinyls or c.d.s as their main form of music entertainment. People just may feel that they want to have a more materialistic form of listening therefore they will start to purchase more c.d.s or vinyls then usual instead of the modern medium, to get a different experience. It may become a popular activity.
I supported BUSH.
I DO NOT support OBAMA.
BITE ME.
Quote by IcePh0enix
Because there would be more to them then just the music. They would be specifically designed by the artists, with varying color, backround, artwork etc. And like I said before, one could always connect the small mp3 player to their main iPod and import the music there.

You mean album artwork? You're talking about album artwork an linear notes. Those already exist, that's what you get when you buy an album. What possible reason could there be for taking that from it's existing physical form and putting it onto a tiny little hard drive with a tiny little screen? And once you've transferred the information onto your 'main iPod' what do you do with this thing? Put it somewhere to look at? That sounds like exactly you do with CDs, does it not? Who wants to look at album artwork or read linear notes on a inch wide screen?

They would ideally be about 15 dollars or so each, but I know that's not very realistic. The point is, people would be COLLECTING them. They wouldn't just be buying them to hear new music, they would be buying them to experience the piece of art within the medium, basically like cds or records.

Tiny harddrives containing the information on a CD for cheaper than a CD? You've taken all the downsides of digital music and rolled them up into one package that has none of the benefits of hard-copy. Why not just buy artistic skins for your MP3 player?
Quote by SeamoreButts667
Once again when talking about c.d.'s I'm talking about later in the future when there is possibly a new medium that does not need cd for transfer. Also I do not mean that people will resort back to vinyls or c.d.s as their main form of music entertainment. People just may feel that they want to have a more materialistic form of listening therefore they will start to purchase more c.d.s or vinyls then usual instead of the modern medium, to get a different experience. It may become a popular activity.

We don't "need" CDs now. And buying CDs already is a popular activity. This thread makes no sense anymore.

Music will always exist on hard copy. Yeah, maybe with technology it will no longer be on compact-disks. What more can be said?
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
Wrong. The next step will be installing these 5TB sticks of information in our bodies, storing all sorts of stuff that can be changed and accessed with a remote control!

****, I'm gonna go make this.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Vornik

We don't "need" CDs now. And buying CDs already is a popular activity. This thread makes no sense anymore.

Music will always exist on hard copy. Yeah, maybe with technology it will no longer be on compact-disks. What more can be said?

It does make sense. I'm stressing the idea that with the advancement of musical technology
growing rapidly, that we could see a spurt of interest in the previous mediums of music. Not as the main form of listening to music, but instead to experience music on a more materialistic level every once in a while (besides live music of course) as the new technology may become very dull.
I supported BUSH.
I DO NOT support OBAMA.
BITE ME.
The future medium for transferring music will involve flash memory somehow.
Quote by IcePh0enix

It's just an idea.
There would still be a **** load of MP3 players everywhere
Already in my area I'm seeing a shift to the more psychedelic/easy listening music that much resembles the music of the 60's and 70's but in a more modern form. Therefore I feel as if maybe since the trend of musical taste seems to be shifting to a that of a previous era, maybe so could the medium. This could also happen in the future(20+ years or so) with people starting to create music that much resembles the music of say the 90's and therefore maybe that generation will take interest in buying more c.d.'s as they were the general medium of music in that era. But not take over the current medium of music.
I supported BUSH.
I DO NOT support OBAMA.
BITE ME.
I'm of the firm belief that CD's will be the last successful tangible medium of music.

Thusly, I believe that once people realize how terrible Mp3's sound they will revert back to CD's or possibly Vinyl.

Noting that vinyl sales were up 80% through the 08-09 financial year.

But there definitely won't be another for of Hard Media for music to be distributed on from this point forward, IMO.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Quote by Shredder XXX
I'm of the firm belief that CD's will be the last successful tangible medium of music.

Thusly, I believe that once people realize how terrible Mp3's sound they will revert back to CD's or possibly Vinyl.

Noting that vinyl sales were up 80% through the 08-09 financial year.

But there definitely won't be another for of Hard Media for music to be distributed on from this point forward, IMO.

Ok, I feel like I need to correct you on this point. Mp3 is a popular format because it's convenient. Yes, the sound quality isn't perfect, but you get a smaller file size. Also, you can encode mp3s at various bitrates, depending on whether or not you'd prefer a smaller file size or a better quality sound. But see, as long as you're encoding at around 128 kbps/sec, most people won't even notice the difference because they aren't listening on high quality sound systems.

But if mp3s bother you that much, there's always FLAC.

Vinyl sales are only up because hipster scene kids feel like it's the "in" thing to do. Digital music is the present and future. I do believe, though, that music will always exist on some form of hard copy. Suppose you're an unknown band playing a show and the crowd loves you. How are you going to get your music to them? Give them a piece of paper with a link to your downloads? My prediction? Music in the future will be distributed on these:
Banging on a trash can
Last edited by BigFatSandwich at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by SeamoreButts667
Already in my area I'm seeing a shift to the more psychedelic/easy listening music that much resembles the music of the 60's and 70's but in a more modern form. Therefore I feel as if maybe since the trend of musical taste seems to be shifting to a that of a previous era, maybe so could the medium. This could also happen in the future(20+ years or so) with people starting to create music that much resembles the music of say the 90's and therefore maybe that generation will take interest in buying more c.d.'s as they were the general medium of music in that era. But not take over the current medium of music.

I hope resembling is as far as it would go and not try to re-create it.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by BigFatSandwich
Ok, I feel like I need to correct you on this point. Mp3 is a popular format because it's convenient. Yes, the sound quality isn't perfect, but you get a smaller file size. Also, you can encode mp3s at various bitrates, depending on whether or not you'd prefer a smaller file size or a better quality sound. But see, as long as you're encoding at around 128 kbps/sec, most people won't even notice the difference because they aren't listening on high quality sound systems.

But if mp3s bother you that much, there's always FLAC.

Vinyl sales are only up because hipster scene kids feel like it's the "in" thing to do. Digital music is the present and future. I do believe, though, that music will always exist on some form of hard copy. Suppose you're an unknown band playing a show and the crowd loves you. How are you going to get your music to them? Give them a piece of paper with a link to your downloads? My prediction? Music in the future will be distributed on these:

I hope there will always be a hard copy. I dont know what it is but something about buying music online bugs me.
I think we're beginning to lose the quality of sound as music is mostly being produced with the intention of it being played through ipod headphones, for greater sound overall we should revert back to vinyl imo. This article explains it better than me

http://tryjm.blogspot.com/2007/01/esquire-column-music-lessons-with-john.html
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!