or for the majority of it? because I know there are some accidentals.

|---3--|                                     
     E  Q    E  S  S   S  E  E  E       Q    Q    E  Q.      
E||--------------------------------|------------------------|
B||--------------------------------|------------------------|
G||-----3----2--0h-2p-(0)----------|--------------0--2------|
D||-----------------------2--L--2--|--0g2----2--------------|
A||--------------------------------|------------------------|
E||--------------------------------|------------------------|

S  S Q.     S  S Q      E     Q    E.  S  E  Q.      
-----------------------------|------------------------|
-------3---------------------|------------------------|
--2s-4--------4s-2-0---------|-----------------0------|
------------------------0g2--|--L--------0h-2---------|
-----------------------------|-------2----------------|
-----------------------------|------------------------|

S  S Q.     S  S Q.        E  E  Q    S  S Q.        Q      Q    E  Q.      
--------------------------|--4--4--L----------------|------------------------|
-------3------------------|--3--3--L----------------|------------------------|
--2s-4--------4s-2-0------|--4--4--L----4s-2-0------|------------------------|
--------------------------|-------------------------|--------------0--2------|
--------------------------|-------------------------|--2----0g2--------------|
--------------------------|-------------------------|------------------------|

S  S Q.     S  S Q     E      Q    S  S E  E  Q.      
-----------------------------|-------------------------|
-----------------------------|------------------8------|
-------2---------------------|------------7--9---------|
--2s-4--------4s-2-0---------|--5----7s-9--------------|
------------------------(5)--|-------------------------|
-------------------------7---|-------------------------|

Q      Q      E  E  Q       Q     Q     S   S  Q.      
----------------------------|-------10-----------10------|
--10b----10b----10--8-------|-------------10h-12---------|
-----------------------9----|----------------------------|
----------------------------|----------------------------|

E   Q.      E  E  E  E     E  E  E   S  S  E  E  E  E   
---------10-------------------|--------------10--------------|
--10g12----------10--8--------|-----------12----10--8--------|
------------------------9-----|------------------------------|
------------------------------|------------------------------|

S  S Q.     S  S Q.          Q    Q    E.  E.  E   
--------------------------|-------------------------|
-------3------------------|-------------------------|
--2s-4--------4s-2-0------|-------------------------|
--------------------------|--0g2----2---------------|
--------------------------|-------------------------|
--------------------------|--------------3---4---5--|

S  S Q    Q    S  S Q      
---------------------------||
-------0----L----4s-2------||
--0h-2---------------------||

its being played over

E7 - E7 - E7 - E7 - E7 - E7 - B7 - B7 - E7 - E7 - A7 - A7 - E7 - B7 - E7 - B7

And do you while the guitarist played the solo (it's improvised and done by George Harrison) he made sure to hold out certain notes that would sound better over each chord? I mean instead of holding out any note from the scale which might not sound okay being held out?
The chord formation sounds like your classic blues I-VI-V.. By the looks of the tab he's soloing in E major and minor pentatonic, with E blues - which overlaps a bit with A pent. I'm pretty sure, going from what it sounds like in my head.
sLaSh rULeS
Quote by jelleman
The chord formation sounds like your classic blues I-VI-V.. By the looks of the tab he's soloing in E major and minor pentatonic, with E blues - which overlaps a bit with A pent. I'm pretty sure, going from what it sounds like in my head.

so what do you think he is doing (from what it looks like in the tab)? Is he probably thinking of those scales and what notes are in it, or just playing around because it doesn't use any one certain scale??
He's using the E minor scale....simples!

He's not following anything other than the SOUND, and he's choosing his notes on that basis. However, a small amount of theory knowledge and plenty of experience is going to ensure that you're able to choose notes that fit with the chords you're playing over. It's a combination of things...he knows what key he's in, he knows what scale to use, he'll also have an enviable arsenal of stock licks to draw on that he knows will work and he knows what sound he's going to get when he puts his finger on a fret and picks.

The end result is a solo in the key of E minor with a strong sense of melody, a nice balance of tension and release and a few carefully chosen out of scale notes to provide dissonance contrast and additional tension.

In the western world we're conditoned to expect certain things of music, we're exposed to the major scale from infancy, we know it subconsciously. Once you start playing that kind of osmosis increases tenfold, when you're learning songs you have to listen to them that much more intently. That means when you want to create something you're going to likely end up following convention and getting something that sounds good, that's the easy part. The hard part is figuring out how to translate what's in your head onto the guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by mick13
so what do you think he is doing (from what it looks like in the tab)? Is he probably thinking of those scales and what notes are in it, or just playing around because it doesn't use any one certain scale??

As the guy above said, its about the feel of the music. I mean don't get me wrong, you gotta learn the theory, you can't just hope you're gonna hit the right notes - especially when you're a George Harrison. But creating classic solo's is more than just the theory, they aren't just playing scales, they are putting their heart into it. My advice is learn the scales, I mean spend time practicing them (as I'm sure you do). Once you know then, and you know your fretboard, practicing soloing from your heart. Go nuts. Don't get stuck into just ascending/descending a scale - but playing sound that just blows people away. I reckon once you have the theory down, its about 99% feeling and about 1% theory.
sLaSh rULeS
Last edited by jelleman at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by jelleman
As the guy above said, its about the feel of the music. I mean don't get me wrong, you gotta learn the theory, you can't just hope you're gonna hit the right notes - especially when you're a George Harrison. But creating classic solo's is more than just the theory, they aren't just playing scales, they are putting their heart into it. My advice is learn the scales, I mean spend time practicing them (as I'm sure you do). Once you know then, and you know your fretboard, practicing soloing from your heart. Go nuts. Don't get stuck into just ascending/descending a scale - but playing sound that just blows people away. I reckon once you have the theory down, its about 99% feeling and about 1% theory.

This is true.

It's the same with talking.

You hardly think about words consciously when you talk to (for example) ur friends.

At one point it all just flows naturally, and you can just "think" a "Feeling" or musical idea, and instantly transfer it into sound that bridges your expression.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
It's E Minor Pentatonic. (E, G, A, B, D) He throws in a few G#'s, which are taken from the E minor blues scale. But the majority of it is just E Minor Pentatonic.
Last edited by PSM at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by jelleman

I actually do know a lot of theory about scales. I know obviously that he's not playing ascending/descending scales. I was wondering if he was using one scale (not just ascending/descending, I mean using all the notes of that one scale). I tried to solo with it with E minor but I didn't get the same vibe without the G#. But now I understand.

NOW, here's my problem.
Is George Harrison focusing on the chords he's playing over? I know you said feeling, but don't you want to pick notes from the actual chord to hold out?

That's where I'm having issues. I'll solo and get it to sound okay but then the notes I hold out sound bad.
For example: If I was soloing with E minor over this, and I was playing, I will accidentally hold a C, I might not know it's C as I hit it, (I'll realize after it sounds horrible). The C would sound bad over the E7. (It's still in E minor scale, however)

So, like I said, is George thinking of the chords he's playing over and what notes will sound best? That's where my problem lies.
Quote by adam561
Yeah it looks like E minor adding some blues at parts

yeah I know that, I have another problem now
Bottom line is, he's LISTENING.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com