Two questions:

1) The G&L L2000 has so many options on tone within itself. Are there any basses out there that come close in terms of on-board versatility?

2) I know of many inexpensive yet very awesome Made In America Precision basses out there, like the Peavey Fury, G&L LB-100, etc.

What are some equivalents in that area in terms of Jazz basses?

Edit: I already own an L-2000. Hence, why the question is asked out of curiosity.
Last edited by Always-Ben at Jul 29, 2009,
I've been wanting a good J-Bass ripoff for too long...
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Why not just buy a Highway One or MIM Jazz?
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
The G&L is great, i havent noticed the difference really between the USA and Tribute series, there both great quality, the USA does have a slightly nicer feel to it. A jazz bass is a good all rounder, the P-bass is also a good alrounder in its own sound, like ampeg.

Are you looking at higher end bass's or what, im not quite sure what your after.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
The question about the G&L is purely curiosity.

The question about the Jazz is a purchase inquiry.
The g&l is very versatile, and i might go and say more so than a jaz in its own way. All the switches make a difference in tone, and these is alot of tone there.

At the moment for me a jazz bass is a jazz bass and nothing special if made by fender.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I've still got my beaten up SX bass that i use for everything, i think i got lucky though, it's a beaut' of a bass.

Back your chances and buy a **** bass

I'd stick with just a fender jazz, or a squier VM jazz. Nothing special but you can tweak your amp and that's where your tone is coming from anyway
Highway Ones and Sterling by Musicman are made in the USA (sort of, Sterling are made in Indonesia but given a quality check and set up in the USA which is what counts really.) Look for a user called BassGuitarMag on youtube, he has a video on the Sterling series.
The Ibanez ATK series are also good for versatility (triple coil with EQ).

My advice, if you canafford an American L2000 (not the tribute series), buy it... or a Bongo.
Maybe I should have mentioned I already own an L2000. I want to see the competition it has in ON-BOARD versatility (variety of tones it can do, not one tone that fits all ie no Jazz or Precision).
Quote by Always-Ben
Maybe I should have mentioned I already own an L2000. I want to see the competition it has in ON-BOARD versatility (variety of tones it can do, not one tone that fits all ie no Jazz or Precision).

The Ibanez ATK seems pretty good for that, 3 basic tones (pickup positions) that can be EQ'd. When I get more impulse money, I may get myself one.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by m4l666
The Ibanez ATK seems pretty good for that, 3 basic tones (pickup positions)

Only 2 really, the third one is single coild with treble cut, which you could easily do on the 3Band Eq.
I have a G&L L-2500 and an MIM Fender Jazz Bass and, well, while I love the Fender, the G&L can do what it can and a whole lot more. To justify keeping the Fender beyond sentimentality, I bought some new pickups and am getting those installed along with having it defretted as we speak.

I know that's probably not what you're asking, but... I just wanted to share.