The problem im having is that the stock ibanez humbucker on my GRX has 5 wires and the BC Rich one i bought of ebay only has 2. The orginal humbucker has 2 wires going into the volume nob and the rest into the switch. Im at a loss to how i would go about installing the new humbucker.
Any help would be very much appreciated!
One wire on the new one is ground, and one is hot. Ground goes onto the volume pot (probably a black wire) and hot goes somewhere on the switch. You're not going to be able to wire it without wrecking any coil splitting options you had before - it's just going to be a simple on / off. Pictures of your wiring now will help determine where the hot wire needs to be soldered.

In all honesty, a BC Rich pickup is probably not going to sound any better than your stock Ibanez pickup (maybe worse, who knows), so if you want a worthwhile upgrade, re-sell the BC Rich and get another decent pickup made by Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan, bare knuckle pickups, etc. They all have 5 wires and will be easier to replace too.
Quote by REPOMAN
One wire on the new one is ground, and one is hot. Ground goes onto the volume pot (probably a black wire) and hot goes somewhere on the switch. You're not going to be able to wire it without wrecking any coil splitting options you had before - it's just going to be a simple on / off. Pictures of your wiring now will help determine where the hot wire needs to be soldered.

In all honesty, a BC Rich pickup is probably not going to sound any better than your stock Ibanez pickup (maybe worse, who knows), so if you want a worthwhile upgrade, re-sell the BC Rich and get another decent pickup made by Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan, bare knuckle pickups, etc. They all have 5 wires and will be easier to replace too.

Thanks for such a detailed response. After 2 different cameras and so many photos, Ive given up trying to take photos of the wiring so instead drew it in paint. Hopefully it is clear enough.

For such a cheap guitar (and amp too), those pickups would be overkill. For the next few months the bc rich ones should do (hopefully they do sound better considering they came out of a guitar worth 2x as much). Thanks again for your response
Last edited by kekzors at Jul 30, 2009,