First off, I just want to say that I know this is probably on the wrong thread, I just find this one gets the most people viewing it.

K so, Im going to be starting to teach my friend guitar in a week or so, and Im trying to think of things to start him off with, i dont really remember what i began with because it was too long ago lol.

So if any of you could suggest a few beginner things that would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Divider (Prog/Ambient Metal)

Guitars:
LTD TE-202
Schecter Sunset Extreme
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Crunch Lab & LiquiFire
Tanglewood Acoustic
Epiphone Acoustic (The Junker)
If he doesn't yet know, tell him the parts of the guitar and a few chords.
The first thing I learned were some major chords. You could buy a beginner method book for your student to study, and help him work through it.
i would start with naming guitar and the strings (easter bunnies get drunk at easter - good way to remember them) make sure he knows string 1 from six and what 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th fingers are. try to get him holding pick as correct as possible (i find this to be SO hard to teach). and make sure thumb is in correct position.

i would personally start him off reading notes on a stave from a book and count with him the 4 beats in the bar as he plays on the beat. once he gets knowledge of the timing of 4/4 and how some notes are worth 2 beats and some are 1 and some are just rests then eventually move him onto tabs if you plan to teach tabs.

its always good for them to know how to read notes off the stave even if they dont want to learn to read music properly.

after he knows some basic notes in first position:

1st - e, f, g
2nd - b, c, d
3rd - g, a

teach him the CAGED (open) Chords. C, A, Am, G, E, Em, D, Dm,

that's what I would do. obviously this would take a number of lessons to get through. just make sure you dont move too fast and that the student does understand what your saying.

EDIT: make sure he is using the correct fingers for the correct frets. 1st fret is 1st finger. 2nd fret is 2nd finger. etc.
Last edited by wildozer at Jul 29, 2009,
the 1st thing you should teach your friend is how to tune the guitar(not only by using a tuner but the 5th fret method also).

then some major chords
then the I IV V trick (ala wild thing,knocking on heaven`s door etc)

a better acronym for remembering standard tunings is Everyday Always Do Guitar Based Excercises
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jul 29, 2009,
There's so many different ways to remember it...I remembered it "E A D Gnarls Barkley"

Perhaps ask him to make his own, one that comes to you naturally is probably easier to remember.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Make sure to teach NOT to anchor picking hand. I sooo regret not learning that when I started....

Even if you anchor your own picking hand, "do as I say, not as I do"...

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Eddy Ate Dynamite Good Bye Eddy (EADGBE) He'll defo remeber the G String though:P

Show him A E D chords then teach him a simplified song once he gets them, it keeps you interested if you're not just learning chords but a song too.
When you are past the stage of noob, you then become a geek.....

Epiphones are the way forward! <3