Page 1 of 4
I've been thinking of this for a while:

I think it would be cool to have users of UG learn how to mix from each other. I'd supply an instrumental track, very, very raw, with the quality of how most users record (simple USB interface, programmed drums) and users would take the tracks and mix them as best they can, document what they did, and post an mp3 on their profile and the documentation in the thread.
that way people who are new to mixing can skim through the thread and read how people EQ'ed different tracks and such, and, depending on what sounds most appealing to their ears, learn from it.
I know that when I started recording songs and mixing, I had no idea what I was doing, and always wanted something like this to be on UG.

the difference to the re-mix contest that was held a while ago is that
a. this is not a contest,
b. the users will not be allowed to add anything to the track.
c. I'd post the end results in the Riffs and Recordings forum, so as to kind of give new or unexperienced people (or hell, even more experienced people) a diving board into the world or mixing their recordings.
I'd try to include as many dynamics as possible into the recording, and it'll only be about a minute or two long, and just a cover of something simple (not trying to promote my music here)
what do you think? who's up for it?

obviously, if everyone thinks this is stupid I'll just take this down

Signed up:

1. ep1kz
2. coryklok
3. Xiaoxi
4. goonerbynature
5. Laces Out Danny
6. Maiden_Beast
7. Don_Humpador
8. breadstick
9. DirtyMakik
10. Sonny_sam
11. GArrigan
12. filthandfury
13. CatharsisStudio
14. Telecaster7
15. Early Cuyler
16. DiveRightIn63
17. Seryaph
18. The_Dude03
19. xaviergray
20. Volta_91
21. sharpiemarker
22. phan
23. Portuguese_boy
24. PETERFKNPARKER
25. rabidguitarist
26. BrockTandem
27. Final !mpact
28. Rokeman
29. LtBrenton
30. TasianSensation
31. cam_sampbell
32. Carl6661
33. tommo619
34. Nashag

EDIT: ah, **** the list

http://rapidshare.com/files/263380955/sugartracks.rar

if that doesn't work, use this:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F1HBOVMZ

here are the tracks, mix and master away!
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Aug 7, 2009,
sign me up, would love to see how others on ug go about mixing and mastering
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
Quote by coryklok
Sounds good.

EDIT: Sign me up.

oops, need to remember to watch out for edits almost missed that.
I'll do it. I haven't actually mixed anything on Logic yet.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Sign me up!
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

I think this is a good idea. I'm in.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
I'd be interested. I've always wanted to do this kind of thing but I don't really know how it all works : / , Worth a shot though
Quote by Dayman
It's your duty, son. You some kinda commie, not servin' yer country?
I'm telling FOX News.

Quote by Twist of fate
Haters Ghana Hate
Quote by Maiden_Beast
I'd be interested. I've always wanted to do this kind of thing but I don't really know how it all works : / , Worth a shot though

yeah, I mean just try it out. you can always see how others have done it, then go back and improve your mix. that's kinda what I'm hoping to reach with this, anyway, that people will learn from each other and help each other get better.
Ye would be good to listen to a version that was done first time and then listen to a revised version and find out whats improved , changed etc.
Quote by Dayman
I'm telling FOX News.

Quote by Twist of fate
Haters Ghana Hate
Quote by Maiden_Beast
Ye would be good to listen to a version that was done first time and then listen to a revised version and find out whats improved , changed etc.

exactly, that will also help users develop their ears to hear out little changes and stuff, and through the documentation they will be able to see exactly what was changed.
Sign me up dawg.

I'm wondering about software though. I only have GarageBand and Audacity, wouldn't it be a bit unfair if someone else turned up with some pro gear?
Quote by Don_Humpador
Sign me up dawg.

I'm wondering about software though. I only have GarageBand and Audacity, wouldn't it be a bit unfair if someone else turned up with some pro gear?

nope, not really I don't think it's any more difficult to get Cubase than it is to get Photoshop.

EDIT: also, it would be good to see what kind of results you can get out of freeware programs like that, see how good a mix you can get with em.
Quote by CoreysMonster
nope, not really I don't think it's any more difficult to get Cubase than it is to get Photoshop.

EDIT: also, it would be good to see what kind of results you can get out of freeware programs like that, see how good a mix you can get with em.

Right then, sign me out

Edit : Now I see your edit, I'm not so sure.
I'll give it a shot. Sign me up. Time to crack open the old Audition.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Ah , What software will we be using to record and mix? Any ideas of basic software?Nothing fancy I guess.
Quote by Dayman
I'm telling FOX News.

Quote by Twist of fate
Haters Ghana Hate
I'm in. Sign me.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Why the hell not, sign me up.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Corey , make some br00tal drum track , gonna unleash from fury

xD
Quote by Dayman
I'm telling FOX News.

Quote by Twist of fate
Haters Ghana Hate
im in yeah?
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
finally, I knew you'd turn, Catharsis!! muahahahahaaa

and I'm having trouble uploading the files, i'll try and get em up this evening.
i like this alot.. and i do need practice mixing.

im in
Quote by King Twili
It's just me and Doris here ;_;

Quote by Zaphikh
Poops is the chat MC - but here we know him as Early Cuyler.

Free Downloads, Yo!
i'm in, though we all know ryan will trump us all.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
I'm in. I know exactly jack**** about mixing.

What program should we use? Which ones can we use?
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
YES.

Sign me up. I might even extend the Electronic album deadline depending on when this is.

XAVIEDIT: Or better yet, we should have an online mixing workshop or something as well, for those of us who are more or less clueless as to the process.
Last edited by xaviergray at Aug 2, 2009,
In!

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

alright guys, sorry for the delay, my internet's been really screwy, and I haven't been able to upload the tracks, but I will this evening when I get home from work, and then this thing can get rolling

oh and you can use any software. I encourage using the software you are most comfortable with. remember, this is not about learning the program, but learning how to mix, and the principles are the same for any program.
Sign me up!
Quote by Cameronrobson
If a barn owl was fighting a tiger and flew away, it was just looking for a more awesome place to fight. This happens all the time on Dragon Ball Z.

Member 8 of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club
Me either. This encourages me to read up on this stuff again.
Quote by Cameronrobson
If a barn owl was fighting a tiger and flew away, it was just looking for a more awesome place to fight. This happens all the time on Dragon Ball Z.

Member 8 of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club
Quote by phan
I love this idea could you sign me up please

sure thing can't wait, either! I bet you guys will come up with some kickass mixers (even though we'll all fail against Ryan )
Page 1 of 4