All right, I have an Ibanez Artcore AFS75T, I want to remove the mock Bigsby system they have on it, and replace it with a stop bar style tailpiece as found on ES-335, Les Pauls, etc. Problem is, I have no clue how to put in a stop bar tailpiece, can anyone help me out? I've looked online and found nothing. What will I need to do?
███████████████████████████

Pagan? Check it out
Quote by CrowStoner
All right, I have an Ibanez Artcore AFS75T, I want to remove the mock Bigsby system they have on it, and replace it with a stop bar style tailpiece as found on ES-335, Les Pauls, etc. Problem is, I have no clue how to put in a stop bar tailpiece, can anyone help me out? I've looked online and found nothing. What will I need to do?

It will leave holes. You need to buy a tune-o-matic bridge, and take off the bigsby, then screw the tune-o-matic in. Why are you changing?
Quote by RIPKurt67-94
It will leave holes. You need to buy a tune-o-matic bridge, and take off the bigsby, then screw the tune-o-matic in. Why are you changing?

Don't like the appearance, never use it, falls out of tune constantly, number of reasons. Only other thread I found in the search was a guy who was going to buy one with a Bigsby and remove it, but decided to just buy an ES-335. Removing the Bigsby isn't the problem, it's installing the new bridge/tailpiece where I'm clueless.

EDIT: It's not a real Bigsby, but a clone made by Ibanez. For convenience, I simply called it a Bigsby. Look at the link I provided.

Pagan? Check it out
Last edited by CrowStoner at Jul 29, 2009,
If you don't use the trem at all, it's probably not the trem making you go out of tune. Bigsby style trems aren't like strat style. They're pretty benign if you don't use them.

It's probably the tuners. Maybe upgrade to a set of locking sperzels (if they fit, or else you can probably find an equivalent that does fit) and throw a better (graphite?) nut on there. I've played a few Artcores, and they're VERY nice for the money, but like lots of Chinese-made guitars (such as my Eastwood) they often have bad plastic nuts and sort of sub=par tuners....

....of course, if you just don't like the way the trem looks, then replacing the whole shebang with a tune-o-matic and stop tailpiece should work. Is it a semi-hollow or full hollow?
If it is a full hollowbody, then I would not try to put a Les Paul style stopbar on it. However, you could put a trapeze bar on it and still use your same bridge.
Last edited by cedricsmods at Jul 29, 2009,
looking at the picture, im not sure why you couldnt just replace the tail piece of the bigsby with the tail piece of a TOM bridge. i mean you would replace
with
. now im not sure they have the same post spacing, but if they did then it would be a very simple swap.

or if that isnt going to work, a trapeze tailpiece might be a good option.
Just looked. Those Artcores are fully hollow. You'll need a trapeze-style tailpiece. I don't think there's any way to install a stop-type on a fully hollow guitar.

I still think you might solve your tuining problems with upgraded nut & tuners. If you switch to a trapeze, it'll require more work to make work (drilling) and to make it look right (plugging the old holes and touching up, etc.)

why not just leave the bigsby on, don't use it, and upgrade the other stuff? less work/more effective, imo.
I'm pretty sure that a stop tailpiece would rip right out of the top when you attempt to tighten the strings.

I have an Ibanez AFST75 too. And, like you, I had no use for the fake Bigsby tailpiece. I ended up replacing it with an VT50 artcore trapeze tailpiece. The mounting screws line up perfectly. So, it was as simple as changing a light bulb.

I also replaced the metal roller bridge with a compensated ebony one, the neck pickup (the only one I use) with a Stew-Mac Golden Age pickup (sounds as good as a Super 58 to my ears) and the tuners with some Planetwaves 18:1 ratio locking tuners (which were on sale at guitar center.) Now the guitar sounds much jazzier, even unplugged. I believe that the trapeze tailpiece allows the top to move more freely. As you know, the "Bigsby" sat directly on the lower bout on the top, on little felt tabs.