Page 1 of 2
Hey, I am looking at getting myself a new guitar and amp, I am probably getting a Marshall MG50DFX, but I might upsize to the MG100DFX or the MG250DFX. For the guitar I am looking at either a Gibson Les Paul Special II (In Black) or an ESP MH-50 (or some other ESP around the same price range). I mainly play metal, rock and classic rock. Next time I am at the music store I will try them out, but does anyone know which would be better?
I don't know much about low end Gibsons and LTD's, but I'm sure both are worth playing through a better amp than an MG.
» Ibanez SZ520 + JB/Jazz
» Rocktron Rampage
» Vox ToneLab SE
» Laney LC15
Quote by Ryhee
Hey, I am looking at getting myself a new guitar and amp, I am probably getting a Marshall MG50DFX, but I might upsize to the MG100DFX or the MG250DFX. For the guitar I am looking at either a Gibson Les Paul Special II (In Black) or an ESP MH-50 (or some other ESP around the same price range). I mainly play metal, rock and classic rock. Next time I am at the music store I will try them out, but does anyone know which would be better?

I would get the ESP.

But not before getting rid of those amps!
"A man chooses. A slave obeys."

Please don't buy a cheap epi and play it through an MG. Just...no. What's your budget, do you gig, what are your influences etc etc...
Damn, I didn't notice it was an Epi not a Gibby.. Get the LTD.
Getting the MG is still a bad idea though.
» Ibanez SZ520 + JB/Jazz
» Rocktron Rampage
» Vox ToneLab SE
» Laney LC15
I think it's fair to say that nothing here is a good idea.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Thing is I am in New Zealand, so whatever the price is in american dollars I have to pay double that in NZ dollars, and I'm only 13, dont have a proper full time job yet. I dont want to have to wait ages to save enough money to get anything. I am looking to spend up to about $1500 NZ... any advice on what would be best to get would be appreciated, on amps as well. Would I be better of to put more money into the amp, like get a proper halfstack?
Not the MG for that style, get a marshall bluesbreaker, or a fender hot rod deluxe for something a bit cheaper. I would go ESP over the Epi's, alot of the epi's are not that great in my experience, i use an SX Les Paul copy and its great for that stuff. Also Greg bennet's and hagstroms are worth a look at guitar wise, both make nice guitars for good prices.
Do you have any gear already?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
I am using the guitar I got when I first started playing, $250 Karina, and I use my brothers Behringer V-Tone GMX212 amp.
First of all, that's an Epiphone, not a Gibson.

Second, both those guitars are VASTLY different. The bridge on the LTD is, no doubt, a piece of junk at that price, but quality-wise, the guitar is still a better instrument than the Epiphone. BUT, you also have the locking trem, which means you can't change tunings very quickly, I'd suggest blocking the tremolo and using it as a hard tail

Third, DO NOT buy any of those amps.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Personally, I would say that if you prepared to do a little research and try out a few guitars then an Epi won't be a bad bet. You need to look at a custom or above in that case. Certainly better than low end Gibson IMO. Can't really comment on the next offering as I have very little experience with ESP/LTD.

Alternatively, if you into your LP's then have a look at Michael Kelly guitars and Edwards (used of course). I would highly recommend a Washburn Idol too - stunning IMO.

Amps: don't get the MG's. Ever. Rank and the noise it produces will kill you over time.

Look at Line 6 Flextones, small 5 watters like Blackheaqrt, Blackstar, well could go on for days depending on budget, intended usage.....
Two things.

1. Those Marshall amps you are looking at are crap, see if you can get a Peavey Windsor studio or a Blackheart Little Giant in NZ for some more authentic tones. A Blackstar HT-5 isn't a bad choice either. If you like the flexibility of modelling amps, then it might be worthwile looking into something like a Flextone from Line 6, but stay away from the Spider series. If these are out of your price range, then look into something like the Peavey Vypyr. I'm not a big fan of it but I'm guessing you like Metal, so it would cover your style with greater satisfaction than a cheap Marshall MG. Also, don't be afraid to look used.

2. That Les Paul is not a Gibson, and is not much cop as a guitar. I have played a few of them in my time and they are dissappointing. The LTD is a better option but as mentioned, it's not much fun having a guitar with a locking trem. Judging by the fact you're looking at guitars without trem systems, it may be worthwile looking at some different LTDs. The Viper series, including the cheaper ones are very solid guitars, as are the EC (Les Paul) style models.
This is not a Gibson v. ESP thread, it' an Epiphone v. LTD thread.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Where I live I can get my hands on marshalls or line 6 amps pretty easily, what are some good marshall amps?
dont get any of that crap, save up for some decent gear
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
i suggest saving up...
every LTD guitar that is below the 400 series are not that good
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
i suggest saving up...
every LTD guitar that is below the 400 series are not that good

false.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
I dont need the best gear in the world, I just need some good gear for about $1500. I will probably go in to the music store and try out a bunch of different guitars and amps, im just asking for suggestions of what i should try.
Quote by WSR66
false.

ORLY?
have you tried the MH-50?
feel free to add me
Alright, since I too am from New Zealand, I'll help you the best I can.

Like everyone else, I will make myself loud and clear - DO NOT buy the MG, cause it has the tonal qualities of a fat chick's orgasm.

And always spend more on your amp.

Guitars: If you're in Auckland, go to Music Planet on Queen St and give one of the solid-body Italia's a try. They may look a bit cheesy, but they play beautifully. Alternatively, go up to Bungalow Bill's place on Symonds St and see what he's got. If you have $1500, DO NOT spend more than $700 on a guitar. You can get something decent for that price easily - if all else fails get an Epi LP Studio or troll TradeMe.

Amps: In NZ with $800 or so, your best bet is to look used. Although, once again if you're in Aucks, the K Rd Rockshop has a Crate V33 on run-out sale for $900 - go give that a try although it may be a bit low gain for your tastes.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
DO NOT buy the MG, cause it has the tonal qualities of a fat chick's orgasm.

LOL

Totally sigging that...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
ORLY?

No but I've tried the MH 250NT, MH 103, H 251 and AX 260, and thought they were all at least decent if not good.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Thanks, I live in hastings, and i usually go to the rockshop. I'm a bit hesitant to buy something of trademe that i can't see and play first, but i'll have a look.
Oh right...any way you can make a roadtrip down to Wellington? Parents, older siblings, whatever?

Because the Rockshop stuff is ridiculously overpriced (mostly because they sell all the "status" brands") and their salespeople are generally utter pricks who want to sell you MGs and Spider turds. Do you have a MusicWorks there - I had one when I lived in Whangarei and they usually had a much better selection of stuff ad their salespeople weren't wankers.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
ORLY?

Alf, since I took a vow of being kind to you, I shall point out that the MH-50 is not the only LTD under 400. My mate's F-50 is one of the best beginner guitars I've played, and it looks cool as well.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by WSR66
false.

actually true.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

But if you have to go the Rockshop route, DO NOT let the salesman try and sell you an MG or Spider. Stay away from the Fender Frontman series unless you're willing to buy a distortion pedal with that.

Honestly, if there's one available, either go for a Blackstar HT-5 or any Blackheart you can afford. Then just get a guitar you like and can afford after that - try everything.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
Alf, since I took a vow of being kind to you, I shall point out that the MH-50 is not the only LTD under 400. My mate's F-50 is one of the best beginner guitars I've played, and it looks cool as well.

ive never played an F50 but i played an MH-50, M-100FM and an EC-50 and they arent that good IMO.
the EC-200 was meh.
feel free to add me
There is a music machine in napier which is 20 minutes away... do you know if that's anygood?
From what I can tell from a google search, it seems to be more of a boutique shop. Which, if they have anything you can afford, is good cause they'll probably be more open to doing deals and the like.

Also, I'm sure Napier will have a Music Works and possibly a Music Planet as well.
Quote by Cathbard
I searched on their websites and can't find any blackheart's, but I'll keep looking. Is music planet the same thing as kingdom music? we have a kingdom music in hastings. They didn't seem to have a very big range of amps.
This review here says that the amp is pretty good, why is everyone on this thread saying it's useless???
Quote by Harvesterofsrrw
dont get any of that crap, save up for some decent gear

+10000000000000000000000000

IMHO the LTD and Epi are beginner guitars..
Save up for something good

and mgs SUCK!
I've played through my friends mg50 and
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Are all LTD's that bad??? And what do you mean by something good??? Any examples?
Is the Crate Flexwave 120 Watt 2 x 12 Guitar Combo any good? I can get that for $800.
Page 1 of 2