Hello!

I play mainly tech death metal and that sort of stuff and I just re-string'd my guitar. While doing that, I came to think about the string action of my guitar. It seemed pretty high, but I'm not sure if it really is high, as I haven't really thought about it while playing other guitars. My first question is:

Generally, while playing that very fast music like tech death, sweeping etc, would a lower action be better as it might be easier to hit the frets with it?

I guess it just comes down to trying out both lower and higher, but I want your opinions about what you like aswell!

Thanks
Quote by Panikak
Hello!

I play mainly tech death metal and that sort of stuff and I just re-string'd my guitar. While doing that, I came to think about the string action of my guitar. It seemed pretty high, but I'm not sure if it really is high, as I haven't really thought about it while playing other guitars. My first question is:

Generally, while playing that very fast music like tech death, sweeping etc, would a lower action be better as it might be easier to hit the frets with it?

I guess it just comes down to trying out both lower and higher, but I want your opinions about what you like aswell!

Thanks

In my oppinion yes. I tend to keep my action as low as I can get it without audible fret buzz playing distorted.
WTLTL 2011
Lower action would be better for sweeping and such like. Low enough to make fretting easier, but high enough so it doesn't buzz.

To be fair, tinker with the action til you find something you're comfortable with. My action is sort of medium. I could probably get it lower, but it feels good where it is.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Generally, lower action will make the guitar easier to play, leads especially.

However, higher action, I find, makes you play a bit cleaner and the strings feel a little more "apart," I guess. I find myself making less mistakes if the action is a bit higher, but my speed is also hindered a bit by it as I have to press down harder to fret the notes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Lower action makes playing a lot easier.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I beleive there is a trade off between higher and lower action. With low action you barely have to touch the strings to play and its overall easier to do leads and such. But i find it very hard to do very thick rythms because its so low and also when i do bends i feel like im dragging the string on the fret. Generally keep it as low as you are comfortable with. I have mine tilted a little so that the action on the gbe is a little lower than the ead strings.