The humidity in Hong Kong is fairly high, usually 80-90%. I restrung my guitar no more than 2 weeks ago with Ernie Ball Super Slinkies (0.09-0.42) and my strings are rusting to a point that my fingers are blackened after a practice session.

I store my guitar in a soft guitar bag when I'm not using it. I keep it in my room, which is pretty darn hot at around 30C (AC is busted).

So how can I solve this huge problem of having to replace my strings every few weeks? I was thinking anti-rust strings like Elixirs but I heard they sound bad. I heard there was something you could apply to your strings to make them last longer.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Try wiping your strings with a cloth after you've played. That's always helped my strings live a good while longer.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
i know how you feel. i live in louisiana lol. i also use slinkys. little things like washing your hand before you play and wiping the strings afterwards will go a long way to help preserve the life of the stings
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Thanks for the advice.

I'm wondering now what humidity is best to keep the strings from rusting. Maybe I should consider buying a dehumidifer or something
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

I'm not sure wher you got the idea of elixers souding bad from.Always sounded good to me
Just keep wiping your guitar down,and store it under something maybe?
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
try getting some ernie ball coated slinkies and wiping you strings when you are done. i would keep it out of the gig bag because it would be cooler.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
I know what you mean! It's been in the 90's here and the humidity is so disgusting it's like breathing underwater. I just keep mine in a hard case when I'm not using it. A de-humidfier is a good idea but it uses a ton of electricity and it runs very hot- so you would probably be suffering more.
The reason why I kept it in a gig bag was to prevent it from being exposed to the open, humid air. Unless that isn't the case?

My strings aren't going out of tune (caused by change in temperature), but just rusting to the point that they turn all black/brown, so I think the problem is the humidity and not the heat. I may be wrong though as usual
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Wipe your hands and strings often. Wipe your hands between like guitar breaks or songs or something.

I live in a very moderate place so I have none of these troubles, can't say much.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt