So I'm trying to get back in to metal again, and I was wondering if any one has suggestions for modern metal bands with cleaner vocals. I don't necessarily mean that they can't have any aggression to them--"gruffness" is definitely a plus for metal vocals as well as screaming as long as it is accompanied by coherent sections. I just happen to find vocals which are able to be understood much more appealing than constant neandrathal death grunts. Examples of what I am talking about are Baroness, High On Fire, Mastodon (especially the newer stuff), Om, newer In Flames (to a degree, at first I loved the singer's vocals but then I started to get the unshakable impression that he was forcing it), etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Last edited by redfin at Jul 29, 2009,
Opeth and the like?

Or some power metal bands like Kamelot or somethin?
Wann kann ich dich von diesem Ort wegbringen?
Wann ist der Tod unser einziger Zuschauer?
Wann können wir schreien anstatt zu flüstern?
Wann ist der neue Anfang das Ende dieses traurigen Madrigals?
Cynic, Opeth, Nevermore,a lot of Amorphis, depends what you're in to.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Nevermore, Biomechanical, Demons & Wizards, Iced Earth, Acid Bath.

And other stuff.
My band: Iconic Vivisect

Quote by madbasslover
I think what we can all take away from this is that people should be allowed to listen to whatever they want to as long as we're all the same religion.
You can understand HoF's lyrics? Can you communicate with grizzly bears as well?

Also, you need some Neurosis.

Deadit: and Gates Of Slumber too.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Akercocke mix growls with crisp clean singing well. Artillery, Danish thrash band with some fantastic operatic vocals. Devastation - Death/Thrash band with gruff but clean vocals. Heathen, too. And Into Eternity.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Scald And Candlemass.

Scald isn't really modern, but you should listen to them anyway.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
Quote by MoogleRancha
Senthill
Stalaggh
Silencer

lol hahahah, silencer. bitch screams for the win
My Gear:

Ibanez RG450LTDBC
Boss GT-8
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Behringer guitar
Behringer V-Tone GM108 Amp
...and my fingers.

Quote by unfathomable_bo
At a Nile gig when some guy shouted "Egypt is gay!"

^^
Quote by MoogleRancha
Senthill
Stalaggh
Silencer

I'm sure he will enjoy these
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
Yes, Senthil don't scream. They choke.

Try some Electric Wizard, judging off the stuff you already listen too. Also try Hour of 13 for some good Sabbath worshiping
sonata arctica
stratovarius
+1 to silencer best vocals ever
stalaggh are ok, best to listen to a whole album before bed to feel the true power of the vocals.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
1 word
Kamelot
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
king diamond/ mercyful fate?

Quote by metallicafan616
king diamond/ mercyful fate?

Give Me Your Soul is some good modern Metal.
Katatonia. Their guitarist does screams now and again in the background.
Also, Alter Bridge. They're more associated with Modern Rock but you're bound to enjoy them.
Symphony X and Scar Symmetry are the first two to come to mind but, of course there are more.

OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL
BLACK METAL
DOOM METAL
BRUTAL DEATH METAL
GRIND
Quote by Seaneh
Give Me Your Soul is some good modern Metal.

oh yeah, i forgot it had to be modern. that album was ok at best, and terrible compared to MF's first 3 albums and KD's previous efforts.

Shouldn't this thread be locked...

Not only is it meant for the rec' thread, but it's also a VERY general question, being that a huge majority of metal bands "sing" their vocals as opposed to gutturals/shrieks.
The later Amorphis is deffo worth checking out. The vocalist does both clean and grunts, but is well understandable on the extreme side.

And I sort of agree with the previous post. There's some bands mentioned in the first post at least...