I'm going to be teaching kids at a middle school how to play guitar and was wondering if I could get some suggestions for simple/fun songs I could teach them.

I start next week and as far as I know they are beginners that probably know very little to nothing about playing guitar so I'm looking for fairly simple/recognizable songs they might enjoy learning so I'd like to get a some suggestions from you

Thanks in advance

EDiT: ok after what Deliriumbassist pointed out I'm going with simple songs (one note at a time etc) that can help them work on their picking and learning to hold down notes on the fretboard

so I need to know songs like these that i can use

2nd EDIT: I forgot to mention that these kids are likely to be in the school band already but what I'm basically suppose to do is start teaching them about how to actually play the guitar rather than worry too much about theory
Last edited by crucible#1 at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by CoreysMonster
How many roads must a man walk down

before you can call him a man?
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by CoreysMonster
How many roads must a man walk down

I take it this has been posted way too many times before has it?
makes me happy - drake bell
broken -lifehouse
hanging by a moment - lifehouse
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Maybe some blink 182 stuff , general punk rock/pop , pop rock stuff. I have no clue of band names : /

If it were me , i'd be unleashing the fookin' fury and showin' em a bit of Malmsteen.

Quote by Dayman
It's your duty, son. You some kinda commie, not servin' yer country?
I'm telling FOX News.

Quote by Twist of fate
Haters Ghana Hate
Quote by crucible#1
I take it this has been posted way too many times before has it?

what? no I meant the song. I thought that was the title
Quote by CoreysMonster
what? no I meant the song. I thought that was the title

The title is Blowin' In The Wind.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by guitar-guy01
makes me happy - drake bell
broken -lifehouse
hanging by a moment - lifehouse

guitar-guy01, I am disappoint.
If they know absolutely nothing, don't start with songs with chords and the like. Start with recognisable theme tunes and nursery rhymes using single notes at a time, like the James Bond theme or Baa Baa Black Sheep. Get them used to picking and holding one note at a time to start with. Then move up. If you go straight to chords, they may find it difficult and therefore give up.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If they know absolutely nothing, don't start with songs with chords and the like. Start with recognisable theme tunes and nursery rhymes using single notes at a time, like the James Bond theme or Baa Baa Black Sheep. Get them used to picking and holding one note at a time to start with. Then move up. If you go straight to chords, they may find it difficult and therefore give up.

If they are going to give up on chords, i think they might be learning guitar because of guitar hero
Quote by Oh Shize
guitar-guy01, I am disappoint.

and why is that? its catchy, easy to learn and teaches a good rhythm
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Quote by Deliriumbassist

hey thanks I actually didnt think too much about it like that but yeah you got a point there
Quote by zombies
If they are going to give up on chords, i think they might be learning guitar because of guitar hero

Rubbish. I remember years ago when I was first learning guitar, and chords were a pain in the ass. Once I got more practiced at fretting and playing single notes, it became easier to work chords.
On a serious note , where you from? Maybe like the national anthem on guitar? Maybe teach them like themes from tv shows etc they are always easy to pickup and learn
Quote by Dayman
It's your duty, son. You some kinda commie, not servin' yer country?
I'm telling FOX News.

Quote by Twist of fate
Haters Ghana Hate
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Rubbish. I remember years ago when I was first learning guitar, and chords were a pain in the ass. Once I got more practiced at fretting and playing single notes, it became easier to work chords.

First riff I learned was Breakin The Law.
If you can get them onto simple chords, you might try Bad Moon Rising(DAG IIRC).
Quote by Deliriumbassist

+1

I started out learning system of a down songs with drop-d chords, because my fingers hurt too much to play chords. IMO, drop-d riffs are the perfect way to start learning guitar because you gain dexterity and strength in your fingers much quicker than playing chords.
also, because playing drop-d songs are hella fun to play
do some scales before chords
that way ur giving them some of the thoery side of it.
then when you do chords they actually understand why theyre puting there fingers the way they are instead of fretting a heap of notes so it sounds good
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
Last edited by GArrigan at Jul 29, 2009,
classic rock, like ACDC and Deep Purple and stuff, the kids seem to like that those days :^P
I cum blood.

Seriously though, When I first started I was learning punk riffs like the Offspring etc.
Oh and that Snow Patrol one chasing cars is easy as ****. Or Alien Ant Farm's vesion of smooth criminal.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Last edited by Crizzle at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by GArrigan
do some scales before chords
that way ur giving them some of the thoery side of it.
then when you do chords they actually understand why theyre puting there fingers the way they are instead of fretting a heap of notes so it sounds good

Like they'll care about theory.
Assuming they don't just f*ck around and waste time, what they'll want is to be able to say "we played <insert tune here> today", not "we had a guitar lesson and the c*nt taking it just played some stupid series of notes".
Quote by MightyAl
Assuming they don't just f*ck around and waste time, what they'll want is to be able to say "we played <insert tune here> today", not "we had a guitar lesson and the c*nt taking it just played some stupid series of notes".

You'd be surprised. I teach 11-14 year olds (mainly friends of my little brother) and their willingness to learn is absolutely fantastic. The key is to incorporate theory into learning songs. If you aren't teaching the logic and theory behind something, you aren't teaching them how to play an instrument at all.
MI theme
James Bond Theme (Main riff is really easy)
"One" intro (Curse you Guitar Hero!)
Iron Man
Last edited by Beginner Bass at Jul 29, 2009,
in terms of single note songs - smoke on the water should work.

Also try mission impossible, james bond hell if it's a birthday then you're sorted with happy birthday
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You'd be surprised. I teach 11-14 year olds (mainly friends of my little brother) and their willingness to learn is absolutely fantastic. The key is to incorporate theory into learning songs. If you aren't teaching the logic and theory behind something, you aren't teaching them how to play an instrument at all.

Maybe, but you can't just teach them a scale. It's like reading Shakespeare one page at a time, and analyzing each bit of dialogue as it comes, without seeing the whole play.
Simple songs, with a bit of theory is fine, but I wouldn't start the lesson with "this is <some scale or another>". Playing them a song, and then going "it uses <whatever scale>, which goes like this..." is a different matter.
Quote by MightyAl

so what they wnat you to teach them to play the guitar..... so your teaching them guitar.... not how to play guitar badly. TS theyll thank you when there experienced enough to apprieciate it
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
Ok just to clarify something really quick

I'm teaching them how to play guitar (the part about actually physically playing a guitar and where their hands are positioned etc)

and

I'm also going to be teaching them what notes they are playing (to whatever extent because I'm not sure if they will already know how to read notes)