Had a WTF moment last night..

I finally finished up my 1u rack project and added the new pedals I purchased to my board and buttoned everything up. So im looking at it wondering how it will sound. I know I accidently hit a knob or two in the transition so im thinking to myself sh!t now im gonna be here for hours getting it back the way I want it. So I get my chair and tune up the guitar and crank her up ready for the worse. To my surprise she sounds great so im like hmmmm thats weird. Let me see what happens when I turn off the parametric since that is when sh!t really hits the fan with my tone (had alot of unwanted noise and freqs flying around). So I turn it off and she goes through the roof in tone. The best I have ever heard out of my rig. So im playing and cranking the volume and its still spot on what I have been looking for in my quest. But now im stuck wondering what the hell happened and why is she now perfect. Thats the worse thing about a big rig and a mile of cables, multiple pedals and settings. When something goes right you dont know what the hell is doing it

So the only thing I can think of was I might of had a bad cable, pushing my g-bus to hard or had my power supply to my pedals plugged into the wrong slot on my power conditioner. But either way im happy as hell and im not touching sh!t lol

So anyone else have these types of WTF moments. Figured this might lead to some interesting stories..
No story, but it sounds like you need to bump my pics thread... This time it sounds worth it, at least more-so than when you just stacked your amps...

Edit: Oh, yah and Whenever one of us gear heads says "I've found that perfect tone" it's a big freaking deal. Although you'll find something to GAS for soon enough. Maybe it's time to work on a clean rig to A/B with?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jul 29, 2009,
I had a moment like that when i read this thread.
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
Probably a bad cable...or maybe the parametric was just set "right" on they day(s) you tweaked it, but now you may not have a need for it? But you know, keep it hanging around for when you get bored.....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by ChiliFan01

Well then GTFO! I mean come on, if we can't share experiences about gear on here, even if they are a little bit random, what's the point?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Well then GTFO! I mean come one, if we can't share experiences about gear on here, even if they are a little bit random, what's the point?

I Find You Attitude Shallow And Pedantic
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
koo story brah....
with my 2 faulty cables and not so good amp i always yell the first 3 letters of my username...

WTFdit:
and IP how much did your whole rig cost?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by ChiliFan01

I find your lack of grammar, or an intelligent thought obnoxious. Seriously I'm not going to start a flame war here, but don't act like this is one of those pointless spam threads. With all gear there is a certain amount of art, not science. This is something very commonly overlooked on here, so I appreciate the opportunity to discuss it.

Please be mature, I don't want to report you for your next post.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
No story, but it sounds like you need to bump my pics thread... This time it sounds worth it, at least more-so than when you just stacked your amps...

Edit: Oh, yah and Whenever one of us gear heads says "I've found that perfect tone" it's a big freaking deal. Although you'll find something to GAS for soon enough. Maybe it's time to work on a clean rig to A/B with?

Hey everytime I bumped I had a new piece of gear to show off..

Its not my fault I was buying a new piece of gear every week

You are correct sir, especially a tone nut like myself. Actually that one is already in the works. Im going to be testing out a few things see which clean tone I like the best. Im diggin the new Regenerator pedals chorus on top of my 6505+'s clean channel at the moment Vs I was using my Ampeg for cleans. So we will see...
Quote by ChiliFan01

Ahhh new people gotta love um....

Quote by LaidBack
Probably a bad cable...or maybe the parametric was just set "right" on they day(s) you tweaked it, but now you may not have a need for it? But you know, keep it hanging around for when you get bored.....

Yup, im thinking bad cable mixed with power issue somewhere.

Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
koo story brah....
with my 2 faulty cables and not so good amp i always yell the first 3 letters of my username...

WTFdit:
and IP how much did your whole rig cost?

Yup, i've had the worse luck with cables..

Hmmmm that one I dont even know man.. I've done so much trading, buying and selling who knows what its up to now. I can give you the price of the whole rig if it was new thats about it :shurg:
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jul 29, 2009,
c'mon guys no flaming.

GG&A is getting boring nowadays and we need some discussion threads to keep the regulars occupied
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Hey everytime I bumped I had a new piece of gear to show off..

Its not my fault I was buying a new piece of gear every week

You are correct sir, especially a tone nut like myself. Actually that one is already in the works. Im going to be testing out a few things see which clean tone I like the best. Im diggin the new Regenerator pedals chorus on top of my 6505+'s clean channel at the moment Vs I was using my Ampeg for cleans. So we will see...

I smell a Fender NAD! Check out the CL ad I posted in WTLTL, a-frickin-mazing.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by ChiliFan01

=|

Anyway, cool story brah

I've had a lot of bad WTF moments... Like one time I went to plug my guitar cable into my amp and the input jack for the amp fell inside the amp...
I wuz liek FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!
It took about 3 hours to fix it because at first I just tried to fish the jack back through the hole with a screwdriver for the first 2 hours... Finally I decided to open up the amp completely, and the reason it took me another hour was because I had never opened up a solid state amp before and I didn't want to mess anything up. Although I was kind of hoping it was gonna be unfixable (its a damn Spider III) so I'd have a good excuse for my parents on why I wanted a new amp besides "I have GAS." and "My current amp sucks ass."<--(They don't understand much about tone and gear, and they think that if they can hear it, it's fine)
not really like it but when i tried out the MI audio neo fuzz i was like WTF this sounds so dodgy compared to what i was expecting. another WTF was the carbon copy. honestly it barely sounds any better then my echo park when i have it in analogue mode and it is a one trick pony. looks like i'm going to have to spend the cash on a memory man for an analogue delay.
got my guitar off the "hanger", warmed up the KA and tuned up.

i turn up the guitar volume, play some random chords and pentatonics, only to hear very weak and extremely dark notes coming right back at me. the bass was extremely loose, treble was much too harsh and i seemed to have lost all my mids. WTF.

i checked my guitar all over to see if there was anything wrong, and realised i had the tone knob turned the other way.
I was exaplining to my parents why i bought a vader cab (NCC thread coming soon been too busy) and i played through my avatar with v30s first then i turned everything off to change cabs and when i turned everything back on i heard no sound. I was like **** did i not plug it in correctly and am i currently running my amp with no speakers? FFFFUUUUUUUU, then i turned it off and on again and i happen to reach over to my guitars output jack and lo and behold i had also hit the "short" switch on the planet wave cable.
Finally remembered one of mine. So I sat down and re-setup my rig after bringing it to a buddy's house to jam. Plugged my tuner and OD in infront of the amp, and the chorus and delay into the effects loop. I turn on the delay cause I wanted to play some Minus the Bear. Start playing.....after a few repeats the notes start to swell in volume and it sounds like the bowels of hell are being emptied out through my speaker. So I'm thinking "WTF!" and hit the stand by switch and turn off the delay. I sit there for a few minutes and try to recuperate from what just happened.

Turns out delays on like it when you have the input going to return and the output to send. BAAAADDDDD self oscillation.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by tubetime86

I would but i'm not really a big fan of Fender cleans

Ohh no here comes the pitch forks and torches..

Quote by IbanezPsycho
I would but i'm not really a big fan of Fender cleans

Ohh no here comes the pitch forks and torches..

I've got both!

(A pitchfork and torch.)
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Phewww then its a good thing im heavily armed

It's funny, the first Fender gear I bought was a t-shirt. Then my strat, then my Bassman. I now wear the shirt with pride. I'm slowly but surely becoming a pretty serious Fender fanboi... But then again they suit my style so perfectly I almost don't have a choice.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86

That was amazing indeed. I can't say I've had one of those moments though. I haven't been really happy with my tone for a while.
Quote by tubetime86
It's funny, the first Fender gear I bought was a t-shirt. Then my strat, then my Bassman. I now wear the shirt with pride. I'm slowly but surely becoming a pretty serious Fender fanboi... But then again they suit my style so perfectly I almost don't have a choice.

I had the privilege of playing a high end Fender strat a few months ago and I do have to say I was quite impressed with it. Enough so I do plan on getting one in the near future. But as far as that type of music I dont think I would ever buy something off the shelf. Example to me metal is metal its an off the shelf type of product. Thus the reason I have the two amps I own and they suit my style and budget so thats what I got. But for blues, cleans and anything with soul. I want it to be boutique and my own. So sometime in the next year or so im just going to have someone build me a amp from the ground up for those purposes..
Quote by IbanezPsycho
So sometime in the next year or so im just going to have someone build me a amp from the ground up for those purposes..

Or you could just get a Budda Superdrive.

I've had a couple WTF moments with guitar tone, often because of a bad cable/volume knob is down/short switch is engaged on my cable/I have the effects loop wired in reverse/a cable isn't plugged in/my power strip switch is turned off.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??