I've had this issue for the past few months or so that when I pick up my bass and play a few songs on it with a pick, my picking hand gets really cramped (more specifically my thumb) after like 2 songs or so. Would this have to do with picking technique or am I just clenching the pick too hard? This never happens when I play guitar for extended periods of time.

I use heavy picks if that means anything.
I had the same thing half a year ago... But one day it was just gone. Patience my friend, patience.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
I play guitar and bass, and I've noticed that playing guitar is physically easier than bass. Big fukken strings, more picking to do, left hand stretches, pressing harder on the frets.
Try to relax your right hand and hold the pick more loosely.
Arguing on the Internet is a lot like being in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded
Quote by Jesus_Dean
I play guitar and bass, and I've noticed that playing guitar is physically easier than bass. Big fukken strings, more picking to do, left hand stretches, pressing harder on the frets.
Try to relax your right hand and hold the pick more loosely.

Yeah definitely, it's easy to play runs on guitar but it's more of a bitch on bass since the frets are so huge.

And I'll try relaxing next time I play or just keep playing and see if it goes away. Thanks.
It could be the beginnings of tendinitis. Take it easy on your right hand when you are not playing bass. You could do permanent damage if you are not careful.
I don't think it's something as drastic as tendinitis. It's most likely that he's gripping the pick too hard, it happened to me. I would suggest loosening your grip on the grip and overall relaxing while you're playing.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Well, I said beginnings. The point is that it could develop into something more severe if care is not taken. The relaxing while playing is definately recommended. And try to keep your wrist as straight as possible while playing. If you keep your strap real low, it is really hard on your wrists. I didn't have a problem with this kind of thing until around age 27. It took me out of the game for several months and my wrists have never been the same.
Last edited by Zacher at Jul 29, 2009,
You might be holding the pick wrong. You should grip it with you index and middle fingers, and let the other two go free. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i9sDZVd0Aw shows a guy playing this way.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
yes, grip with index and middle finger both on the plectrum.

It takes a bit of practice to get used to playing bass with a pick, it's a completely different kettle fish from playing ordinary guitar. you'll need to build up stamina and a technique that feels natural to you, this'll take time. exersize patience, and although muscles in your hand will need exersize, don't play though pain.

try a lighter gauge of pick. this will stop you playing too hard; like, you can only 'push' it so hard into the string before it bends and sort of, 'flops' over the strings - it sets a "maximum" as to how hard you can pluck. I played with big stubby type picks, the hard plastic ones, at first, but I found the fact there's no give in it atall a bit unnatural, kind of like playing with a coin or something. I play with blue dunlops now (tortex..?), They're just perfect for me. I like the purple ones aswell.
this happened to me and I adjusted my strap. it gave a more comfortable angle.

hope this helps!
w/o bass n drums, there wouldn't really be rock music.

Schecter is pronounced 'Shek-ter', right? I don't want to walk in and say, "Hey, can I try out that Sketcher?" and have the helper reply with "Wtf, we don't sell shoes!"
Quote by BassicDragon33
I've had this issue for the past few months or so that when I pick up my bass and play a few songs on it with a pick, my picking hand gets really cramped (more specifically my thumb) after like 2 songs or so. Would this have to do with picking technique or am I just clenching the pick too hard? This never happens when I play guitar for extended periods of time.

I use heavy picks if that means anything.

Try using fingerstyle to give your thumb a rest.
Quote by jimRH7
yes, grip with index and middle finger both on the plectrum.

It takes a bit of practice to get used to playing bass with a pick, it's a completely different kettle fish from playing ordinary guitar. you'll need to build up stamina and a technique that feels natural to you, this'll take time. exersize patience, and although muscles in your hand will need exersize, don't play though pain.

try a lighter gauge of pick. this will stop you playing too hard; like, you can only 'push' it so hard into the string before it bends and sort of, 'flops' over the strings - it sets a "maximum" as to how hard you can pluck. I played with big stubby type picks, the hard plastic ones, at first, but I found the fact there's no give in it atall a bit unnatural, kind of like playing with a coin or something. I play with blue dunlops now (tortex..?), They're just perfect for me. I like the purple ones aswell.

Aren't the purple picks 1.14mm though?
Quote by RPGoof
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

Quote by cal1
Aren't the purple picks 1.14mm though?

yeah. the blue ones are 1mm i think.
Quote by jimRH7
yeah. the blue ones are 1mm i think.

I think so, but I also learned something new: the color system on the Tortex Sharp picks seems to be different than the one on regular Dunlops. I have a purple Tortex Sharp that's 1.14mm thick and a purple regular pick thats .93mm thick. By the way, I use .73mm picks on my bass.
Quote by RPGoof
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

Last edited by cal1 at Jul 31, 2009,