I recently purchased an Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Black Cherry). Is there a better Ibanez that you could purchase for under $500? I really like the Wizard II neck, but this is going to be my last guitar purchase for a loooong time. At the time Guitar Center didn't have too many Ibanez's with fixed bridges in stock.

My requirements:

* Wizard II Neck
* Fixed Bridge
* Bound Neck preferable
* some variation of red or matte black for the color
* Passive pickups preferred

I am not saying I don't like my RG3EXFM1, I just want to make sure that there isn't a better quality guitar that I am missing out on just because it wasn't in stock at the time.

P.S. Would the expert guitarist on this forum consider this a good guitar to mod in the future? At some point install locking tuners, upgrade pickups, etc.
If you go used you should be able to pick up a rg 550 from the 90's for around that price or cheaper. I bought a rg 2550z used on ebay for 640, so used is the way to go.
A bunch of RG's
]Ibanez RG2550Z
1990 Ibanez rg550
ZW Buzzsaw
Ibanez: s470
Jackson: RR Flying V
Charvel: 90's model sunburst
Jackson Stealth
Mesa Boogie Solo 50
Sunn cab
Ibanez RGR421EXFM. $450.
Wizard II, mahogany body, fixed bridge, and comes in "blackberry sunburst" and "transparent lavender burst"

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RGR421EXFM-Electric-Guitar?sku=512459

I've got one. They're pretty awesome, except for the pickups.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Ibanez RGA42FM, the only problem with that model is the active pickups which are replaceable anyway.
Haha I was going to say RGA42FM as well. I tried it and it feels very nice, and has higher quality parts than the RG3EXFM1. It's also got this cool EQ switch that switches the sound to a preset EQ curve. And red is available.
Quote by dyc
I recently purchased an Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Black Cherry). Is there a better Ibanez that you could purchase for under $500? I really like the Wizard II neck, but this is going to be my last guitar purchase for a loooong time. At the time Guitar Center didn't have too many Ibanez's with fixed bridges in stock.

My requirements:

* Wizard II Neck
* Fixed Bridge
* Bound Neck preferable
* some variation of red or matte black for the color
* Passive pickups preferred

I am not saying I don't like my RG3EXFM1, I just want to make sure that there isn't a better quality guitar that I am missing out on just because it wasn't in stock at the time.

P.S. Would the expert guitarist on this forum consider this a good guitar to mod in the future? At some point install locking tuners, upgrade pickups, etc.

In general, Ibanez makes great quality guitars, espeacially for the price, but I think they make guitars with pickups that are meant to be replaced. I have an as-73 and it sounds great and all, but a good set of pickups thrown into it would make a world of difference.

It would be a great guitar to mod. I'm not a big fan of the wizard II neck (I have large hands. I can solo decently on one but can't play a chord worth a damn.) but most people seem to love them.
Quote by JagerSlushy
Ibanez RGR421EXFM. $450.
Wizard II, mahogany body, fixed bridge, and comes in "blackberry sunburst" and "transparent lavender burst"

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RGR421EXFM-Electric-Guitar?sku=512459

I've got one. They're pretty awesome, except for the pickups.

Besides having a mahogany body, and reverse headstock, what are the differences. From what I can tell it looks almost the same. Is mahogany supposed to be better than basswood?
Quote by The Red Comet
Haha I was going to say RGA42FM as well. I tried it and it feels very nice, and has higher quality parts than the RG3EXFM1. It's also got this cool EQ switch that switches the sound to a preset EQ curve. And red is available.

Where?
Quote by dyc
Is mahogany supposed to be better than basswood?

No, it's a preference.
The typical RG Sound is basswood.
Yeah you have a point there. Alright so it's not necessarily better in concrete terms, but you might want to give it a go and see how it feels in comparison. I've tried both, and they're both quite nice. I didn't try them at the same time, though, so I couldn't really compare. The EQ switch is pretty nifty to have, something I don't see on guitars too often. I'm not sure what difference the Gibraltar bridge makes, though I've heard it has better sustain.
I'm going to undercut your budget a little and suggest the RG2EX1. I've got one and love the tuxedo look you get from a fully bound black guitar. Not to mention it plays pretty good after a setup.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
According to these posts it appears that the RG3EXFM will hold up pretty well. I may put in locking tuners but beyond that I think I am set.
Quote by ch0
I'm going to undercut your budget a little and suggest the RG2EX1. I've got one and love the tuxedo look you get from a fully bound black guitar. Not to mention it plays pretty good after a setup.

lol why got the USA Model V7 and V8 Pickups?!
The EU Model is that: http://www.musicworldbrilon.de/Gitarren--B%C3%A4sse--Amps/E-Gitarren/Ibanez-RGR-321-EX-BK--23474.html?refID=froogle.de and it costs 350EUROS!!
But it has 5 Way Switch
Quote by compin
lol why got the USA Model V7 and V8 Pickups?!
The EU Model is that: http://www.musicworldbrilon.de/Gitarren--B%C3%A4sse--Amps/E-Gitarren/Ibanez-RGR-321-EX-BK--23474.html?refID=froogle.de and it costs 350EUROS!!
But it has 5 Way Switch
That's an RGR, not the same guitar. Close, but by an inch or a mile, different is different.

Anyway, with the money left over after the $299.99 USD the guitar costs leaves lots left over for new pickups. That's what I did and I've got no regrets. Killer looks and a wicked vibe.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Last edited by ch0 at Jul 30, 2009,
Quote by ch0
That's an RGR, not the same guitar. Close, but by an inch or a mile, different is different.

No. The Headstock is the only Difference and as i said the Pickups, why get the usa model v7 and v8 and the EU model only INF1 and INF2
Quote by compin
No. The Headstock is the only Difference and as i said the Pickups, why get the usa model v7 and v8 and the EU model only INF1 and INF2
Different pickups and a different headstock. You're right, they're the same.

Who cares which crappy pickups it comes with? They're all junk that any sane person would want to replace.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by ch0
Different pickups and a different headstock. You're right, they're the same.

Yes. It's an RG and RG is RG...

Pickups are overrated btw.
Quote by compin
Yes. It's an RG and RG is RG...

Yeah, right...
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by drivermod
If you go used you should be able to pick up a rg 550 from the 90's for around that price or cheaper. I bought a rg 2550z used on ebay for 640, so used is the way to go.

qft
Quote by drivermod

This. Those are fine guitars. I got my 570 for $325 so just check the used market or eBay. That's if you want an RG.....
Quote by MetalHead916
This. Those are fine guitars. I got my 570 for $325 so just check the used market or eBay. That's if you want an RG.....

....with a trem otherwise the RGA or hardtail RG guitars are just fine.