Hey everyone, I will be buying a new computer sometime soon, probably Thursday. I dont play many games, but everyone i've talked to says i need a decent graphics card. I figured I could probably run CSS, because it's fairly old, if I am not mistaken.

Anyway, if you could do me a huge favour and just tell me which games out of the following list would run, and how high i would have to put the setting on a Intel GMA 4500MHD I would love you forever.

Ex. World of Warcraft - Would run - Low settings.

Ok, so here's the real list.

Counter-Strike: Source
Garry's Mod
The Sims 2
Half Life 2
World of Warcraft

I am aware it is not a laptop for gaming, but having a few would be nice, so if you could tell me, some info on those games, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
CSS works on my machine, it will work on yours.

If it is a new computer, it should be no problem.
No. GMA is an integrated GPU. It is very weak. At best, it can run Counter Strike 1.6, but not Source or any other Source engine games.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
No. GMA is an integrated GPU. It is very weak. At best, it can run Counter Strike 1.6, but not Source or any other Source engine games.

i had to deal with a similar crappy gpu on my old computer, it run most games pretty well. you won't be able to play WoW or anything, but counterstrike wont be an issue.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
CSS will run on any computer currently being sold. that game is ancient.

Nope. It could barely get 30FPS on a GeForce 5600, which I bet is still more powerful than today's Intel GMAs.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

This man speaks the truth. Not all intergrated GPU's support shader 2.0. My friend recently got a brand new laptop, but because of the intergeated GPU, it wont even run tribes...
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
i had to deal with a similar crappy gpu on my old computer, it run most games pretty well. you won't be able to play WoW or anything, but counterstrike wont be an issue.

the computer i use now has a worse graphics card than that (I think), and it can run WoW...

EDIT: I also know nothing about computers, so all this integrated stuff goes wayy over my head.
Last edited by 20cdndollars at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by 20cdndollars
the computer i use now has a worse graphics card than that (I think), and it can run WoW...

EDIT: I also know nothing about computers, so all this integrated stuff goes wayy over my head.

integrated means your graphics chip is built into your motherboard, as opposed to being an independent thing, like what you get if you go out and buy your own graphics card.
Quote by 20cdndollars

Integrated means that the graphic processor (GPU) is a stock chip that comes with your motherboard. It is intended for basic displaying needs and has very little power and speed on its own while also drawing the central processor (CPU) and memory for processing power, making it very weak for graphic intensive applications.

Dedicated GPU's, on the other hand, are separate and external cards that connect to your motherboard. These chips are much faster and more powerful because they are able to use external power, have their own memory, and has the protection of their own cooling system.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jul 29, 2009,
I do know stuff about computers, I do it for a living and as a study.
And I can tell you that yes, iGPUs are weakers then cards, but this particular one is decent fast, has 4.0 pixel and vertex shader, and supports Directx10.

You can easily run these games, Probably half life 2 on low settings and the rest normal.
Quote by Antis0cial
I do know stuff about computers, I do it for a living and as a study.
And I can tell you that yes, iGPUs are weakers then cards, but this particular one is decent fast, has 4.0 pixel and vertex shader, and supports Directx10.

You can easily run these games, Probably half life 2 on low settings and the rest normal.

Ok, thank you I thought some of those were a little harder to run.

Quote by Xiaoxi
Integrated means that the graphic processor (GPU) is a stock chip that comes with your motherboard. It is intended for basic displaying needs and has very little power and speed on its own while also drawing the central processor (CPU) and memory for processing power, making it very weak for graphic intensive applications.

Dedicated GPU's, on the other hand, are separate and external cards that connect to your motherboard. These chips are much faster and more powerful because they are able to use external power, have their own memory, and has the protection of their own cooling system.

Doesnt it have to be integrated for a laptop?
Quote by 20cdndollars

Doesnt it have to be integrated for a laptop?

No you have graphics cards for laptops, but ofcourse they are build and look totally different then desktop cards
Quote by Antis0cial
No you have graphics cards for laptops, but ofcourse they are build and look totally different then desktop cards

Oh, ok.