Chords + Lyrics = contemporary rock/pop song.

Most of its just wank, just a simple motif built on tried and tested formulaic patterns and thats it. Bang. I'm gonna go classical
Once We Were Anarchists
What the hell are you talking about? If you find mainstream music dull go prog
Your mother likes it ruff, Trebeck.
Quote by Danny7

Most of its just wank, just a simple motif built on tried and tested formulaic patterns and thats it. Bang. I'm gonna go classical

That's the worst formula I've ever seen
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

Good.

So, you're the next Vangelis, I guess, since you wanna do weird music and you are from Greece.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by irongoat666
That's the worst formula I've ever seen

orly?!
*peers at user name*
Quote by you = fail
orly?!
*peers at user name*

Yours' the truth.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by you = fail
orly?!
*peers at user name*

Okay, 2nd worst
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

i actually happen to find some songs that are quite nice when they are simply composed of just lyrics and chords. It's when they get repetitive is when it pisses me off. Then you either have rap or green day.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Quote by Danny7

So the more complicated a piece is, the better, amirite?
Quote by irongoat666
Okay, 2nd worst

Well okay Mr. Irongoat...IF THAT IS YOUR REAL NAME
Quote by Stormx
So the more complicated a piece is, the better, amirite?

No, the less boring the piece, the better.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
I mean, whats really left to expression in music today, when its usually a spontaneous 5 or 6 note diddly that seperates it from anything else thats been played before. I'm not saying all songs sound alike, that bands aren't being inventive enough, or people aren't necessarily feeling what they're playing (though this seems to be rare - and theres a whole market for pretentious fluffy-everything), just it seems it doesn't take much to move a crowd, and

ftr

its more or less

(badly) written (usually) lyrics + repetitve (preferrebrly) melodic (calculated) happenstance/....chords.

So maybe the forumla was a little off.
Once We Were Anarchists
Quote by MetalGS3SE
No, the less boring the piece, the better.

This
Quote by Danny7
Chords + Lyrics = every non-instrumental song ever made.

Fix'd. TS, get over yourself.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
ts, i think you're looking in the wrong places. that's what you normally find on the radio.

but hey, classical ain't bad. go for it.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
comments are lol , TS should have learned in 3rd grade mathematics that ignorant posts = a slap in the face
Quote by sloppyjoe24
ts, i think you're looking in the wrong places. that's what you normally find on the radio.

but hey, classical ain't bad. go for it.

I assume that's what he meant. You turn on the radio and hear all of these rich and famous people who are doing nothing but strumming a few simple chords and singing the same lyrics over and over again. Half the time they don't even write their own songs.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
gah yeah.. I hate chorus'.. they're so corny!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by Antis0cial
So songs with chords and lyrics are bad?

Don't listen to music anymore.... I'm serious

Ha, theres a lot of songs that were written in the right way at the right time, and can really mean something. I'm more moved by a tramp with an accordian than a Def Leppard song.
Once We Were Anarchists
If it tells a good story, It's good music. It doesn't have to be complicated. It's not llike classical music had to be complicated( I love it too)
Quote by Danny7

I'm going to point out here that classical was EXTREMELY formulated.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
So you just realized pop music is simple?

Edit: I'm gonna go ahead and post this Frank Zappa quote that I've seen a few times. It's relevant whether it's completely accurate or not.

"I'll tell you what classical music is, for those of you who don't know. Classical music is this music that was written by a bunch of dead people a long time ago. And it's formula music, the same as top forty music is formula music. In order to have a piece be classical, it has to conform to academic standards that were the current norms of that day and age ... I think that people are entitled to be amused, and entertained. If they see deviations from this classical norm, it's probably good for their mental health."
Last edited by werty22 at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by Danny7

Bit immature, no?

No, that isn't personal. There is some great "pop" around at the moment, in my opinion.
I want to punch the TS in the face.

I listen to a lot of 'simple' chord and lyric style artists. Namely RHCP, White Stripes, Zep, Thermals, The Who, etc. etc. but that doesn't discredit their work as innovative as the likes of Hendrix and Pink Floyd which were obviously innovative for their times.

simplicity is best matched with engauging lyrics. A lost art among many radio artists.