Thought this would be the most appropriate forum, apologies if not.

Been thinking about taking up teaching as an extra job. Having never had a teacher myself I didn't realise how unregulated it is (in the UK at least).

Has anyone taken the RGT teaching diploma? Is it worth it (@ £270!)? Did it help to get students? Would a grade 8 be better value? (Or both?)

I've been playing for a little over 5 years and studied for grade 8 pop music theory (passed mocks but didn't actually take the real exam) so it wouldn't require a huge amount of work to get myself up to the standard required on the theory and my technique should be just about good enough (I'm no shredder).

Thanks for any help.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
so your thinking about teaching, yet you have no real grades yourself?

If i was you; meaning I wanted to teach guitar, I would definitly take out a teaching Diploma. Because that shows you can teach.
First off, you're talking teaching privately, not in the school system, right? I really have to assume that the school system there, like most other places in the developed world, is quite heavily regulated.

As far as teaching privately, anyone can put up an ad and say they teach guitar. And, if you get students, then you teach guitar. You don't need a piece of paper that says you can, and even if you do have one that says you have completed such-and-such, it really only means that you might be able to.

Your ability to teach comes down to:
-your own knowledge and skill / experience
-your ability to communicate
-how much you care

Your ability to attract students comes down to:
-how much you advertise
-how much your students and colleagues advertise for you (word of mouth)
-your reputation/experience

Your ability to KEEP students comes down to:
-how well you communicate
-how much you care
-how much the student feels he/she is learning

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
"pedal" , i have the old diploma "llcm"
you can send me a message and i will share my experience of this exam with you .
worton: I've never done grades because I've never had to (being self taught). I personally don't really agree with the idea but it does prove that you have some ability.

axemanchris: yes I did mean privately. I haven't looked into it but for school work I assume I'd be subjected to the usual working with kids checks/legislation. I realise the "anyone can be a teacher" bit but I was more asking if a bit of paper would help to gain significant amount of students. Advice was useful though thanks.

ibanez1511: sent pm.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
For school work, you typically need a degree in music (4 yrs) and a degree in teaching (1 yr). Total study = 5 years +/- of post high school education.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.