Hey, I have been playing guitar for little over 7 years now.

I play quite well and know quite alot about music theory. The thing is though, when I played (first 3 years) I never had too much interest in playing guitar solos, so as a result, I'm not very experienced in that area.

Lately I have become more interested in learning solos so here are a few that learned:

- Stairway To Heaven (most of the solo)
- Part of the solo from another brick in the wall.
- Don't cry solo.
- Beginning of Sweet Child O' Mine and November Rain solos.
- Rock you like a hurricane intro solo.
- Master Of Puppets slow solo (the first one).
- Smoke on the water solo
- Intro solos of Layla (clapton) and many Iron Maiden songs (Trooper, wasting love etc...)

I can improvise well and I can play my own bluesy solos.

Here is what I ask of you: Could you please name me 5 cool solos that I should learn (I like anything from oasis to iron maiden) and could you post them in order of difficulty.

I'd like 2 easy solos, 2 intermediate and a hard one.

Also, feel free to tell me which scales I should learn to improve my soloing.

Thanks in Advance.
uhhh, I guess these would be good.

Easy: Shock Me By KISS, Voodoo Child (slight Return)

Medium: Crazy Train By Ozzy Osbourne, Highway Star By Deep Purple

Hard: Domination By Pantera
I tried to include some from different genres. It is important to learn all types of solos, not just to increase your skill level to be able to play everything, but to also give you some more tricks to better your own solos.
Easy:
-Wanted Dead or Alive-Bon Jovi
-Farewell ballad- zakk wylde
Medium:
-To Tame a Land- Iron Maiden
-Comfortably Numb-Pink Floyd (half of it is just having the patience to learn the whole thing)
Hard:
-Eruption-van Halen (really, you could pick any Van Halen solo. As long as you get a good tab, it isn't that hard if you slow it done and work up to it. Especially since you have played for a while).

Lastly, any scale will better your solos. Learn the 7 modes (lockrian, mixolydian, aeolian,etc) and the 5 pentatonics. Practice them with different patterns and you will get so much faster (if you use a metronome).
=====Signature Currently Under Construction=====
The solo to Mother by Pink Floyd is pretty easy and tasteful. It taught me a lot about intervals and arpeggios. The solo to Any Colour you Like is more challenging but it taught me a lot about funky licks, not to mention some interesting rhythms and bends.

Aside from that, I don't know what to tell you, I've been playing almost as long as you have, but I don't really learn solos note for note anymore. What I do, is just play along to my favorite music and just listen and incorporate what I hear into my solo.

When I play along with Hendrix for example, I try to imitate what I hear him do, or in other words, I try to follow his lead with my lead. It is practically impossible to imitate but you do learn a LOT about how solos work. Same thing for SRV for me.

I am sure the same could be done with your favorite guitarists.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
thanks

I've worked all my guitar life being good at everything apart from solos, if I get good at this I will finally be better than my cousin (he's the reason I started to learn the guitar, he was my mentor ).

Any more help would be great.

also, how long would it take to be good at soloing?
Quote by thedefrockednun
thanks

I've worked all my guitar life being good at everything apart from solos, if I get good at this I will finally be better than my cousin (he's the reason I started to learn the guitar, he was my mentor ).

Any more help would be great.

also, how long would it take to be good at soloing?

Oh, I dunno, I started to seriously apply myself to soloing about 3 years ago, and I just got to the point where I feel I can fully express myself in my own way last March. It all came very suddenly, over the course of two days I went from not being able to express myself that well to being fully capable of doing it. Even so, everyone still has their bad days. Somedays you just feel the groove and others you dont.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Call me Charlie.
Quote by Seryaph
Oh, I dunno, I started to seriously apply myself to soloing about 3 years ago, and I just got to the point where I feel I can fully express myself in my own way last March. It all came very suddenly, over the course of two days I went from not being able to express myself that well to being fully capable of doing it. Even so, everyone still has their bad days. Somedays you just feel the groove and others you dont.

From your description it seems that your guitar "career" (if I may call it that) is very similar to mine.

I CAN solo I just doN't know any solos (apart from the ones I wrote)
Quote by thedefrockednun
From your description it seems that your guitar "career" (if I may call it that) is very similar to mine.

I CAN solo I just doN't know any solos (apart from the ones I wrote)

Well, every person solos in their own way because they are expressing their own personal emotions. Yes, you can learn new techniques and tricks from other people's solos, but you will never be able to play them with the same feel and style that the original guitarist did. Nor will the solo mean the same to you as what the author originally intended.

You can learn the tricks by following along in the song and trying to match what you are hearing on your guitar. It takes longer, but when the realization comes, it is much stronger.

Nowadays, my playing is a lot more subconscious, so sometimes I do licks and techniques that I don't consciously remember learning, but my subconscious must have heard and retained and then logicked out how to do.

Call me Charlie.
Easy:
Nothing Else Matters by Metallica
Goodnight Kiss by Dream Theater

Medium:
I Don't Wanna Stop by Ozzy
Good Morning/Black Friday by Megadeth

Hard:
When the Water Breaks by L.T.E. (Liquid Tension Experiment)
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
If you want something on scales get the guitar grimoire scales and modes by adam kadmon. its NOT demonic. Its like a scale dictionary its a very good book that every guitar player should have.