Is this possible, or would the strings snap? What I'm trying to achieve here is getting a 24th fret on a 22 fret guitar for maby a duration of up to 15min. If so would it be able to do full step bends without breaking? And what gauge strings would be the most reasonable to use for this?

-Thanks -DS
Iron Promise
Xxƒ♪♫Rip-Dime,GNR♫♪ƒxX
Peace, Love, Rock
if you want to get a 24th fret sound from a 22 fret guitar just bend the string a full step on the 22nd fret. I think trying to tune your guitar up from standard tuning would make the strings way too tight and snap them.
and damian is right.. tuning up 2 whole steps would make it sound like 26 frets
yeah. to get 24 frets you would tune it up one step not two
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
I think there is an Audioslave solo were Tom Morello was tuned up a half-step and the guitar book came with a warning label on that song.

Be careful, you are risking damaging your guitar and the extra tension on the string could cause injuries with its whiplash if it breaks.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
As far as I'm concerned, you should NEVER tune more than a half step up. If you want the 22nd fret to sound like a 24th, do what I used to do with my G-10: Do a pinch harmonic. When I was first learning the solo in Dream Theater's "Goodnight Kiss", I had to find a way to play a bend on the 24th fret with only 22 frets so I started playing around a bit and found the perfect spot to do a pinch so it sounds like the 24th fret.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
you could use 0.008s, but they would probably cut the tips off of your fingers
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by Junior#1
As far as I'm concerned, you should NEVER tune more than a half step up. If you want the 22nd fret to sound like a 24th, do what I used to do with my G-10: Do a pinch harmonic. When I was first learning the solo in Dream Theater's "Goodnight Kiss", I had to find a way to play a bend on the 24th fret with only 22 frets so I started playing around a bit and found the perfect spot to do a pinch so it sounds like the 24th fret.

Yes.

I think it would screw up the neck quite a bit.

And what's the point of losing the bottom 2 steps?
Quote by bagpipemetal
Wouldn't putting a capo on the second fret do the same thing?

lol.

either you dont understand a thing about frets, semitones and tones or you just didn't read the topic. or your new to guitar (which is perfectly fine if this last one is the corect one)
Quote by bagpipemetal
Wouldn't putting a capo on the second fret do the same thing?

A capo doesn't effect the highest frets at all. All a capo on the second fret would do is just limit your playing on the low end of the neck.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
No! Don't! You'll just going to break the strings and your fingers will be bleeding and you won't be playing guitar a while after that. And you're not wanting to change strings for a while either. I've done it before. And it hurted like hell. I still have scars on my finger after that s**** *doh*.
Bends and PH are no good if he is wanting to play a fast run that involes the 23 and 24 frets on multiple strings. You just can't bend that fast or keep your runs sounding smooth if you are throwing in a PH to simulate a higher note.

This is the exact reason I won't buy a guitar unless it has 24 frets. You don't always use them but when you need too, its always nice to have them available.