Page 1 of 2
I'm just wondering what are some really nice Pick-Ups that'll help me get that 80s Thrash Metal sound like Megadeth, Uncle Slam, Toxic, Forbidden, etc.

Or if you want, you can just tell me what to look for in a Pick-Up to get this sound, then I can find one on my own.

Thanks
Quote by KreatorRage
Emg 81 and 85.

+1.
Used on pretty much every great Eighties Thrash album.
Quote by KreatorRage
Emg 81 and 85.

No...

Get some high output vintage passive pickups
Quote by Chop_Suey92
+1.
Used on pretty much every great Eighties Thrash album.

fo shizzy? lol ok thanks man, I'll check those out..... then figure out how to put them on.
Getting an amp similar to the bands you like is the best way to get close to their sound.

But if you really want pickups, Mustain uses his own 'live wire' pickups for example. Just look at the pickups used by the bands you like
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
A real marshall would probably help that tone to reach 80's way better than new pickups
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Quote by Metlhead443
A real marshall would probably help that tone to reach 80's way better than new pickups

What amp would you recommend?
Should I try to find a really nice amp for cheap on eBay, or should I save up more money to buy one brand new?
first ask the guy about his budget

what is your budget for a new amp?

Quote by static_music34
your guitar doesn't exist, apparently

good one...
:Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
Last edited by HectorBznRg at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by ChadHasADD
Should I try to find a really nice amp for cheap on eBay, or should I save up more money to buy one brand new?

most used amps are just fine

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
Quote by ChadHasADD

Maybe look for a used Marshall JCM800 or Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by HectorBznRg
first ask the guy about his budget

what is your budget for a new amp?

Currently I have around 1000$, but I'm trying to start making my own home recording studio too.

So far I plan on buying the Shure SM57 Microphone with Behringer TRUTH B2030A Active Monitors from Guitar Center, so all together I think it'll be like 400 dollars.

so with 600$ left, I'm pretty sure I'll have to save up more, but I might also sell my two other amps which are Line 6 Spider III 75 and Marshall MG 100HDFX.

I don't wanna just buy an amp then not like it a day later, ya know?
Amp before pickups . Since you want 80's Thrash I would recommend a JCM800 because it's what a lot of bands used such as Slayer, Metallica, etc. or you could cheap out(although it's not necessarily cheaping out) and buy a JCM900 which has more gain but lacks the amazing tone that comes with the JCM800 but it still sounds great

EDIT:
Quote by ChadHasADD
Currently I have around 1000$, but I'm trying to start making my own home recording studio too.

So far I plan on buying the Shure SM57 Microphone with Behringer TRUTH B2030A Active Monitors from Guitar Center, so all together I think it'll be like 400 dollars.

so with 600$ left, I'm pretty sure I'll have to save up more, but I might also sell my two other amps which are Line 6 Spider III 75 and Marshall MG 100HDFX.

I don't wanna just buy an amp then not like it a day later, ya know?

If used is an option then you could try and find a deal on eBay for a combo version of the amps I listed above, because you can find them relatively cheap but when you buy the whole stack your asking for a bigger price tag.
My Rig
Mesa Triple Rectifier Half Stack
Jackson USA King V 2
1988 American Made Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/Bigsby
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Last edited by Travis39 at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by pigeonmafia
Getting an amp similar to the bands you like is the best way to get close to their sound.

But if you really want pickups, Mustain uses his own 'live wire' pickups for example. Just look at the pickups used by the bands you like

Thats how Mustaine gets his sustain.

EMG 81 and 85, as someone said.
My JB does a really great thrash metal sound. The treble/presence gives it some nice bite with a good high gain amp.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
My JB does a really great thrash metal sound. The treble/presence gives it some nice bite with a good high gain amp.

can you give me the full name of the amp?
JB is a seymour duncan pickup.

To an above user: What's the difference between a JCM 800 and a JCM 900?? I might be getting my hands on a JCM 900 head pretty soon.
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Quote by RabbidWolf

To an above user: What's the difference between a JCM 800 and a JCM 900?? I might be getting my hands on a JCM 900 head pretty soon.

JCM 900=Higher gain
JCM 800= vintage/better tone

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
Are you biased in liking a vintage tone more than high-gain? Or does it just sound better?
I will go for the vintage tone
but its a matter of taste, some may preffer the higher gain

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
we've gotten sorta off topic lol

So I should just work on saving up for the JCM800? Does it matter if I buy the Cabinet AND Head or can I just buy the Head?
Quote by ChadHasADD
we've gotten sorta off topic lol

So I should just work on saving up for the JCM800? Does it matter if I buy the Cabinet AND Head or can I just buy the Head?

Dont do that!!
you NEED a cabinet
meaby not the matching cabinet (even when thats the reccomended thing) but at least a cabinet with higher wattage
you cant use a head without a cabinet
if you are out of cash go for a combo versiob of the JCM800

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
What if I just use the cabinet from my Marshall MG100HDFX? That's what I was planning on doing if I could.
Quote by ChadHasADD
What if I just use the cabinet from my Marshall MG100HDFX? That's what I was planning on doing if I could.

It would sound like crap for the time being.

Quote by RabbidWolf

Like the guy above said. Personally the JCM 900 sounds great to me, much better than the DSL 100's. But the 800 is does have the better tone, which is why it's so desirable and expensive.
My Rig
Jackson USA King V 2
1988 American Made Strat
the JCM 900 simply sounds smoother as well as having more gain, its less of a classic RAWK sound I suppose. Still ball shaking tone though
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by ChadHasADD

that will sound decent for a while
but you should get matching cabinet (or another if you will, just make sure its a good one) when you got the money for it

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
sorry, why cant you use a head by itself??
Quote by RabbidWolf

Theirs no speakers in it. You get 0 sound .
My Rig
Jackson USA King V 2
1988 American Made Strat
Dont get EMG's they sound like poo when you play them with SS amps, like yours. In my opinion they sound like poo in general.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by RabbidWolf

If you power up a head without a cab attached, you can seriously damage the head. Heads don't have speakers. There is no sound produced directly from the head, you must run it through a cab.
I feel that the JB is a more "modern" sounding pickup. Personally, I would go with dimarzios. a PAF-Joe in the neck and a Super Distortion in the bridge would fit your needs perfectly.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
80's Thrash Metal. All the below info is from 2/4 'Big Four' Thrash Metal Bands, from their gear in the 80's only.

Metallica:

Kirk Hammett had a Black Gibson Flying V with probably the stock pickups at the time of the first two albums and probably didn';t switch to EMG's till' the Black Album. He also used a Jackson RR1T (I believe this was the model. It was an RR1 of some sort), which had 2 Seymour Duncan pickups. JB/Jazz (TB4/SH2 ; bridge/neck) combo.

Hetfield started using EMG's starting with Ride the Lightning in his Explorer shaped guitars made by various companies. It was an 81/60 combo (bridge/neck) combo.

Megadeth

Dave Mustaine initially used the 10 string B.C. Rich in the beginning of his career with unknown pickups. In Megadeth, he started to use the Jackson King V that used the JB/Jazz pickups as in the Jackson Randy Rhoads as well. He switched pickups in the late 80's/early 90's to some sort of active pickup, I believe. I do not know whether these were EMG's or SD Livewires.

His other guitarists in the 80's used I believe Jackson RR's. I'm not familiar with their guitars/gear.

Amps:

Metallica used Marshall JCM 800's and Mesa Boogie IIC+ and Dual Rectifiers.

Megadeth probably used Marshall amps as well.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Last edited by Junnage at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Well Ride the Lightning was recorded on JCM 800s.

You also can't forget that JCM 800's were also used on Reign in Blood.
or practically any 80;s recording
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by ChadHasADD

That's probably the worst part of an MG. Low end Marshalls get awful speakers. My AVT sounded 10x better after a swap.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Page 1 of 2