Page 1 of 2
Recently I got stopped for having my lights off half an hour before dark. My license was also about a week overdue (really dumb on my part, should have just renewed it). I also got a ticket for not wearing a seat belt. Those two tickets (license and seat belt) amount to $200. I have automatic seat belts. My lap belt wasn't fastened, though. That's what the $99 is for.

I'm taking it to court on August 5th. I want the Pit's take on what I can say in defense. Important points:

A) I had just gone through the McDonald's drive through which is less than mile away from my house. I had hot McDonald's in the car at the time. I had only ventured out to get some McDonald's. I JUST WANTED A BIG MAC.

B) The officer asked me if I normally went without the lap belt, and I said out of habit I normally don't put it on. VERY dumb thing to say, I should have just dodged his question.

C) Again, I have automatic seat belts that go over the chest. The ticket says "no seat belt." It's wrong, I was wearing a seat belt. Just no lap belt.

Some ideas I've had so far include claiming that I had the lap belt on, but unfastened it to get my wallet out of my back pocket to produce my license and the officer didn't notice it (going for a not guilty); I unfastened it at McDonald's to get out my wallet to pay and forgot to put it back on (trying to earn mercy). Both of those are negated by my admitting to the officer that I don't use my lap belt out of habit. So I don't think those are usable, at least not the first one.

Right now I think I'm just going to use the fact that I was only driving less than a mile to get some food, along with my having on the automatic seat belt (which again is totally unmentioned in the ticket) to get some leniency. But am I missing something? Is there a better defense? Has anyone gone to court for a ticket? What's it like?

TL;DR - Got a ticket for no seat belt. I had an automatic chest belt on, but no lap belt. I'm going to court for it. What's a good defense to pitch to the judge?
We're only strays.
Last edited by Martyr's Prayer at Jul 29, 2009,
What does the seatbelt law say. Does it say you need a lap belt? Look that up before going into court. Also, look up your state/dictatorship's law on when your lights have to be turned on.

Was your Big Mac strapped in?
I play guitar like a pirate with two hooks....so...uh...just call me Meathook! Yar!
I need you now Ultimate Guidance!!!

EDIT @ cocronk: I'm sure it's a law, why would the officer make one up? Even if it isn't the judge will realize that on his own.
We're only strays.
McDonalds; the root of all your seat belt related problems..
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Simple solution. Hire someone to kill the police officer. No witness, no case.
"Most people are trying to simplify the world. We're definitely here to complicate it." - Dad
Quote by RocksAwakening5
I you for posting this.

<-- Pretty much sums me up

8/7/09

^ I was there
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Pay your dues, you broke the law.

Wear your seatbelt normally, it's stupid not to.

This.
you're lucky, around here no seatbelt is 300$ with 2 demerit points....
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
umm... you're basically going to have to eat those 2 tickets. you can say what you want but chances are you're still going to end up paying for them.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Wait, wont it cost MORE to hire a lawyer and go to court about it then the actual amount for the ticket?
"Most people are trying to simplify the world. We're definitely here to complicate it." - Dad
Quote by RocksAwakening5
I you for posting this.

<-- Pretty much sums me up

8/7/09

^ I was there
Quote by kxy1992
Wait, wont it cost MORE to hire a lawyer and go to court about it then the actual amount for the ticket?

yep...

why not just go in, pay the ticket, admit you didnt have a seatbelt on and leave. makes it less stressful for everyone, unless the cop is a no show.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Quote by kxy1992

If he wins, the court might award costs (I assume this happens for traffic infractions). But he won't win, cause he broke the law.
walk into the court room, demand to see the officer, then begin to repeatedly scream "I AM THE LAW!" in his face, walk out of the court room and claim victory
Why is this topic even here? Are you serious?

You admitted that you weren't wearing your lapbelt, which is required and most cars have a warning on the sunvisor or belt that it's required. And now you're wanting to lie in a court of law and say you had it on but the officer didn't see you take it off?

You broke the law, you pay the price, idiot.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
I just wanted a Pepsi! Just one Pepsi! AND SHE WOULDNT GIVE IT TO ME! JUST ONE PEPSI
Your mother likes it ruff, Trebeck.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer

EDIT @ cocronk: I'm sure it's a law, why would the officer make one up? Even if it isn't the judge will realize that on his own.

Trust me on this, cops don't know every single law. Sometimes certain aspects of certain laws are forgotten or rearranged in their heads. I've seen court cases that have been thrown out, like were a guy was arrested for refusing to show a cop his ID. There's no law that says you have to carry an ID, so a cop can't arrest you for not showing an ID.

Shtuff like that. If you really think you have any chance at all at beating this, then look up the laws.
I play guitar like a pirate with two hooks....so...uh...just call me Meathook! Yar!
I'm not going to hire a lawyer, I'm just going to present myself well and basicly ask for leniency. I think I should be able to get SOME break, I mean I've had speeding tickets where I was blatantly over the posted limit and they were less than $200. Not to mention I got stopped for having no lights on in the daytime.
We're only strays.
Quote by kxy1992

he didn't hire a lawyer.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer

sometimes officers are more strict and will give you a ticket for some BS reason if its the end of the month in order to meet their requirement.
Quote by you = fail
I just wanted a Pepsi! Just one Pepsi! AND SHE WOULDNT GIVE IT TO ME! JUST ONE PEPSI

lol...

SHE SAID, YOU'RE ON DRUGS, AND I SAID MOM I'M NOT ON DRUGS I JUST WANT A PEPSI
We're only strays.
if what you're saying is you're guilty and you weren't wearing your seatbelt, then you should just man up and pay the ticket. and the "it was only one mile away from my house" defense won't work. it doesn't matter if you were 1 mile or 100 miles away, you still get the same punishment
Sue McDonalds...

Didn't that lady win for spilling coffee all over herself and it didn't say caution hot on the cup?

I think the judicial system has it out for that fine establishment...

So in conclusion:
1. Sue Mcdonalds over Seat belt ticket.
2. Take pictures of you with the lap belt on smiling giving a thumbs up
3. Take more pictures of yourself holding a ticket and a big mac while frowning
4.??????
5. PROFIT
Quote by Yakult
Shooting mice is the equivalent to smoking weed: it's fun and seemingly harmless, but before you know it, you're shooting smack into every vein and murdering children left right and center.

GeEbZ.
Quote by cokronk
Trust me on this, cops don't know every single law. Sometimes certain aspects of certain laws are forgotten or rearranged in their heads. I've seen court cases that have been thrown out, like were a guy was arrested for refusing to show a cop his ID. There's no law that says you have to carry an ID, so a cop can't arrest you for not showing an ID.

Shtuff like that. If you really think you have any chance at all at beating this, then look up the laws.

I hate to press you for more info since you've already been a big help, but do you know where I could look up these laws?
We're only strays.
Just pay the tickets out of court. That way you get no court fees too. There is no way that you are getting out of this no matter what you say. The judge will always believe the officer over the guilty party.
Fender 5 String Jazz Bass
Fender Precision Bass
Peavey TNT 115
EHX Bass Big Muff Pi
Daneletro Cool Cat OD V2 (excellent pedal)
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Peavey Classic 30
Vox V845 Classic Wah Pedal
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
walk into the court room, demand to see the officer, then begin to repeatedly scream "I AM THE LAW!" in his face, walk out of the court room and claim victory

this is the absolute only way you can win this case.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
dude ur supposed to have your seat belt on when ever the cars engine is running. technically when your at micdonalds and you take it off to pay ur still breaking the law. if you take the drivers test and turn on the car before putting it on its an automatic fail... wear your seat belt... simple as for lights, u just got a picky cop... sorry dude
Do you have any priors? Do you know if you're meeting with the officer or the DA?
Hi, I'm Peter
Just pay it.... don't go to court, all your excuses are retarded your just going to make things allot worse.

You already have a record so there is no chance they'll think your an out standing citizen. So there not going to see it your way.

Bite the bullet, and for feck sake wear "all" of your seat belt, you deserve a face palm for the 1 mile excuse...
Lepracauns Forever!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Ice Master at Jul 29, 2009,
There are only two things I can think of what you can do...

1) Do a barrel roll (to do this tap Z and R twice). or...

2) Yell in the court room, "I am the goddamn Batman!" and storm out of the room as if no one is there to stop you.
Well usually when you go into traffic court/municipal court, the officer who cited you will not be there. So in all honesty, you're not going to have to worry about him telling the judge that you normally wear it and have the cop argue that point with you. Plus in routine traffic stops cops dont usually document everything like that that you say. So I would go with the fact that you had removed it to get to your wallet while at the restaurant and had forgotten to put it back on. Admit to being ignorant, but not to being recklessly ignorant.

If it was light enough outside for you to clearly see other vehicles and your car isnt a dark color, you can play off that you were unaware of the time and that your headlights should have been on.

Either way, you're probably gonna have to pay it all. But there are ways to word things that might make the judge take a less harsh approach at punishment for said citations.
Quote by Redrocker336
There are only two things I can think of what you can do...

1) Do a barrel roll (to do this tap Z and R twice). or...

2) Yell in the court room, "She lies, that little slut!"

fixed.
Your mother likes it ruff, Trebeck.

Always wear your seatbelt in the drive thru, or else Ronald Mcdonald sheds tears...
Quote by Yakult
Shooting mice is the equivalent to smoking weed: it's fun and seemingly harmless, but before you know it, you're shooting smack into every vein and murdering children left right and center.

GeEbZ.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Do you have any priors? Do you know if you're meeting with the officer or the DA?

I have prior tickets, mostly from when I first started driving. They're all taken care of, I'm pretty sure my points are all gone by now. Don't know if it's judge or DA, but I do live in a pretty small town if that has any baring on it.

Quote by music_mike

Either way, you're probably gonna have to pay it all. But there are ways to word things that might make the judge take a less harsh approach at punishment for said citations.

That's pretty much what I'm banking on at this point.
We're only strays.
Well, it'll be a judge no matter what, but beforehand you can usually meet with a DA or the officer who gave you your ticket and try to plea it down. Trying all of these creative excuses usually won't get you anywhere. Get a copy of your driver's abstract from your DMV to see if you have anything that's still active. If you don't, I'd bring a copy with you and see if you can get one ticket thrown out or get them both reduced to something minor. You'll have to pay money; what you don't want are points and an insurance increase.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I'm not going to hire a lawyer, I'm just going to present myself well and basicly ask for leniency. I think I should be able to get SOME break, I mean I've had speeding tickets where I was blatantly over the posted limit and they were less than $200. Not to mention I got stopped for having no lights on in the daytime.

you're asking for leniency? you're not facing jail time, man. they're traffic tickets. slap on the wrist and move on with your life.
Page 1 of 2