All right UG, I'm in need of some help in purchasing my next guitar. Lets keep in mind I'm a fan of metalcore/Deathcore (ie August Burns Red, The Devil Wears Prada, Born of Osiris, Veil of Maya, The Faceless, etc.)

I recently took a trip over to Nashville and stepped foot inside a Gutiar Center for the first time (3 and 1/2 years of playing and I'd never been to one, its a sad life I live) and I was testing out a few guitars as any loyal customer would, and I came across what I thought was my future guitar: an Ibanez RG3DXFM1 in Blackberry. However, I only got to test it out on a crappy Line 6 Spider 75W, so I really was only going by the playabiltiy of the guitar, not the tone.

Now, normally, I would go ahead and purchase this guitar and just be on my merry way with life, but I've been doing a little more searching, just trying to see if there happens to be anything else that I think I might like to try before I make my final dicision. That's when I came across the Washburn WM24. I looked into it, and I realized that two of my favorite guitarists, Michael Keane from the Faceless and Marc Okubo from Veil of Maya, both play this model of guitar (well, they both play the upper-model, but its the same basic idea). Now, I was intrigued by this guitar. I absolutely love body style, it oozes metal without being too over the top and it seems like it would play very nicely. There's just one slight problem with it: I can't find a store around my area that deals with Washburn guitars, so I can't test it out to see if I'd like it better.

So, what should I do UG? Does anyone know how the WM24 plays and sounds? Or, if anybody has any other guitar suggestions, I have approxamitely a $450 budget for my next guitar, so if there are any other guitars out there that I should look at, please feel free to mention them, but I will say, I've tried Epiphone, ESP, Jackson, Gibson (yuck), and Dean, but not a single one of them matches up to my current Ibanez (SZ320) but this Washburn looks like something that I could really sink my teeth into, figuratively speaking of course.
Why did the Gibson get a yuck? And if you've only got 450$ why did you even try one?

But try out a Schecter model.
I personally paly the same style of music, and i use a Jay Turser Les Paul with Seymour Duncan SH-6's in n + b. Its the most playable neck i've ever touched, its jsut heavy, i highly recommend them, or getting a schecter hellraiser, or Omen 6, and throw REAL Seymour duncans in the guitar, and you'll be set for that sound perfectly.

The real question is what amp you have, because thats about 70% of your tone
Quote by silversoulcage
Why did the Gibson get a yuck? And if you've only got 450$ why did you even try one?

But try out a Schecter model.

Because I absolutely detest Gibson and when I say budget, I really just mean thats all I'm going to spend for now. I have enough for a Gibson, but I don't want to spend that much because then I won't have enough for anything else I might need to purchase, plus I'm a penny-pincher when it comes to money

Quote by Phoenix-Kun
I personally paly the same style of music, and i use a Jay Turser Les Paul with Seymour Duncan SH-6's in n + b. Its the most playable neck i've ever touched, its jsut heavy, i highly recommend them, or getting a schecter hellraiser, or Omen 6, and throw REAL Seymour duncans in the guitar, and you'll be set for that sound perfectly.

The real question is what amp you have, because thats about 70% of your tone

I've got a Burgera 6260 120W Head. Its all tube and it gets amazing amazing tone lol
I'm honestly not a huge fan of Schecter, but I'll give it a try, it just seems like its a trend for all the metalcore bands to play one. I've always found Ibanez to have the best guitars for metal, but Washburn just kinda caught my eye with the WM24.
Bugera's not bad, but i'd rather save up the scratch and get a peavey 6505+, or even a used 5150, since thats what bugera was aiming for when they made that amp, you can kinda see it in the name lol. I never liked ibanez that much, they usually lack the body thickness to get a good thick heavy ton.

And theres a reason so many metalheads are using schecter. They're amazing lol. I jsut have a discontinued LP that JT dosn't make anymore, and its got special inlays and has been broken in like butter, but my back-up will likely be a schecter
Quote by 3rdActguitarist
Because I absolutely detest Gibson and when I say budget, I really just mean thats all I'm going to spend for now. I have enough for a Gibson, but I don't want to spend that much because then I won't have enough for anything else I might need to purchase, plus I'm a penny-pincher when it comes to money

I've got a Burgera 6260 120W Head. Its all tube and it gets amazing amazing tone lol
I'm honestly not a huge fan of Schecter, but I'll give it a try, it just seems like its a trend for all the metalcore bands to play one. I've always found Ibanez to have the best guitars for metal, but Washburn just kinda caught my eye with the WM24.

That's a terrible attitude and way to look at it. There is no "best guitar for metal" that whole viewpoint is elitist little kiddie nonsense. I play metal with a Les Paul, as do 90% of the players in my home town. IMO a Les Paul is the way to go, I play everything from Jazz-Blues fusion to metal and the tone never disappoints.

Just out of curiosity why do you detest Gibson so much? Is it because they make a quality product and have been for over 50 years and you just can't afford to drop 1800$ on one of the best guitars you will ever buy?

And in my opinion Ibanez guitars are terrible as are Jacksons and Washburns.
Quote by silversoulcage
That's a terrible attitude and way to look at it. There is no "best guitar for metal" that whole viewpoint is elitist little kiddie nonsense. I play metal with a Les Paul, as do 90% of the players in my home town. IMO a Les Paul is the way to go, I play everything from Jazz-Blues fusion to metal and the tone never disappoints.

Just out of curiosity why do you detest Gibson so much? Is it because they make a quality product and have been for over 50 years and you just can't afford to drop 1800$ on one of the best guitars you will ever buy?

And in my opinion Ibanez guitars are terrible as are Jacksons and Washburns.

Honestly, I don't like them for the same reason you probably don't like Ibanez, Jackson, or Washburn. None of the Les Pauls, SGs, Explorers, or Flying V's felt natural or comfortable to me. Its just a personal preference

I never said I'm looking for the best "metal guitar" I just said I'm looking for a guitar that suites my style and my tastes. Yes, I did mention that the WM24 body "oozes metal" but that's one of the things I like about it. And yes, I am a metalhead, but I do enjoy Jazz (which I just began doing some studying up on) and I'm pretty familar with the blues. I'm not being an elitiest here, I just know what I like in a guitar, so that's what I'm going to go for
Quote by 3rdActguitarist
Honestly, I don't like them for the same reason you probably don't like Ibanez, Jackson, or Washburn. None of the Les Pauls, SGs, Explorers, or Flying V's felt natural or comfortable to me. Its just a personal preference

I never said I'm looking for the best "metal guitar" I just said I'm looking for a guitar that suites my style and my tastes. Yes, I did mention that the WM24 body "oozes metal" but that's one of the things I like about it. And yes, I am a metalhead, but I do enjoy Jazz (which I just began doing some studying up on) and I'm pretty familar with the blues. I'm not being an elitiest here, I just know what I like in a guitar, so that's what I'm going to go for

In one of your post you said "I've always found Ibanez to be the best guitar for Metal"...that's elitist. But I can respect where you're coming from.

Give Schecter a try, they make a great guitar with a killer tone.
Quote by silversoulcage
In one of your post you said "I've always found Ibanez to be the best guitar for Metal"...that's elitist. But I can respect where you're coming from.

lol I forgot I said that, but its all good. I really just want a good, realiable guitar, but I want it to look good too haha

I'll try to give Schecter a test run. Is there any model I should look into particular?
Quote by silversoulcage

Ibanez is the best metal guitar for his preferences...well thats how i read it anyways

give schecter a shot though
dont count them out because a lot of other people use it
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view